Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on purchasing a new 1911 45 ACP pistol. I need stainless finish, adjustable fiber optic sights, very good fit and finish, and accuracy right out of the box. I have looked at a number of 1911 pistols from upper tier to medium tier quality from a number of manufacturers. I think I'm pretty confident that I have narrowed it down to two guns.

I am looking at the Sig stainless 1911 Super Target full size and the Colt stainless 1911 Gold Cup trophy. Both guns are in the $1,500 range and touted by each company as top of their line. I have handled and put 250 rounds through a friends Colt Gold Cup trophy. It is a very nice gun and I think anyone would be proud to own one. I have not been able to find the Sig 1911 Super Target full-size to try out.

Have any of y'all had any experience with the Sig or the Colt? Any information will be gratefully accepted.

Don

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have owned and carried the Colt Gold Cup National Match for over 30 years. It is the best 1911 I have ever shot over the years. However, I have never had my hands on the Sig. I don't think you can go wrong with the Colt.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Go with the Colt. There is, if you care, a 70's ish Gold Cup on caalex.com for that price, near mint and with box. PM me for details if you care.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Are you looking at some serious competition in the near future? Asking because those both sound like competition shooters.

Reactions: BangBang

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you looking at some serious competition in the near future? Asking because those both sound like competition shooters.
No, no serious competition anyway. Once in awhile I enjoy banging away at pins and plates but it's strictly on a fun level, nothing of a competitive nature. Both of those guns are considered competition ready. A number of professional shooters have taken the Sig right out of the box and competed in pistol events in the upper levels successfully.

I know I could probably lower the price significantly if I ordered the gun without some of the bells and whistles. There are quality guns from both Colt and Sig with less options that are perfectly fine firearms at a appreciable lower price. The thing is however, that when I decide to buy a gun like this I personally enjoy all the bells and whistles while at the same time when I am gone my wife and daughter will get a higher price with the loaded guns then they would with the less expensive models. The guns with all the bells and whistles are basically a niche item and might take longer to find a buyer but that buyer will be willing to pay a better price for the premium gun.

Don

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The SIG is nice, but like S&W's 1911, it isn't a true 1911 in part interchangeability. If looking at wanting a true 1911, Colt is what you want. However, the Sig is an excellent pistol that you should never need to do anything to it to make it better.

Buy the SIG and don't look back. If I'd been a little faster at picking up the one I saw at a gunshow used for $800, it would have gone home with me instead of a friend. Fortunately he's a fickle gun owner and I've got dibbs on it.

Interesting thing is, I've a Remington R1 Enhanced 9mm that shoots as nice a group as the SIG, and the SIG is fantastic in accuracy. However, this is the only SIG 1911 like pistol I've ever shot. Fit and feel was great as well. Before 2019 is out, I'll own it.

Maloy

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The SIG is nice, but like S&W's 1911, it isn't a true 1911 in part interchangeability. If looking at wanting a true 1911, Colt is what you want. However, the Sig is an excellent pistol that you should never need to do anything to it to make it better.

Buy the SIG and don't look back. If I'd been a little faster at picking up the one I saw at a gunshow used for $800, it would have gone home with me instead of a friend. Fortunately he's a fickle gun owner and I've got dibbs on it.

Interesting thing is, I've a Remington R1 Enhanced 9mm that shoots as nice a group as the SIG, and the SIG is fantastic in accuracy. However, this is the only SIG 1911 like pistol I've ever shot. Fit and feel was great as well. Before 2019 is out, I'll own it.

Maloy

Mr. Malloy, I do believe you understand exactly how I feel about this. I have a dozen "true" 1911's. If the new Sig is not an exact copy I can deal with that with no problem. There are a couple of things I really like about the Sig. I really like the way the Magwell is worked into the grips themselves. I think the matte stainless slide with the polished stainless Sig logo and the horizontal bar as well as the other High polished controls looks fantastic.

I do understand how you feel about your 9 mm Remington enhanced. I have a stainless Remington enhanced in 45 ACP and I think it is the most accurate gun for me of any of the 1911's that I have. My Remington shoot better than any of my three Kimber, my Springfield, my 3 Colts, and my plate gun. My Rock Island 1911's don't get anywhere close.

Don

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I think you have your answer, buy the SIG. When I shot his, I didn't have to try shooting tight groups. This was the first time I got to spend any real time with one, and everything fell into place. I've put a magazine or two down range from others, but that doesn't count as experience with one. I put between 250 and 300 rounds through his pistol myself. I will own it if he is stupid and sells it later.

Sorry your experience with RIA wasn't the same as mine. I like them. Mine have been great shooters. I did have to tweak a couple for reliability, but ARMSCOR and SAM have come a long way in the last 15 years. Their biggest flaw is not knowing how to make non ramped barrel 9mm's and Supers run reliably. They are slowly testing and making PARA/Clark style ramped guns in 9mm .38 Super, and 10mm, but those guns are near Ruger SR1911's in cost.

Maloy

Mr. Malloy, I do believe you understand exactly how I feel about this. I have a dozen "true" 1911's. If the new Sig is not an exact copy I can deal with that with no problem. There are a couple of things I really like about the Sig. I really like the way the Magwell is worked into the grips themselves. I think the matte stainless slide with the polished stainless Sig logo and the horizontal bar as well as the other High polished controls looks fantastic.

I do understand how you feel about your 9 mm Remington enhanced. I have a stainless Remington enhanced in 45 ACP and I think it is the most accurate gun for me of any of the 1911's that I have. My Remington shoot better than any of my three Kimber, my Springfield, my 3 Colts, and my plate gun. My Rock Island 1911's don't get anywhere close.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts