Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm new to the 1911 style pistol. (The nearest I've come was a Llama .380 way back in the '70s, which I loved and wish I still had). My question is: How does the Taurus 1911 compare to other 1911s out there for dependablity and real world firing. I will pick mine up after Christmas and can hardly wait. I can only go by the rental range guns I've shot (Colt 1911). Mine will be occassional ccw and mostly a range or field gun when I want a change from my .357 Tracker.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I own two of the Taurus PT1911's in blue and will picking up my 3rd one this weekend in Stainless Steel. I love them, they are will made and very accurate. They are every bit as good as a high $$$ dollar 1911 (Kimber, etc...) just for less money. The only downside I have really heard from anyone is that the powder coat-like finish isn't as nice as a blued 1911, but for a few bucks you can have a smithy blue it for you. I personally like th ruggedness of the finish for field use and everyday carry.

You can not go wrong buying a PT1911... hope I was helpful and maybe "Made your day" (love your Clint Eastwood sig hehehe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DRAEGER,
Thanks for the info on the 1911. I really appreciate another shooters opinion. I will pick mine up after Christmas, since my kids think they need some presents. I have not shot a Taurus 1911 yet, but have rented a couple different 1911 brands at the local range and was surprised how well I could shoot one. I got rid of two different .40s because I got more of a pattern than a group with them. Just don't care for the caliber. I have a couple of other Taurus pistols & revolvers, so "needed" a 1911. Everyone ought to have at least one. I do like the look and feel of the PT1911 better than some I checked out and the price is really good.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I love my PT1911. It wasn't my first .45 but was my first 1911. I checked out other 1911s and I liked the feel of the Taurus better than some others. The gun shoot very and is just all round fun! Also, I like to tinker with my guns, so I don't feel like I am going to break the bank if I happen to really mess it up and need to have it repaired.

The only con about the gun is the finish out of the box is really poor. I had my gun refinished.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
All you need to do now is decided which one you want.

Blued
Blued with accessory rail to put a light on
Stainless Steel

Eventually there will be a Stainless Steel with the accessory rail

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DRAEGER,
Actually, I have already put the blued model without the accessory rail on lay-a-way at a local shop that I deal with quite a bit. It is due to be picked up the first week of Jan and I am getting pretty anxious to get it. Especially since my PT-111 is in the shop (my fault, I think). I like the look of the blued finish with the black grips, but may put some nice wood ones on later. I do carry in a tank bag on my motorcycle sometimes, so the finish will likely get some scratches sooner or later anyway.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Funshooter said:
DRAEGER,
Actually, I have already put the blued model without the accessory rail on lay-a-way at a local shop that I deal with quite a bit. It is due to be picked up the first week of Jan and I am getting pretty anxious to get it. Especially since my PT-111 is in the shop (my fault, I think). I like the look of the blued finish with the black grips, but may put some nice wood ones on later. I do carry in a tank bag on my motorcycle sometimes, so the finish will likely get some scratches sooner or later anyway.

I really don't know why, but I like the Delta Elite wrap around grips so much that I have another pair ordered for my PT1911 AR. I might put them on my Stainless instead. After all they are original Colt Delta Elite 10mm grips, fun to throw off the other shooters at the range. ;) Last month when I was at BlackWater shooting, one guy there had a 10mm and really enjoyed shooting both my Taurus PT1911's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DRAEGER,
Those Colt Delta Elite grips are sharp. I also like that pair of coco bola elsewhere on this site. Personally, I like the dull finish on the gun, too. I'd really hate to get one that I was afraid of scratching and the dark color makes it a better CCW IMO (harder to see, so less likely to draw attention).

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The tough part for me was finding grips that no one else had on their PT1911. Delta Elite grips are by from Rapid Concepts INC. under contract to Colt (only). The real ones are hard to come by, generally not cheap and to make things worse there are tons of fakes out there. If you see blue backgrounds on medallions you know for sure they are from airsoft toys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had my PT1911 for about a month now and I love it. I have shot several other 1911's including Kimber TLE/RL II, S $ W scandium, and S.A. TRP. All seemed very similar. The S & W was very light in weight, but seemed to have increased recoil(due to the light weight, I assume). The Kimber was OK but about every 3rd spent casing hit me in the head as it was expelled from the chamber. The TRP was pretty sweet but nothing spectacular. As far as I could tell, there were small differences in each of these weapons(due to the extensive custom work that had been done on each of them) but they all were the same in standard features (ie: ambi safety, trigger, barrel, slide, etc) Only big difference was price, compare $580 (what I paid for the PT1911) to $1200, what my partner paid for his TRP. Only time will tell concerning longevity/dependability when comparing these different/similar guns, but so far I have been pleasantly surprised and would recommend this gun to anyone. So much, that I carry it ON-DUTY. Hope my opinion helps

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had my Pt1911 over a year. Among others, I also have a Wilson that would be about 3 grand if bought today. I put about 10.00 into the Taurus internally by changing the sear spring and main spring and took about 10 minutes to mate up the sear spring to the gun.

For the average shooter you would not notice any significant difference at combat ranges. Yes, the Wilson has a better finish and a 1/2lb lighter trigger pull. The trigger is a slight bit crisper in my opinion on the Wilson etc. BUT, one operates just as well as the other and shoots just as well until about 15 yards or so when using the exact same mags.

I have shot everything from bowling pins ( back when we used 357s) to ppc and on up. Yeah in the upper ranks of matches the Wilson would eventually shine, but for carry and defending your home and loved ones, I truly beleive the Taurus is just as good.

Yeah we could get into the discussion of a Kia vs a Porsche but most people can't shoot as well as that Wilson or todays premium guns allows, difference wise. I have not had a lick of trouble with the Taurus in over 2000 rounds of a little bit of everything, ammo wise.

The sear spring and mainspring didn't really need changed either, I am just used to a 3 lb break.

Price to feature wise it easily stacks up to many guns costing 300.00 plus more. And feature wise, if your left handed, its nice not having to drop an extra 200.00 off the top to make your new gun shootable. ( Ever had an empty case catch you in the side of the neck or top of the forehead as its ejected because your left handed and the ejection port wasn't lowered? it BUUURRRNS.)

Drop a Nowlin match grade barrel and bushing in the Taurus and except for perhaps the overall strength of some parts and internal polishing I would put it up against the Wilson even at long range or in a match. And you still have less than 1000 in the Taurus.

At least my particular PT1911 has been one of the most dependable and trouble free 1911s I have ever owned to date. The "upgrades" I have done and/or mentioned are or were by no means needed.

And YES, I carry my Taurus.

Brizz

< DISCLAIMER - yes I realize there are a few things I could point out in regards to the Wilson as far as premium or quaility differences but in regards to the question I didn't feel they were relevant and bordering on being nitpicky or saying "look at what I know" , with all due respect. >

1-09-08 I want to apologize. I got an actual "replacement" price on my Wilson over the weekend and it's value is only 2485$. I did not knowingly mean to overinflate the price of it. One of those deals of trusting "someone who was an authority". I don't like to "enhance" things even unknowingly. I forgot to modify this until now Rspectfully- Brizz

·
Registered
162 Posts
Brizzo, you've got me to thinking about fiddling with my Taurus, even though I don't think I'd see the difference. I've been very pleased with the way mine shoots (and the way I can shoot it) out of the box. Taurus has done a fine job in putting this pistol together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts