Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering getting four additional weapons, and I'd like some opinions as to my overall plan and my current intended purchases.

I've been making do with one handgun and and one rifle for many years. The handgun has now been updated to a PT-140 Mil-Pro (2009, but just purchased), and I still have a Marllin 39A .22LR that I inherited. Of course, the 39A has its place, but it is not a good option for stopping people. So I want to enlarge my collection to include some specific purpose weapons. My plans are:

1. Home-defense 12 guage: Nothing specific yet, but a pump or semi-auto. Not going to spend a lot here. Big names and bells and whistles don't matter. I want it to reliably go BANG when I pull the trigger, and without blowing up in my hands.
  2. A higher capacity (hopefully, the capacity option will stay that way) carbine. I was thinking maybe a new generation Mini-30. I've heard that the accuracy issues have been mitigated in the latest gen., especially with some sensible modifications that'll stablize it. Criteria: Reliable, magazine fed, around .308/7.62ish caliber, and somewhat subdued in style. I don't want the nuts calling it an assault rifle, but I want it to fill a similar space. I live where we had three hurricanes hit in 2004 & 2005 (in the eye of all three), and I want to be ready if people ever do a N.O./Katrina type of thing.
  3. A Remington 700. I'm thinking this for its distance, reliability (great reputation), and it's a good caliber for deer and such. Bonus... Two weapons that share the same caliber round.
  4. A .357, probably a 627 Tracker... It has all the components I want. Barrel (6"+/-), frame, porting, etc. Good price point too. Plus it's a Taurus, and I really like my PT-140.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!!!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Looks like you got a pretty good plan. As for that shotgun up here in the "Rust Belt" the LGS are well supplied with used short barreled shotguns ( slug guns ) as in a huge area of the state they are the only approved center fire long gun legal for deer hunting. If you did an INTERNET search to one of GS I'm sure that you will find a good deal, here are a couple to start. www.williamsgunsight.com or www.bullocksguns.com

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
All four ideals are very sound. The only thing I would change for myself is #2. I'd go with a AR15 or a AK47 only because of ammo cost. They're cheaper than .308 rounds to keep a hurricane crowd at bay at a longer distance.

·
Registered
29,959 Posts
Not much can go wrong with the venerable pump shotguns. Good imports can be had in the $200 range. Bump it up to $300+ and you'll get a Mossberg M-500 or Remington 870.

The .308 is an excellent cartridge, for hunting or self defense, but battle rifles in this caliber are a bit pricey. Remington's AR platform .308 (the model R-25) will run you over $2,500.

Good bolt action .308's can be had from Ruger (their American) or Savage at around $300.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Good ideas. My suggestions would be a Maverick shotgun, used mine for years and never had an issue, most people never have. Your second and third choicest are gonna be tough to get something that doesn't look like an assault rifle but is chambered in a bolt action. A mini-30 is 7.62x39 yet I can think of a bolt action in that clambering. I would just get a standard caliber hunting rifle since you honestly don't need 1k rounds for it. As for the pistol I think that is an excellent choice

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
A lot of folks that look to Mossberg go to the Maverick line as well - the 88 is a solid basic gun with an 8 shot mag. What I don't like is no chokes and cyl bore - I would look at getting it tapped for chokes OR get one of the (many) Mossberg 500s with a choke set. Me - I have the 930 with a mag extension and love it.

#2 is going to hurt financially no matter where you go. There are a few dealers out there who are NOT gouging ARs when they can get them. One of the new 'hunting' style ARs in 308 with longer barrels, etc might be a 2 for 1 deal (cat. 2&3) and justify the $$ Example the Mossberg MMR in .308.

#4 with a semi auto in hand it's tough to beat a bad ass wheel gun - just invest in speed loaders IMHO! Of course a Glock 20 (10mm full frame) is loaded with whup azz as well! :cool:

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
77 Posts
A lot of folks that look to Mossberg go to the Maverick line as well - the 88 is a solid basic gun with an 8 shot mag. What I don't like is no chokes and cyl bore - I would look at getting it tapped for chokes OR get one of the (many) Mossberg 500s with a choke set. Me - I have the 930 with a mag extension and love it.

#2 is going to hurt financially no matter where you go. There are a few dealers out there who are NOT gouging ARs when they can get them. One of the new 'hunting' style ARs in 308 with longer barrels, etc might be a 2 for 1 deal (cat. 2&3) and justify the $$ Example the Mossberg MMR in .308.

#4 with a semi auto in hand it's tough to beat a bad ass wheel gun - just invest in speed loaders IMHO! Of course a Glock 20 (10mm full frame) is loaded with whup azz as well! :cool:
Unfortunatley mingaa is right, option 2 is gonna hurt the wallet. The prices have gone through the roof!! A rifle that would normally cost 800 are pulling sometimes 2000 and up, depending on brand.

I use a winchester ranger for my shotgun, very inexpensive to own and reliable, definatley not fancy though.

For long range I love my remington 7600 pump 30.06, I believe the 700 would be a great choice! also marlin 336, great gun as well, and many caliber options.

Good Luck and happy shopping!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I think that you've put a good game plan together, one that I pretty much followed myself ... and then some. As for the actual make of gun, that's down to personal taste but one thing that I'd mention is not to forget the 20 gauge shotgun for home defense. For many years my home defense shotgun was a Winchester Defender pump in 20. In fact it still rests against the wall next to my nightstand. It's been resting there, in a scabbard, for over 20 years. A 12 gauge is still nice to have in addition if you intend to also hunt with it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ditto the Maverick 12g 8 shot. I'm waiting (and hoping) the furor, pun intended:), goes down and I too can afford an AR or similar. I love my .357 but feel like I am in the Wild West when at the range shooting .38s -smokey cough cough! Good luck and lettuce know if you find any good deals.

Reactions: Kevster

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
A mini-30 is 7.62x39 yet I can't think of a bolt action in that clambering.
They are harder to find in the US. One current model I have drooled over is the CZ527 Carbine available in 7.62x39 or .223. CZ-USA -> CZ 527 Carbine

Ruger even made a few in that chambering at one time. Here's just one. Ruger 77 Mark II 7.62x39 * NO RESERVE * 762x39 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Then there are some Serbian made Zastavas.
The Largest AK-47/74 Rifle...

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'd go "shotgun" all day long - in fact I plan to really soon. It's probably the cheapest way to add to your stable which allows you to do it fast. Also, there's not much shortage of 12 ga ammo of most varieties and it's pretty cheap to boot. You can almost drop a few hundred on the 12 ga while you save for the rifle. Right now, buy low (shotgun), not high (rifle). In 6 months, hopefully DC gets a handle on the politics and next Christmas you can get the rifle of your choice for a grand or less. (Just don't shoot your eye out)

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I've been considering getting four additional weapons, and I'd like some opinions as to my overall plan and my current intended purchases.

I've been making do with one handgun and and one rifle for many years. The handgun has now been updated to a PT-140 Mil-Pro (2009, but just purchased), and I still have a Marllin 39A .22LR that I inherited. Of course, the 39A has its place, but it is not a good option for stopping people. So I want to enlarge my collection to include some specific purpose weapons. My plans are:

1. Home-defense 12 guage: Nothing specific yet, but a pump or semi-auto. Not going to spend a lot here. Big names and bells and whistles don't matter. I want it to reliably go BANG when I pull the trigger, and without blowing up in my hands.
  2. A higher capacity (hopefully, the capacity option will stay that way) carbine. I was thinking maybe a new generation Mini-30. I've heard that the accuracy issues have been mitigated in the latest gen., especially with some sensible modifications that'll stablize it. Criteria: Reliable, magazine fed, around .308/7.62ish caliber, and somewhat subdued in style. I don't want the nuts calling it an assault rifle, but I want it to fill a similar space. I live where we had three hurricanes hit in 2004 & 2005 (in the eye of all three), and I want to be ready if people ever do a N.O./Katrina type of thing.
  3. A Remington 700. I'm thinking this for its distance, reliability (great reputation), and it's a good caliber for deer and such. Bonus... Two weapons that share the same caliber round.
  4. A .357, probably a 627 Tracker... It has all the components I want. Barrel (6"+/-), frame, porting, etc. Good price point too. Plus it's a Taurus, and I really like my PT-140.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!!!

Kevin
OK, I'll stray just a little.

1) I'd opt for a 12g coach gun. In tight quarters, it's easier to maneuver. To barrels with 00 will screw up several invaders' weekend.
2) I'd opt for an AR-15 carbine for the same reason. Ammo, when the world isn't turned upside down by the antis, is relatively plentiful and inexpensive, so you can afford to practice with it. As far as "nuts calling it an assault rifle" I wouldn't give one small damn what others thought of my self and home defense equipment. It's a tried and true platform, and the round is a proven SD round.
3) Good choice.
4) Good choice.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth - and you do get what you pay for :)

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

Pardon me divebum but I'll take 8 +1 rounds of 12 gauge 00 buck with the same 18" barrel as a coach gun (and maneuverability) any day - price, that's a different matter. Those worried about the mechanics of a semi auto can get a very similar product in pump. Why have this gun in today's world? 1) In today's world multiple attackers are a reality and 2) Because you CAN!!! :D

Reactions: Lommerse33

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, some great suggestions and plenty of food for thought!

1. I'm leaning towards a pump. Why, multiple shots. I have no issue with a good old fashioned coach, but I never want to be in a position where I'm reloading because I HAVE TO in a REAL HURRY.

2 / 3... I love the MMR idea. That would be a perfect solution, hopefully the higher capacity magazines will be available.

4. This is one I'd really like, but the reason it is #4 is that I feel it is the lowest priority of the bunch. If my PT140 continues to be reliable, I may just pick up a SS version/twin so I have the same ammo and mags...

If you haven't picked up on the theme yet, I really want to stick to a minimum number of calibers.

As far as the "Assault Rifle" thing. It isn't just the nuts that I want to keep quiet, it's the tolerant but unenthused better half... ;)

Thanks again everyone. If you have any other suggestions, please feel free.

Kevin

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
All four ideals are very sound. The only thing I would change for myself is #2. I'd go with a AR15 or a AK47 only because of ammo cost. They're cheaper than .308 rounds to keep a hurricane crowd at bay at a longer distance.
My sentiments, exactly!

Also, Kevster, I think that the Remington 700 is one of the finest rifles ever produced.

I owned one for many years in .300 Magnum and it was a superb tack-driver.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
I have to agree with most everyone with the Mossbergs. It's up to you as to which model you pick. For a long distance rifle, I've always been partial to the Winchester 94 lever action. (too many years of watching the Rifleman as a kid I think) I cannot however deny the way a Rem 700 outperforms the lever action in all ways. For a revolver, anything in .357 as it can also fire 38 spl. I'm pretty sure in an act of desperation you can even shoot 9mm with moon clips though dont quote me on it.
For AR/AK type weapons, look for bullpup designs. they work well in a CQB scenario and can reach out and touch someone if needed.
In respect for bullpups, I'd mortgage the farm for a Steyr AUG in 5.56. and Yes, I do have a problem with reality at times. Reality says it's impractical. my world says " That rifle is awesome, me want"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts