Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I am looking at hollow tip ammo. I was wondering what others experience with Hornandy 185 gr FTX rounds have been? For clarification, I have a .45 cal 1911 from Taurus (of course:)). Thanks!

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
All of the Hornady ammo I've ever shot was top notch. You can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I have loaded the 185 gr. XTP in .45acp, never loaded the FTX. My PT745 did not like the xtp but my 1911 did Hornady makes good products, just depends what you are going to shoot them out of.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I use Hornady Critical Defense FTX or Hornady Critical Duty FTX self-defense ammo in my .357, my .380, and 9mm.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning on using it in my 1911, which from the feedback here sounds like it would be a good match. Thanks for the info guys!!

Reactions: ozzy

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Critical Defense or Critical Duty for me. Anything Hornady is trusted by me.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I was planning on using it in my 1911, which from the feedback here sounds like it would be a good match. Thanks for the info guys!!
This goes without saying but always try what you are planning on carrying.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
well i have used the XTP projectile in both the Fiocchi 380 and the Hornady (FTX) same as the xtp but with a fiber plug in it , as well as 9MM 124 gr XTP rounds.
actually I reload the Hornady 185 grain xtp in 45 acp for my defender size 1911.(3 inch barrel)
it runs real good, but I actually use the 200 grain in full size and commander size 1911's.
I actually like the speer gold dot 200 grain best in the full size 1911.
but the projectile works, it seems to have a bit more penetration than the other manufactures modern defense rounds, nothing scientific just observations on my part.
any modern self defense round will serve you well if you do you part.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
It quality ammo well worth the money.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
but the projectile works, it seems to have a bit more penetration than the other manufactures modern defense rounds...
I've been thinking of picking up some xtp's in 200gr .45., but was hesitant because I read somewhere that a min. velocity of 1000fps
is needed in order to get decent expansion.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
My opinion, you can't go wrong with Hornady.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I've been thinking of picking up some xtp's in 200gr .45., but was hesitant because I read somewhere that a min. velocity of 1000fps
is needed in order to get decent expansion.
Don't know for sure!
If thats what the manufacture says then i would believe it!
I would need to look up the exact data on my 45 acp loads with the XTP, but i am ball parking it at the 200 grain at about 970 FPS, and the 185 at about 1080 FPS.-- this is from a full sized 1911.
Now i am not real big on shooting milk jugs but both expand pretty dramatically when fired into water filled milk jugs.
Now again and this is personal preference but i like the Gold Dot a bit better in the 200 grain, the XTP in the 185.

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
27,638 Posts
It's snowing here...
What does that have to do with Hornady?
During winter months, I depend on Hornady, exclusively, for penetration with heavy clothing.
The elastomer plug prevents clogging with fiber and ensures expansion.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
It's great ammo. I will say, that from all of the research I've done on SD ammo - most of it being curiosity and self enlightenment, I've found that it seems the best all around SD ammo, irrespective of caliber, weight and cost, is the Federal Hydra Shok. But almost any name brand SD ammo is going to be good for it's designed purpose. As others have said, shoot that upon which you allow your life to depend and get familiar with it. Make sure your gun will eat it. All the advice, opinions and research don't mean a thing if the gun doesn't go boom when you pull the trigger. Of if the gun goes boom and nothing good happens. Especially in an SD situation.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I shoot XTP in 9mm 124, 40 S&W 155/165 (hot loads), +fmjbt & sp 55gr in 223 - all great performers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts