Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like everyone's honest opinion on this one. How do you all feel about buying firearms from small time manufacturers? I am looking at several different pistols right now, and some of them come from some small outfits, e.g., Masterpiece Arms, Inter-Ordnance, etc. They seem to be great products, and they come with a lifetime warranty, but what if they go out of business. How do I get parts and repair?

Also, as often happens, if they are purchased by another company, the warranty I had is made void. Now I have owned quite a few off brand firearms over the years, and they have mostly been pretty good. However, I did have a Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm that needed service after the company went out of business. And even though it is a 1911 style pistol, there were enough design changes that there was not direct compatibility with Colt style 1911s.

So, what say you. Should you generally stick with the big boys, or buy a well-designed and manufactured pistol from a small company simply because you like it?

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
A life time warranty from a new company can quickly become a joke for the reasons you mentioned.

I have no problems giving a new company a try; just don't invest too much money till the first product proves to be reliable.

I remember buying revolvers for a flegling company called "Charter Arms" in the early 1970's.

Though they've had ups and downs managment wise they still to this day produce a relibable "tool" to get the job done at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I have several firearms from some manufactures that were not so well known when I bought them that have proved their selves very dependable. I also own firearms from some very large manufactures that are no longer made that are impossible to get factory service on. Go shoot that puppy at a local range then buy it if you like it....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
To me it depends a lot on the design of the weapon in question. A small manufacturer that makes 1911 pattern guns may go out of business, and your warranty may go away, but parts will still be available. A proprietary design, on the other hand, can leave you high and dry on both counts. Personally I like to stick with established designs and companies, but I don't really have anything against the little guys. If they make a quality product I've been known to take a risk. And every now and then having them go out of business actually works in your favor. The weapons become rare, and start commanding some pretty good prices if they were well made to begin with. But in some ways it's like gambling, and the old addage "dont' venture more than you can afford to loose" has some merit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do prefer the larger brand name companys because track record is Important to me..

·
Registered
597 Posts
If the weapon is reliable and functions well, I have no qualms about buying the product. Big name company can go under just as easily as a no name company these days.
On the other hand, no company has just ever started out on the top, all these big boys of today were the new comer no name at some point.
Sure there is risk involved, but like was stated, it may be a good weapon that becomes highly sought after, you just don't ever know, there is risk in everything we do.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
if you like it i say buy it. i don't listen to internet opinions most are embelished at best. i understand your concerns about a small co. if it isn't a radical new design odds are you will be okay. big co. put out lemons, all of them do. i have a kahr pm45 that had to be replaced twice. my kimber tle 2 had some issues. in fact right now Colt has had problems wsith certian 1911's, the dealer i go to recentley sent 4 Colts back,so i would take a chance if you like it.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
If it shoots when i want it to, is within my price range, has at least some positive reviews, and doesn't fall apart in my hands, that's good enough for me. Warranties only last as long as their honored, even Taurus won't fix something made before 1986 (IMSMC), unless you're ready to drop some cash that is. So even established companies have their limits, no matter what they're name is.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I don't worry about it. If you like it and it functions well go for it.

If the manufacturer is around when it breaks great if not... its a toss up between money for a good smith and money for a new firearm in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts