Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I believe this is an operator error issue so I'm looking for some advice...when trying to drop an empty mag out of my 3rd Gen PT145 mil pro it "hangs" up and does not drop out. It'll slide down maybe a half an inch and then I have to pull it the rest of the way. I finally figured out that some how I was holding it to tightly. If I grip it in different ways and vary my grip strength it'll drop just fine. So my question is, is there a "proper" way to grip it while reloading? I've been trying to practive dropping an empty mag and reloading a new one but I can't seem to find a consistant approach. I don't want to just grip it lighter since in a real world situation I gurantee I'll be squeezing the hell out of it!!!

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Remind me not to shake hands with you! If your mashing the stuff that hard.

You know I never thought about that, but when one of the instructors was checking my PT111, the mag would not drop for him, but for me it does. You guys with gorilla grips.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Robby said:
Remind me not to shake hands with you! If your mashing the stuff that hard.

You know I never thought about that, but when one of the instructors was checking my PT111, the mag would not drop for him, but for me it does. You guys with gorilla grips.
LOL

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I really did not even think about your avatar when I said that. I wish I had a good answer for you, but apparently my grip does not compress the polymar enough to tighten up the mag well.

·
Administrator
35,527 Posts
By the way - your avatar is already in use by one of the moderators, Draeger.....if you mysteriously drop off the site, I'll know why......

Welcome to the forum !!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I betcha you probably wouldn't even needed your piece if you could get with in an arms distance of the BG, i'd suggest to most weak grippers to squeeze a tennis ball, in your case ? all metal wepon or maybe practice with a egg and try not to break it :yipee: :shooter:

·
Registered
82 Posts
It could be your free hand technique. Your free hand is positioned near the mag base in order to catch it as you push the mag release button with your shooting hand thumb. However, if you catch the mag before it drops freely, the mag release catch will bind on the top of the mag and prevent it from falling free. Keep your free hand 2 to 3 inches below the mag well and it should drop free.

Also, keep your shooting hand pinky and shooting hand palm away from the ejecting mag.

Some shooters prefer to hit the mag release button with the thumb of the free hand thus holding the palm of the free hand very close to the mag base. This will cause the mag to eject only partially as it binds on the catch, but these shooters do this intentionally as the mag is in control at all times and just needs to be stripped down with the free hand with no risk of dropping it.

PS There is no way your Chimp grip is stronger than my Kung Fu grip!

·
Administrator
35,527 Posts
Don't listen to them Bigdaddy - an iron grip comes in real handy. Especially when shaking hands with another dude....I hate limp wristed softy hands........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts