Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My State doesn't allow it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another message board I frequent this question has come up a lot. Here in Pennsylvania there is no law stating open carry is illegal, outside of Philadelphia you don't even need a permit to carry if it's open.

So, how do you carry? Open or concealed, if not prohibited by law.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I personally do not open carry due to the fact I like to keep the element of surprise. I also do not want to be hassled by anyone about it, especially the police.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Despite it being legal to open carry, I've read too many stories about being hassled bythe cops to want to do it. Yes, it may be legal, but they will give you grief becasue you're "creating public panic" or some such BS.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I carry open in KY, but usually only if I am going to the gun shop, or carrying a bank deposit in cash. I will say, that as all of my trips involve the car that there are two ways to carry in you car from what I read here in KY. Open carry, or in a glove compartment. The gun I carry in the car is The Judge, 6.5", darn thing is almost 13" long, making the total dimensions much more than my glove box. So I use a large paddle holster.

I reread the law just recently, and KY says, I cannot carry concealed even on my own premises. I missed that when I originally checked the laws.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Robby said:
I reread the law just recently, and KY says, I cannot carry concealed even on my own premises.
Interesting. Given Kentucky's reciprocity, a Tennessee resident can do in Kentucky what a Kentucky resident can't.

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
JimL said:
Interesting. Given Kentucky's reciprocity, a Tennessee resident can do in Kentucky what a Kentucky resident can't.

JimL
Oh I can have it on my hip, in a holster for all to see! You however, are allowed to carry in KY, concealed if you have your permit from Tenn. I was saying no CCW for me, it says no concealed even on your own premises.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wasn't sure how to vote. Yes I carry concealed. No for open carry although legal in this state.Got my CCW in Sept and carry everyday everywhere I go. Not many restrictions on carrying in this state and try to stay away from the places where I can't carry.

I carry concealed for the same reason many people give. Element of surprise, not freaking out the sheeple, less harassment from the man etc... ;)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
As soon as I stop buy guns, so I have the almost $200 it will take to get my CCW, I will be taking the course, then the whole picture changes. The Judge will become the house/barn gun, and the PT111 Pro or the 357 revolver I am drooling over will be my carry gun.

I have got to stop typing about that 357, or I will go to their site and buy it. BudsGunShop, has a Rossi, 6 shot Blue 357 snubby, for $262, and they are only 65 miles from my house.

I have carried even the PT111 open, and was talking to local LEO while carrying. His reaction and from I hear most around here, is OK! If I had the CCW, I would not tell anyone unless asked by the LE. I did put it in glove box that day when I went to pay taxes at the sheriffs office.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I carry concealed and wouldn't carry open even if I could although the option would be nice (in other words I would like less restrictions but wouldn't take advantage of this one). To put it another way, I wear my seat belt but I do not like the fact that it is against the law to not wear it.

·
Administrator
40,171 Posts
My state generally doesn't allow it. But I wouldn't even if I could.
:drool:

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Florida used to allow open carry before I moved here. No more.
I wouldn't carry open, anyway. At least not around town. If I was in a dangerous animal zone, I might.

·
Registered
33 Posts
AZ allows open carry, I do occaisionally just for comfort or convienence like walking the dogs. I can grab my PT145 in a paddle holster & slip in on. Since walking the dogs also ties up my weak side hand, open carry keeps it simple with a one handed draw. I do like the fact that when I carry concealed I do not have to be too concerned about my shirt riding up when I bend over or reach for something in a store.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Not legal here in NY, but on my own property (plenty of privacy where I am) I openly carry around house, in the yard and in woods in back of the house.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Legal in Missouri but choose not to. Do not want any extra attention.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I like the political advantage of practicing OC anywhere it is lawful to bring it back into the forefront of law abiding citizens minds. But with MO allowing cities to restrict you better know which ones do and which ones don't. I prefer CC for just that reason.

comet66 said:
I agree with several others, No tactical advantage to open carry.

shhh...Let it be a surprise to the badguy.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I dont carry at all..

i have been interested in OC it's legal in my state anyone who can lawfully possess a firearm may carry it openly.

we do have CCW as well.. and i'd like to get that at some point.. but i still like the idea of OC better.

the problem as has already been said is

1. the general public is gotten away from that since the wild west days and so it's a BIG deal now unless you're cop people get nervous.. and some will even start a loud commotion over it.. yes the cops will hassle you, how many thugs OC? not many.. why the cops think a street thug would walk around with thier gun hanging out i dont know.. it could'nt possibly be that easy to spot a criminal.. but cops are like fish you dangle a worm on a hook.. they can't help them selves but bite at it.

2. the pros to OC is usually a faster draw.. the downside is everyone knows you're carrying.. and a BG's first move might be to go for your gun before you realize there is a threat.
My thought is chambered for CCW and empty chamber for OC.. the problem is any speed advantage you gained from OC is now lost because you have to rack the slide.

3. they're trying ot change the law but currently as far as i know.. you can not OC in a car.. you have to lock the gun up unless you have a CCW.. so this poses a real obstacle for OC.

I probably will try OC at some point i generally like the idea OC both for comfort and i think it would be good if we commonly see people OC'ing.. it gets firearms back into a good light as citizens see law abiding people carrying them safely.. it would also show BG's that "yes i am armed and i will probably kill you if you try something" where as concealed the BG does'nt know till it's to late.. and a survey done with convicted criminals the majority openly admitted they would not bother someone or try to break in a house if they thought the person or home owner was armed.

i think OC and CCW both have advantages, it's good to have options.. and i wish i seen more people OC'ing.. to be honest i can't say when the last time i saw someone OC'ing, it's very rare.. but someone has to be the trail blaser i guess.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not legal to open carry in Michigan, but I carry concealed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts