Taurus Firearm Forum banner

ooops, I can't be in here!

4K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  jimb1972 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Friend was off work yesterday. We ran some errands together etc. She offered to buy me lunch and a beer for helping her with some stuff. Sounds like a plan to me. As we are sitting at the bar drinking our first beer, I froze....oh heck! I can't be in here! My friend is saying what?! She knows I carry but hadn't given it any thought up till then.

She said it's a restuarant/bar. To me it looked like a bar with tables to eat at and pool tables. I'm saying it doesn't matter I'm sitting here at the bar! Needless to say I quickly went out to the truck and deposited my PT709 in the console.

In the 1 1/2 years that I have had my carry permit that is the first time I have gone into any place like that so it just took a couple of minutes for me to "catch up" to the situation. Anyway, no harm, no foul just dirty shorts to change when I got home!

#12 ·
Ditto our state laws here in Georgia. I've not had to worry about what you did, though, as I recognized where I was and just got an iced tea.

I did that the post office the other day.....my stomach dropped when i remembered I was packing..... I just finished and walked out slowly. Never again.
And, ditto this scenario, too. Not condoning it but I only go to the post office about once a year (wife usually does all PO related stuff) and was at end of the day and was in a hurry to get there before they closed. I caught myself after standing in line about 5 minutes. I very consciously pulled my sweater and jacket over my IWB and stood as still as a statue taking tiny, rigid steps as I proceeded thru line - I almost never print or flash but wanted to be doubly sure I didn't that day.

#5 ·
You could have left the part about the shorts out..:)

#7 ·
Glad you dodged that bullet.

Reactions: mingaa and darbo
#9 ·
Yeah I did it once at the Post Office...........I'm halfway through the line when I go..oh snap!....be cool dude, be cool....

#14 ·
Glad that it worked out for you. Had it been an airport, you would probably need a whole new wardrobe.

Reactions: darbo
#21 ·
Apparently, the majority of respondents to this thread do not understand the concept of "shall not be infringed". While I appreciate that you are concerned for matters of law, I am saddened that you are the ones tolerating, aiding and abetting the destruction of our rights. Many of you probably did not mean to help destroy our country, so I am asking you to re-think your position. The 4th amendment just died in Watertown when the government ran through houses because 'it was an emergency" - just as good of an excuse as interring all Japanese during WWII.

To the rest of you who are mad at me, why don't you just admit that you would like to give the government an amended constitution which allows them to regulate your rights and make you pay for them.

#22 ·
What evidence do you have? The footage I saw showed a group of police politely asking to search the home. Were you there or is omniscience just one of your many gifts?

Reactions: Old_Sp5
#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Way to turn this political.

I apologize for continuing the hijack.
I have a friend who lives in watertown. My first question, after "you guys ok?" was "was it a voluntary search?" She said that the officers (in this case, it was FBI HRT and BPD SWAT at her house) informed her of the situation, asked for ID to prove she lived there, and requested permission to search.
So unless you were there, or have firsthand knowledge of the situation, lose the *****g rhetoric.

Back to the topic at hand.

NM, of course, has to be different. Our laws state that CC handguns are illegal in establishments that make less then 60% of profit from food (instead of 51% like most states) or that sell hard liquor. In addition, package sales (off-premises sales) are gun free areas.

On this topic, in Roswell (which, mind you, is oil/cattle country, and pretty liberal about guns) I was having dinner at Applebees with 3 other LEO's. Two local, and a co-worker of mine. All in plain clothes. On the way in, we told the hostess that we cant sit at the bar, so she sat us at a corner table. Apparently halfway thru dinner someone saw that at least one of us was open carrying, and the manager came over. Badges quickly came out, and he actually apologized, and said he didnt know the specific law that applied, and asked if we could tell him. (In this case, Applebees would be a gun free zone due to the amount and type of alcohol sold. LEO exemption for us)

#24 · (Edited)
The 4A part was a minor diversion from the point - and I have the same evidence as you have; news reports.

The thread is about how many people fear the law about all the places they have lost the RTKBA - I am just curious why no one seems to see that we let the government take it. This thread is actually pointing out evidence of rights abuse, and no one cares...

Addition: I don't see much value in claiming that 4A might not have been violated when the purpose of this thread is explaining violations of both 2A and 14A (equal protection under the law - yet different "gun privileges" across the states). I honestly don't mean to anger, but many do not realize why the problem with gun law is so prevalent - it is because we don't enforce our rights.

#29 ·
I do not feel that restricting carry in a bar is restricting the RTKBA, if you don't like it don't go there and your right is in no way restricted.

#25 ·
In Michigan a person with a cpl can open carry in a bar, but not with out a cpl, it would otherwise be a gun free zone. drinking not so much, I never drink at all when carrying due to the possible problems with self defense shooting. And yea we all forget with the light weight and comfortable carry rigs out there its easy to forget , a few times i would walk into the bar for eats and forget to have the gun hit the backrest of the chair, then i would just tuck my shirt behind the gun and im good. it happens , carry often ,carry safe

#26 ·
These sort of regulations make me wonder... What is the purpose? In most states, there is a thorough background check and some form of training required before CCW permit is issued. Therefore, the person to whom a permit is issued is thought by the state to be a 'good risk'. So if that person is a good risk everywhere else, what makes a post office a place of concern. I get that at bars alchohol is being consumed, but if the permit holder has no record of alchohol related or other misconduct, what's the problem?

I know 'that them's the rules', etc.... They just don't seem to have much of a logical basis.

By the way, I in no way mean to advocate intentional violation of these rules.

#27 ·
I've carried into my bank and my doctor's office.

#28 ·
I've carried into my bank and my doctor's office. The bank people were unaware but the nurse may have figured me out.

#30 · (Edited)
A little curious about that. The SCOTUS mentioned in Heller that the right might only apply in your home. Tolerating these restrictions, which vary from state to state, will soon have us relegated to a total loss of rights. The list is very long already with earlier posters mentioning restaurants, bars etc. we already have schools, sports events, post offices, misc govt buildings, parades.

So here is the question, is the judicial test "you don't need to go there" good enough for you, everywhere?

#32 ·
The 4th amendment just died in Watertown when the government ran through houses because 'it was an emergency" - just as good of an excuse as interring all Japanese during WWII.
I see it differently.
They asked. They didn't break the doors down and do as they pleased. The 4th doesn't say they cannot do a search under any circumstances. Just they cannot force the issue without just cause.

If your children were visiting others homes when all this broke out you might think differently.

#33 ·
I carry everywhere daily even some places I am not suppose to, we are allowed to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol (51%) rule but NEVER drink. Guns and alcohol never mix even if it is just 1 drink.

Reactions: woodpile
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.