Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am most curious if anyone has a substantiatied idea why every now and then you find a handgun that only takes it's own brand of mags. Especially in the 1911 format. I understand there will be slight deviation in production from gun to gun. Too, sometimes a Q.A. situation may slip through.

My particular one seems to take any mag, even 30 year old 7 shot mags that just have ".45 mag " stamped on the bottom. I also have a Colt that hates McCormick. I understand some brands don't play well with some guns. But to not accept ANY mag but (for example) Taurus stamped mags for the PT1911?

Is it perhaps the owner has only tried a couple other brands? Perhaps maybe tried some old mags with the feed lips slightly out of kilter from being used for an old surplus gun? The "cram and slam" effect?

I am not doubting anyone's word and do not want to seem accusational. I am just sincerely curious and hope to understand. I have personally never seen a 1911 that will only use ONE specific brand of magazine. Usually a Wilson or McCormick ( one if not both) will work. And MecGar OEMs for a boat load of different handguns and manufacturers. From my limited experience over the years, it seems you can usually find at least a couple other brands that work in a given gun.

Any smiths or good friends of smiths or anyone have personal experience with and/or an answer please?

Respects- Brizz

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
um.. i was just thinking of getting a pt1911, you mean the mags are different or what?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
1911's are known to be finicky as far as what style/brand of magazine they like. Its one of the quirks.

And I'm moving this to the 1911 area for better coverage.

Steelheart

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got a couple of Chippers and a couple Kimber mags, I have not had any problems with either. I did, however, have the slide fail to lock back once. Not sure if thats a mag problem or should have been expected during break in

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 1911 that doesn't like the mag that came with it, but my Springfield & McCormick mags work fine in it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I fired my PT1911 today with the mags it came with, two mags of unknown maker I bought and a Kimber mag. No problems with any of them. The fellow who let me use the Kimber mag had no problems with my Taurus mags. The Kimber wouldn't hold open on the last round with the Kimber mag, the Taurus had no problems with that mag. Go Figure. Must be the gremlin installed in a secret location in each mag.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sirs,

I know 1911s are finicky no matter WHAT brand or make. I am also not doubting a poster's word when he/she mentions that all the mags he/she has tried doesn't feed except Taurus' own etc. I am most curious just what constitutes "only likes brand X".

As I have stated, I am by no means an expert. I know of a few smiths. One even a past pres of the A.P.G. I have worked on my own or had them detailingly explain what they have done to mine and others. But, I do NOT have person X's pistol. I am only going on my 30 plus years of working on and shooting them ( a blip in the life of the 1911). That Does NOT make me know all.

As mentioned, I have a Gold Cup that hates McCormick. I have personally never heard of one that ONLY accepts one brand of mag. I very much would like to know more and understand. I hate unsolved puzzles.

Respectfully- Brizz

·
Registered
60 Posts
mine works great with CMC shootin stars and wilson 47D even works with norinco 7 rounders but hates mecgar mags (tight fit).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought my PT 1911 new about a week ago. It takes the two supplied mags no problem. However, it didn't like my Colt 7 round mag, wouldn't lock in place.

Perhaps you have to use just the 8 round mags?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
My Colt Commander was very finicky, it would work better with aftermarket mags than the factory..
My Norinco i had used everything that was put in it, it was way more realiable than my Colt :D

I think there are so many mags produced that the chance of buying 2 and one works and one doesn't is very high

Must be the gremlin installed in a secret location in each mag.
Hehe...that is so true :D

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
um.. i was just thinking of getting a pt1911, you mean the mags are different or what?
Oh Yeah :D :D
Out of all handguns, i think 1911s have more ways to modify than any others out there..
And aftermarket mags..OMG :eek: :eek:..lol
I think thats what makes them so fun.

It looks like Taurus has done stuff that i wish i could have done on my 1911... and it comes from the factory that way...How cool :D
I would definitly get one if i had the money ;)

Ruger 10/22s and Remington 870 shotguns also have a vast supply of aftermarket stuff..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Regarding my previous post. I discovered that my PT 1911 will in fact take other mags - two Colts to be specific - I just wasn't doing it right. If the slide is back and I insert a Colt mag, it won't lock up. However, with the slide forward it locks in place and feeds perfectly. Duh.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have CMCs that work as well as the originals, and I have a couple off-brand stainless from a trade show that are hit or miss (depending on how clean the gun is). I most often get FTFeeds on those off-brands. Right now, they're relegated to the bottom of my junk box (3 CMCs and 2 Taurii mags at teh range are plenty of shooting at one time...) :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Kimber runs with Kimber, Wilson 8 rounders, McCormick 8/10 rounders, that's all I have.

I don't recommend the ProMag 15 rounders, maybe it'd be OK if you lubed the follower... replacing the follower didn't help.

I had a Colt 1991 (not a typo) that was finicky about Colt mags, I set the "bad" ones aside. Probably could have fixed them if I'd gotten into comparing them and tweaking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a PT1911 and recently bought a Kimber 8 round mag to go in it. The mag would not lock in the gun with 8 rounds loaded, it would lock in with 7 rounds but not feed any into the chamber. I took it back to the dealer and he replaced it, the new one will not lock in with 8 rounds unless I lock the slide back. After that it function fine. A friend had a Llama 1911 pistol, we tried the mag from it and it would only go halfway in. In looking over the so called Kimber mag I believe it is a Chip McCormick 8 round. Here is a picture of the mag bottom so you guys can help ID it. I don't know enough about manufacturer marks.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/tecwizrd/CMmag.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have 2 PT1911's one works with all the mags and the other will not lock open for the Kim Pro and Sig. They both work perfectly for the Wilson Combats and the Taurus, which looks to be an Act/Novak clone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
tecwizrdPT said:
In looking over the so called Kimber mag I believe it is a Chip McCormick 8 round. Here is a picture of the mag bottom so you guys can help ID it. I don't know enough about manufacturer marks.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg116/tecwizrd/CMmag.jpg
TechWizard, I can see why you might think it's a CM mag but that logo doesn't look like the logo on my CM mags that also appears on Chip McCormick Corp's website;
https://www.chipmccormickcorp.com/index.html
I don't know who made it though, so I'm not helping much. Possibly Check-Mate Industries as they make 1911 mags.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info 8times.357. I didn't think to look at the CMC web site. One thing I notice about the mag, it's about 1/2 inch shorter than the Taurus mag. I think it's because Taurus designed their mags to protrude from the bottom of the gun. Oh well it's not a big deal, I thought if we could ID the mag then others would not have the same issue.

BTW, I just checked the Check-Mate site and they produce a mag just like the one in question.

I found out today that M1911.org has an excellent magazine thread to help ID mags. The mag in the picture is a Metalform 8rnd stainless. I only posted this to the thread so that others would not have the problems I have had with these type of mag. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts