1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday, July 18, 2010

Only a firearm can protect you

I write briefly about a new case to emphasize a point I often make:

Whether you like guns or not -- whether you want guns or not -- whether you ever intend to use a gun or not -- if you don't have one when you really need one -- you, and perhaps your entire family will pay the price -- probably with your lives. So, the question comes down to:

Are you willing to sacrifice not only yourself, but also the beloved members of your family -- in order to prove the point on how much you personally abhor violence -- and thereby unwittingly help some low life scumbag successfully invade your home, steal your possessions, rape your children, torture your family -- and then, simply escape with impunity after leaving you, and those you love most cherished and dear -- dead or dying on the floor in growing pools of their own blood?

Well . . . Schoenwetter v. State, 35 Florida L. Weekly 409 (Fla. 2010), certainly illustrates the point. It also illustrates the importance of responding to a serious threat with a firearm in hand, rather than investigating without a means of substantial protection -- ie: a firearm.

In Schoenwetter case, Randy Schoenwetter was a family friend of the Friskey family. He had gone to karate school with their children. Slept over the home on occasion. And was good friends with their son. However, Schoenwetter wasn't all what he seemed. And at 3:00 a.m. on an early August morning, Schoenwetter decided it might be fun to rape one of the Friskey family daughters, ages 16 and 10, so he rode his bike over to the Friskey home. Cut open the screen enclosure to gain entrance to the patio, and then slid thru a narrow opening in a sliding glass door. Once inside, he went to the kitchen, and armed himself with a large kitchen knife. (something that happens very often in break-ins) He then proceeded to the room of the 16 year old, and tried to open her door -- it was locked. He then went to the room of the 10 year old instead -- as an alternate rape victim. However, when he entered the room and grabbed her, she screamed and continued to scream. At that point, her mother and father awoke. Both rushed into her room, unarmed, to find out what the problem was. When they saw Schoenwetter with their daughter, they immediately tried to grab him off their daughter, and managed to tackle him to the floor. In the process they were both stabbed, and Schoenwetter broke free. Instead of running from the home, he knew that the daughter had recognized him, and so he returned to her bed, and stabbed her in the chest repeatedly so she couldn't identify him (remember -- it's dark inside the home). The father, then tackled him again. Schoenwetter stabbed some more. It was a heroic try by the parents -- but they were unarmed. The kitchen knife was long and sharp. It was dark. And Schoenwetter was young and strong. You figure it.

Well . . . Schoenwetter finally flees the home. Dad is dead in a pool of blood, as is the ten year old daughter. Mom is barely alive, and somehow survives -- somehow. Even the doctors don't know how she made it -- they had over twenty full transfusions of blood trying to save her. The daughter who had locked her door -- survived. She was the one who called 911. The son -- was not home. He had enlisted in the Air Force only a few months before -- otherwise he'd be dead, too.

The moral: He who is armed survives. He who is unarmed perishes. Or, to put it another way: The only way the Friskey family could have survived was with a firearm. Nothing else would have been sufficient to defend themselves against this type of attack.

Of course . . . there are other things they could or should have done that might have stopped the home invasion before it began. Not leaving a gap in the sliding door. Having a large dog from a breed that instinctively protects and barks -- might have frightened Schoenwetter away, or given the family time to react. An alarm system. But in the end -- the one thing -- the only thing -- the very thing -- that was absolutely essential -- was missing. A firearm. For a firearm is nothing more or less than a last clear chance of survival in a life-or-death situation.

If that's all you ever use it for -- then whatever you paid for it -- it was worth it.

So, for any of you who may be shy about having a firearm. Who are concerned about how dangerous it can be. Who do not want to take another's life because life is sacred. I say to you:

If life is sacred, if children are dear, if your spouse is truly the love of your life, if your possessions are worth saving -- then you really don't have a choice. Buy it. Learn to use it. Then lock it in a digital safe with a back-up key close at hand-- loaded -- where you can get to it very, very quickly -- and pray to God that you never have to use it. But if that day comes remember: It's there for a purpose -- one purpose -- your survival, and the survival of your family.

Use it -- that's what it's there for. That's all that it's there for. And, when you look in the eyes of your family the next day, all alive, all well, all realizing how close it really came to the end of everything you know and hold dear -- that's the moment of truth when you'll know . . . beyond any reasonable doubt -- that you did the right thing.

Posted by Jon H. Gutmacher at 6:39 AM 0 comments

Labels: firearms, home invasion, homicide, self defense

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I love all mankind but my Christian Charity goes out the window when you want to harm me or mine.

Some folks are just asking for the Mozambue Drill.

Praise the Lord but pass the AMMO.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
The last thing a criminal should even think about trying is harming me and mine. All comers are welcomed to travel the path of blood and brass should they feel ballsy. I'll be more than happy to send them back to whatever god they believe in.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing this poignant reminder of the mindless and savage miscreants who weave themselves into the fabric of society, only to (at some unexpected moment) reveal their beastly selves to the innocents in each and every city across our nation.

Yes, I stand ready to defend my family with a firearm against those who would seek to harm them, whether out on the public streets or within the sanctity of my home.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I go to bed every night praying (and believe me I'm not religious) that I will never have to take another humans life.
But criminals should never take that as weakness that I won't hesitate in a second to do anything it takes to protect me or my family. If somebody broke into my house in the middle of the night the cops would probably have to use a calculator to add up the bullet holes in the perp.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
The lives of my loved ones are sacred to me. Possessions? I can replace those. The phrase, "Over my dead body" has meaning in my house. However, mine won't be the only one if it comes right down to it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think the main problem with defending yourself is that even if armed, we are often not good about situational awareness. Most people who are assaulted in parking lots say they never saw their attacker. Most folks getting car-jacked as they open their car door never see the thief. Almost every self defense instructor will tell you situational awareness is key to survival. The key to personal safety and ensuring your family's safety is to stay alert as many kids and the missus are not as prone to awareness of situations that are dangerous. The daddy that was stabbed in this case didn't start making mistakes by charging into the room where his daughter was in trouble; he started by not having a watch dog or alarm (in an urban area) and have the doors open. We are all guilty of making mistakes of this sort but they can be minimized if we think in terms or the safety of our family all the time. I live out in the middle of nowhere and if we called the sherrif, it would take them 45 min to an hour to arrive in an emergency in most cases so our dogs and self-defense weapons are important but so are knowing shooting lines and having lights/laser sights are also important. Have you ever talked to your missus about clearing a house? Is she trained sufficiently to be a reliable back up or would she be better off manning a shot gun behind a locked door? Things to think about.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I think the main problem with defending yourself is that even if armed, we are often not good about situational awareness. Most people who are assaulted in parking lots say they never saw their attacker. Most folks getting car-jacked as they open their car door never see the thief. Almost every self defense instructor will tell you situational awareness is key to survival. The key to personal safety and ensuring your family's safety is to stay alert as many kids and the missus are not as prone to awareness of situations that are dangerous. The daddy that was stabbed in this case didn't start making mistakes by charging into the room where his daughter was in trouble; he started by not having a watch dog or alarm (in an urban area) and have the doors open. We are all guilty of making mistakes of this sort but they can be minimized if we think in terms or the safety of our family all the time. I live out in the middle of nowhere and if we called the sherrif, it would take them 45 min to an hour to arrive in an emergency in most cases so our dogs and self-defense weapons are important but so are knowing shooting lines and having lights/laser sights are also important. Have you ever talked to your missus about clearing a house? Is she trained sufficiently to be a reliable back up or would she be better off manning a shot gun behind a locked door? Things to think about.
Well stated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for that post, as it should be a reminder to us all, that you never know when evil will enter your world. No matter how much you prepare, or think you prepare, there is always someone who just plainly does not care. Prepare yourself mentally, and with practice, is the best we can do, and when the time comes, and hopefully I never see that time, but do not hesitate to do what it takes, to keep you and your loved ones safe. I am fortunate to live in a low crime area, without many neighbors and the ones I do have, will pop a cap in your butt if needed, still does not mean I let my guard down, I do not go outside out of habit, without a firearm, and I defnatly have one handy at all times when inside the home. If my dogs are making a rucus, I investigate, letting my wife know, where I will be leaving from and where I will be coming back in, and it is known ahead with a knock of how I get back in the home. I chase a lot of barkings at deer, coyotes, and the occasional bright moon, and hope it stays that way.

·
32,573 Posts
It's convincing the innocents who need the protection to buy the gun, have the tenacity and mind set to use it. People think that the though shall not kill means never doing that. It was meant as no murder. For personal defense and the defense of other innocents the Good Book covers the right to do so and the situations in which that can be done. Getting people to understand that can be most difficult. If they do not want to get it reason,common sense and facts will avail them not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A terrible true story Armedpatriot and just why I never leave my bedroom without my Taurus model 85 or Smith Model 10 if I am checking out some odd noise around the house.

You just never know and it's too late to go back and get it if you need it.

Thanks for posting that sad story-it has many lessons in it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
It's convincing the innocents who need the protection to buy the gun, have the tenacity and mind set to use it. People think that the though shall not kill means never doing that. It was meant as no murder. For personal defense and the defense of other innocents the Good Book covers the right to do so and the situations in which that can be done. Getting people to understand that can be most difficult. If they do not want to get it reason,common sense and facts will avail them not.
Murder is a violent act intentionally initiated by malice - killing in self defense is simply survival.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Quiks draw and Slakev:

Thanks for making the distinction between murder and self-defense.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
A sad story. Makes your point well.

Reactions: Armedpatriot

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hank Jr.'s words in "A Country Boy Can Survive" sum it up pretty well:

The preacher man says it’s the end of time
And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry
The interest is up and the Stock Markets down