Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have my talks with those who are anti gun, I keep running across a common them of not needing more than 7 rounds for home defense. When I pose the question where they get that number from, its always met with a response "if you cant stop with 10 rounds, you need more practice". Well I asked how many rounds does it take to kill someone and I always here one. But one shot, one kill is unrealistic. Unless its a head shot, chances are an attacker with a gun will shoot back at you for a few rounds. I am trying to educate people on firearms, but I am consistenly amazed at the number of people who want to limit magazines know so little about self defense. One quick example. I was stating that your arm isnt a stable platform. No matter what grip you use to shoot with, your arm will move. Add in adrenaline and a elevated heart rate, it moves even more. Since most handguns arent crafter for bullseye shooting and most ammo carried isnt top of the line, you are going to get even more movement. To demonstate, jog in place for 45 seconds. Now take a laser pointer and hold it out. I showed how the laser moved around even though it is bullseye. I said now add in recoil and do you think its easy? Answer: not as easy as I thought but you still dont need more than 10 rounds. I think some just want a cause.

But this does have me thinking about sending a letter to the NRA to get them to post some videos (scenario based) why more than 10 rounds can be beneficial for self defense.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Even if 1 shot 1 kill were true, if death was not instantaneous you still have an issue. Most people I talk to dont think about the fact that most deaths are NOT instantaneous and the other person just doesnt give up roll over and beg for mercy. Too many movie scenes show them flying across the room after being shot with a pistol...just sayin...

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Even if 1 shot 1 kill were true, if death was not instantaneous you still have an issue. Most people I talk to dont think about the fact that most deaths are NOT instantaneous and the other person just doesnt give up roll over and beg for mercy. Too many movie scenes show them flying across the room after being shot with a pistol...just sayin...
Most people have 'contact' with guns through TV and films. From that they cannot form form 'reality based' thought patterns. FURTHER Many do not want to hear the real story. At the top of that list - I have had discussions with the Mayor about his position on Bloomberg's MAIG group. He responded that there were too many illegal guns in St. Louis. I advocate using current laws to the limit to deter illegal guns and I offered to set up a citizen advisory council to learn more about legal guns and the people that have them. He was polite but our correspondence has become one sided - once he was re-elected - without my vote...

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
"if you cant stop with 10 rounds, you need more practice"
It's amazing how often we're hearing that lately out of people who have never held, let alone discharged a firearm. I consider the source and ignore it. I'm hoping the rest of the country will keep their heads out of their fourth points of contact and do the same.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
Boston Marathon suspects - How many rounds were fired at the 2 of them by trained professionals? When did they die? The debate on magazine limits should be over, the police proved that 7 or 10 or 100 rounds could not be enough.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
One shot -- one kill.

A question to pose to the, 'Why-do-you-need-more-bullets-than-I-think-you-need-even-though-I-have-no-clue-as-to-what I'm-talking-about-other-than-what-the-movies-and-liberal-talking-points-tell-me' people:

So, why aren't LEOs armed with single shot weapons, since they are so highly trained, and all?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
LAPD put 40 rounds from AR's into a pickup in LA believed to be operated
by rouge cop Christopher Dorner a few months ago. Both women in
the truck walked away.

And you need to stress, these are trained professionals.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think if someone breaks into my home with a weapon an my family is threatened, then im pulling the trigger until hes down and not moving anymore. dont wanna take any chances of them getting a shot off and going thru the wall and hitting my kids. so if you are going to keep 7 or so in it, then go ahead and make it a whole clip. better safe then sorry!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
boston marathon suspects - how many rounds were fired at the 2 of them by trained professionals? When did they die? The debate on magazine limits should be over, the police proved that 7 or 10 or 100 rounds could not be enough.
stop it! Stop it now!!! My liberal brain will explode with this much logic!!!

Reactions: charliemike

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Whatever your capacity, it may never be enough depending on the nature of the fight. I have friends that carry a fully loaded handgun with an additional 2 mags on a belt carrier. I asked one of them what the thought process was and his reply was, "if I could comfortably carry more, I would". I usually have 11 in the gun and a 10 rd. mag on my person when stepping out, not because I can't shoot, it's because if God forbid I'm in a gunfight, I want to win.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Most people have 'contact' with guns through TV and films. From that they cannot form form 'reality based' thought patterns. ...
I've taken dozens of people to the range, to fire a pistol, rifle, and shotgun for their first time. I hear the same thing every time, "(shooting a gun) It's not like I thought it was going to be like, it's nothing like the movies".

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Boston Marathon suspects - How many rounds were fired at the 2 of them by trained professionals? When did they die? The debate on magazine limits should be over, the police proved that 7 or 10 or 100 rounds could not be enough.
200+ rounds exchanged and the BGs only had one Ruger...

·
Registered
24,943 Posts
My carry gun is a 17+1 9mm and that aint enough

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
My carry gun is a 17+1 9mm and that aint enough
Don't kid yourself, it's probably enough. Remember that it should be your goal to shoot to end the threat and leave the area. Getting into a gunfight where you need a second magazine of 17 rounds seems... as unlikely as winning the lottery.

·
Registered
226 Posts
IMO For general self defense, if you fire your entire magazine and the gun fight is still not over, you better be running away. though this is no reason why we should be restricted magazine size , its better to have extra and not need it then need it and not have it.

now if your in a gun battle "war" then no amount of ammo is enough ammo

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Don't kid yourself, it's probably enough. Remember that it should be your goal to shoot to end the threat and leave the area. Getting into a gunfight where you need a second magazine of 17 rounds seems... as unlikely as winning the lottery.
You are absolutely right.

And yet, someone DOES win the lottery, even though the odds are against them.

I'll be more than happy to let someone ELSE be the person who runs out of ammo because they only had what was in the gun.

I carry an extra mag because I really don't want to have to count while I'm emptying the first one.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
It comes down to personal opinions and choices and all of them are valid.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Super Moderator
21,900 Posts
I find it hard to explain to any liberals the why or what of carrying a gun means or is all about. Let alone the amount of ammo. And I vary mine from a 5 round 38 when walking the dogs. To my XD-9 with 3 mags when Traveling or out more then the one block to Kroger.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts