Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was in the grocery and saw a rack of reusable shopping bags for sale and I got to thinking. Often the best place to hide something is in plain sight. It occurred to me that if you had your gun in most any kind of shape concealment, (a box, wrapped in a towel, whatever) you could carry it at a mall in an ordinary plastic or reusable shopping bag and no one would be the wiser. :)

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Or you could get a MAN PURSE!! :D and carry it over your shoulder!!! :???:

Well actually the bag in the hand idea is feasible, if you want to carry that way. I can see problems if you drop it on the counter, with a mighty CLUNK!, while your looking at items, or paying for what you bought.

While it would be concealed, I can see that being as much fun to get into action, as a holster that fits in your crotch, or ankle with tight pants. I do have an ankle or boot top holster for Derringers, and an inside the pants type for other guns, that I am not comfortable with yet but will use when I have too. Ok so they do not fit that much in the crotch, but if I carry at the 1:00 to 2:30 area, it sure feels like it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Or what happens when mall security sees you walking around all day with the same sack you walked in with.

They ask to see your sack and recipts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
godadone said:
Or what happens when mall security sees you walking around all day with the same sack you walked in with.

They ask to see your sack and recipts.
I don't care what they say I am not showing mall security my sack.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
godadone said:
Well, if you really want to walk around a mall for the whole day long I'm sure you're welcome to do so - with or without a shopping bag.

Good grief! Even if I were fool enough to walk up and down in the same mall for a whole day I've have sense enough to have more than one kind of something to carry. Has the world totally lost it's entire supply of imagination?

I didn't suggest that everyone get exactly the same kind of paper bag or box or sack or packet or purse or book bag or fanny pack or plastic bag. I didn't say whether it should be carried in your hand or looped on your belt or sling over your shoulder or stuck in your pocket or hung around your neck or anything.

It's a darn good idea for someone - maybe a lot of someones. Even a simple plastic bag would hide your piece for a while, and I didn't say anyone would be hung at sunrise if they didn't do it for three hours or whatever. As for how hard it would be to get it out of such a bag, or whatever, I didn't say anybody using the idea would be forced to remove it from that bag before they could shoot it.

Imagination? It has disappeared from the earth! :bang:

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
grouchy hippo said:
I don't care what they say I am not showing mall security my sack.
Yeah I screamed with laughter of that on too! :thumb:

godadone said:
I laughed so hard, I almost pooped my pants.
Well, after some of the jokes and senarios posted here, I usually go to the Bathroom before I start reading!! :rolleyes:

JimL said:
Imagination? It has disappeared from the earth! :bang:

JimL
Sir, you have enough imagination for the rest of us, YOU MAKE ME THINK SO MUCH THAT MY HEAD HURTS, between laughing, crying and saying "OH NO HERE WE GO AGAIN" :deadhorse:

If you ever stop probing the mind and coming up with questions that many of us might not ask, I would be very upset. :D

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
could always get a fanny pack.. not exactly in style anymore but it would do the trick., esp good for a snub revolver.

·
Administrator
40,158 Posts
Anyone ever heard of a holster? Couldn't resist. :drool:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya but for ultimate concealment the bag idea would probably be the best, not the best for getting the gun out but probably the best at concealment..

on the other hand that bag trick wont work everywhere.

·
Registered
846 Posts
This is too good. I still love the man purse. Guess I'm just an old fashioned Texan but the words man, purse, gun never seem to work in the same sentence to me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
joe sixpack said:
ya but for ultimate concealment the bag idea would probably be the best, not the best for getting the gun out but probably the best at concealment.
One of the best places to hide something is in plain sight, making it look like it belongs.

on the other hand that bag trick wont work everywhere.
Options, options, options.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
joe sixpack said:
that bag trick wont work everywhere.
Gun to big to conceal? Alternatives to holster:

Construction site - tool belt

Church - hymnal case

Office - brief case

School - book bag - OOPS!

Hiking - belt bag type first aid kit

Cable guy - tool box

Pole dancing - your imagination

Ball game - ridiculous hollow foam NUMBER ONE finger

Shooting competition - holster

Mean boss's office - hand

Paramour's office - both hands

Mall - shopping bag

Opitons, options, options! Imagination, magination, imagination. :deadhorse:

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Oh gee, we opened a can of worms on this one! I actually like the original Idea, If I can scroll back and find out what it was.

Yep Options!! We all might need em, if the repeal the 2nd!!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I like JimL's 'out of the box' thinking. I have been thinking a lot about this subject myself since I am new to CCW. I am here to learn, not educate. So, I will ask those who have far more experience than me to provide feedback to my train of thought.

I have come to the conclusion that a concealment method that allows a person to quickly present their weapon unexpectedly with minimal, non-threatening movement is the ultimate goal -- like a magician that has your attention focused away from his next surprise.

Toward that goal I have been reviewing different methods of carrying, traditional and non-traditional. One non-traditional method that I have not seen discussed is an up-the-sleave type of holster, attached to the weak side, inside forearm in winter (with a loose fitting 3/4 sleeve) and the bicep in summer. I would think this method of carry would provide quick one-handed access from an area of the body not typically seen as threatening. Opinions?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VegasGuy said:
One non-traditional method that I have not seen discussed is an up-the-sleave type of holster,
I'll assume that, like myself, you're not suggesting this as an end-all, be-all solution, rather an option. (Who can be against options?)

Apparently you're talking about a pretty small gun as opposed to a 1911 up your sleeve. ;D

In that vein I was just reading about a KGB gun in (on?) a worn glove. The long black KGB coat sleeve covered it. It was triggered by a plunger on the back of the fist. Punch him in the whatchamacallit and you've shot a hole in his whatchamacallit. :shooter:

A bit similar to your sleeve carry is the armpit carry - a shoulder holster that holds the muzzle where it could make a nice hole up through your shoulder bone if you had a twitchy gun. :eek:

JimL

PS, Altho I've never drawn a gun from a bun, even a big one, thanks for supporting my out-of-the-bun thinking. Hm, maybe a loaf of bread? :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I guess you could wear one of those fluffy type pirates shirts, I aint touchin this. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts