Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Just another example of your government hard at work, finding ways to fill its coffers with
your hard earned money. Traffic laws are an necessary evil, with them, there are plenty of
bad drivers on the road, without them the highways would be chaos. The enforcement of
them with traps and spurious methods mentioned in the above article is nothing short of
robbery. Red light cameras should be banned, they are nothing but a tool to make sure that
big brother watches over you. I am not a fan of seatbelt laws either, I wear my seatbelt
because it makes me safer when I drive but if someone wants to be brave or foolish enough
not to wear one, that should be their choice. Individual rights are almost non existent in
some parts of the United States today. If the right to bear arms is taken away, it would
be the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to personal freedom.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
What's a "Gadsen Flag?"

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
State police should be dis-banded. They are nothing more than revenue collectors for state governments. They are not needed when you have city police ( the guys that solve crimes) and county sheriffs. Why all the overlapping? Another revenue only so called "enforcement" branch that should be dis-banded is the damn BATFE

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's a "Gadsen Flag?"
Ooops, sorry I misspelled that "GADSDEN" I am only on my first cup of joe..Hell it's only 8:30 am here

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
I guess, after reading the story your Gadsen flag is about the same as my "Really P.O.'d flag....lawmakers are on the verge of being more like law breakers in my book....no wonder they want to take our guns away....these speed traps should be construed the same as highway robbery!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Using deception and a fake road hazard seems to have little to do with safety , it unnecessarily creates a danger that has no business being there. I smell a lawsuit given the capital to do so.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
How is this even legal?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I been driving a tractor trailer for the past 34 years (approx. 4-5 million miles) and I don't even want to get started about some of the shenanigans I see from some cops about writing tickets.
About a month ago I got a $130.00 ticket in Maryland because my windshield washer didn't work.
It was low because the reservoir had a hole in it and it leaked out. He didn't care and wrote the ticket anyway.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
After reading that article, all I can say is, any law enforcement agency that advocates that kind of crap
is nothing more than a bunch of low down dirty rotten thieving bastards!

And I do not mean to tarnish the name of the good honest LEOs out there.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I am going to disagree w/ you a little bit on the State Police issue -- they provide much more in terms of service than just handing out fines. However, you have raised an interesting subject in terms of traffic issues. The big one which we are having right now in IA is traffic cameras. The public hates them, but the state is really hard core for them -- what do you do?

On the positive side, Minnesota actually did something pretty common sense when I was still living there. Making left hand turns at stoplights is not always that easy on a motorcycle, because getting the light to trip is difficult. Well, the state passed a law which said that if the light does not change after a reasonable time, and it is safe to do so, you can turn left on red. I couldn't believe it. It is one of the most commons sense things that I have ever seen the government do.......

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I been driving a tractor trailer for the past 34 years (approx. 4-5 million miles) and I don't even want to get started about some of the shenanigans I see from some cops about writing tickets.
About a month ago I got a $130.00 ticket in Maryland because my windshield washer didn't work.
It was low because the reservoir had a hole in it and it leaked out. He didn't care and wrote the ticket anyway.
I can do you one better. I was riding with my brother one night, and we got behind an Alabama State Trooper. No biggie, he was doing the speed limit, so we settled in. About 3-4 miles later, the right headlight blew. No biggie, we have a spare in the truck, we figured we'd change it when we got to the truck stop at the next exit. The trooper flips over in the left lane, jams his brakes, falls in behind us, and flips the blues. $210 for "faulty safety equipment". The judge reduced it to $150 because my brother didn't have a receipt for the light bulb.

·
Super Moderator
13,789 Posts
Albuquerque had red light cameras for some years. Then the state of New Mexico said they could not use them on any state roads or highways, so those were off. Then the public raised such a ruckus that the whole issue was put to a vote...red light cameras lost. Today, no red light cameras in Albuquerque.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Seat belts are a good idea anyway.
Even before wearing them was a State Law, the Military required them to be worn on Base. (This was back in the 70's for me)
So I just kept them on all the time.
And as Bill Cosby once said, "The ambulance driver is too lazy to look for the body" after an accident, which is why seat belts should be worn.

·
Super Moderator
35,566 Posts
The city of Chicago got the state legislature to rubber stamp their speed camera plan for school and park zones. It should be amusing to see how many millions of dollars that this program stuffs into the city's coffers in just 2012. I refuse to go into the city by automobile anymore, which is probably what their goal is anyway. Here's the latest tweaks per one of the "Alderthugs".

http://chicago.everyblock.com/announcements/apr13-summary-amendments-childrens-safety-zone-ordinance-speed-cameras-4904225/

T
he city has tiny little parks all over the city proper, some in the middle of blocks. It should be interesting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't see the problem with red light cameras PROVIDED they give you ample time to stop. As long as you don't drive like an idiot and realize that once it turns yellow, if you have time to stop you need to stop, and not go faster to get across the line before it turns red, you shouldn't have any problems. But as for the perminant construction, that does linger on the edge of being a public hazard i guess, although i guess in most places it may be legal as long as they have all the proper signage. If they don't then people need to take it up with someone, most likely at the ballot office.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It is all about REVENUE. Nothing else. They are merely tax collectors. Mad kaw's post right above this one says so in the first two lines of the story.
In fact I wonder if you got a few cases of this >
and stood on a camera corner with a big ass sign reading " anti traffic camera paint for sale" I wonder what the revenue officers would say? And I bet with a case discount, you could make a nice little profit ..say 50.00 bucks a can?
But the whole point is not cameras or speed traps..the point is the scams they do to get your money are most likely illegal, shady and have nothing to do with anything but collecting cash

1 - 20 of 21 Posts