Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've shot this model 82 a couple of times without any difficulties - until now. I'm guessing it may never have been taken apart for a thorough cleaning or tuning or anything else for that matter - other than me, just doing the basic "after shooting" cleaning (Hoppes/CLP, et.al.). I absolutely don't know the history of this gun - it was a surprise to my MIL that he even had it. It does appear to show a little holster rash (i.e., worn bluing) at the muzzle area but that's pretty much been it, up until this third trip to the range with it.
--
(Don't think this matters but I was shooting Federal American Eagle 130gr FMJ RN target type rounds). And even though it's a DA revolver, I was shooting single action - pulling the hammer back each time to shoot. After shooting a couple of loadings; I was going through about the third loading of the six cylinders and I noticed on one cylinder, the hammer is exceedingly difficult to pull back into the cocked position.
When I got home, I played with it some more (unloaded, of course) and I would count the hammer 'draw backs' (and releases) and sure enough, it seemed to be pretty consistent: about every sixth pull back of the hammer and cylinder rotating into position, the hammer became really hard to cock. I could do it but it would take noticeably more strength to draw the hammer back. On all the other cylinders, pulling back the hammer is smooth and no problem. What's going on here? (and is it something I can fix or would it be better if I take it to a *real* gunsmith?)

·
Registered
91 Posts
since you are unfamiliar with the internals of the gun I'd recommend disassembling it completely, cleaning it thouroghly, inspecting all of the parts CLOSELY, and then lubing & re-assembling it. This will eliminate any issues of crud that could be hampering the weapons function and give you piece of mind shooting it.
You would be amazed what happens to a gun that sits for even a couple months. Just like a car, if it sits the oils change and need to be replaced.
If you are nervous about it just go slow and keep the questions coming. also keep the dissasembly page open.... It won't take you too long and you'll learn alot.

·
32,619 Posts
since you are unfamiliar with the internals of the gun I'd recommend disassembling it completely, cleaning it thouroghly, inspecting all of the parts CLOSELY, and then lubing & re-assembling it. This will eliminate any issues of crud that could be hampering the weapons function and give you piece of mind shooting it.
You would be amazed what happens to a gun that sits for even a couple months. Just like a car, if it sits the oils change and need to be replaced.
If you are nervous about it just go slow and keep the questions coming. also keep the dissasembly page open.... It won't take you too long and you'll learn alot.
It would be advisable to take the gun to a certified local and trusted gunsmith and let him/them take a look at it. All used guns should be inspected so and by the owner prior to shooting or buying. Or both. :)

If you are a not mechanically inclined then the taking the gun in to be inspected would be a good idea. As you stated. You do not know the past history of the gun.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/22219-taurus-revolver-disassembly-pictorial-guide.html

If you are mechanically inclined here is the link.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
If that revolver worked well before, perhaps there is some crud not allowing the extractor star to seat flush into the cylinder.

Typically, if one chamber is hard to line up with the bore while cocking there could be a timing issue between the hand, extractor ratchet, and cylinder stop.

However, it is possible that if the extractor star is not seating flush with the cylinder it could amplify a non-binding cylinder into a binding cylinder even if only on one chamber. Another possibility is fouling built up on the face of the cylinder where is rotates past the forcing cone of the barrel. One chamber's cylinder gap might have a tighter dimension than the rest and fouling could shrink that dimension to the point of binding, too.

Check to see if the extractor rod is tight in the cylinder as well. That keeps the extractor star tight in the cylinder. It should be left hand threaded.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions !

Chicharrones, yes the gun was shooting fine previously. Sometimes just knowing what to look for is half the battle and you've given me several excellent suggestions. I definitely follow what you're saying about the cylinders rotating into the correct position and something along those lines appears to be the real problem. I'll go and look in greater detail - I haven't cleaned it yet from this past weekend's shooting so I'll be looking closely into those areas you've suggested. I'll post any results {hopefully, solutions} I run into, in a few days. Thanks again! :thumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update on my old model 82

Just a quick {interim} update on the continuing sage of my vintage (cc 1970s) Model 82 (.38 spcl).
--
Well, after following Chicharrones' [which I've come to learn means, 'fried pork rinds'] advice to thoroughly inspect and clean the cylinder/ejector action, that still didn't solve the problem. And yes, here goes...I'll say it: I whimped out on taking it apart. I went back and reviewed Chicharrones' sticky and comments from Qwiks draw, Tazman1602 and a few others and decided I could easily get in over my head trying to repair this old model myself and wind up with a pile of parts! So I made the decision to ship it to Taurus (via UPS) and received a letter dated 19 January from their Customer Service department with the header, "Warranty Repair" and a Service Order number. So I was cautiously optimistic they may actually service the thing and get it repaired. In all my correspondence with them, I had only expressed the desire to have it repaired. I was aware Taurus may offer to replace it with a new model but I never mentioned that in any of my correspondence with them.
Well as of today (24 Feb.) it happened; I got a letter from Taurus saying they only offer the warranty on guns imported or made by "Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc." and that my old model revolver wasn't covered under their warranty since it wasn't imported or made by this company. Since I had heard this scenairo was a possibility, I had already been thinking about what to do if faced with this decision. So the decision was pretty much already made; I've taken them up on their $100 new model replacement offer (which will come with their full life time warranty).
--
Maybe not exactly how I had hoped it would play out but at least I don't feel like I've lost ground in the deal. I'm thinking there must have been a part cracked/broken/or chipped in the old model...something that would have kept them from just doing a thorough cleaning job and returning it to me....but who knows?...
So I guess it's, "Adios old model 82" :wave:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just a quick {interim} update on the continuing sage of my vintage (cc 1970s) Model 82 (.38 spcl). .
I've taken them up on their $100 new model replacement offer (which will come with their full life time warranty).
Hi,

Did they write to you about this offer ina letter? Is there any way to get a copy of it. My gun has a problem with its cylinder getting stuck almost always after each shot. I spoke with a lady today and all she said that the gun is not covered because of the same reasons you specified.

Thank you.
Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yep'ers, they did send it to me in a letter. And while it's quite out-of-character for me, I didn't keep a copy of the letter. Since making a copy of it would have just meant further delay (on my end) and the decision on the course of action was already settled, I simply endorsed the letter with the method of payment and sent it back on it's way to them.
As I understood, they have a small "gunsmith workforce" onsite so I just took the chance of sending them my old revolver, in hopes they could/would be able to fix it. I figured their gunsmithing charges ($$) wouldn't be any worse than what local [Dallas] gunsmiths would charge and I'd probably be better off if "factory" gunsmiths did the repair work. Thus, the decision to send it in.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thank you. Do you know if your Taurus was imported by C.A.I? It should read so, I believe, on the left side of the gun.

Thank you.
Cheers,
Mad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts