Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried shooting my 740 with one hand today. I had been thinking that it would be a good thing to practice. I loaded only one round at a time with an empty mag. To my surprise it went pretty easy. I worried that the gun might fly out of my hand with that first shot and what the recoil might feel like. After that first shot I smiled to myself and thought that wasn't bad at all. I ended up going thru 2 mags easy!:D

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
This is why they are called "hand guns" and no "hands guns".

Everyone whi depends on a hand gun for self defense should be practicing strong hand only and weak hand only.

You never know when one hand may be disabled, or busy fending off blows while the other is trying to draw.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Me personally I have a slight disability and the only way that I can shoot is one handed, and I like some pretty powerful guns like 45's and 44 mags :p

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to have to work up the nerve and try using my weak hand. I bet it will be a humbling experiences!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am blessed to be ambidextrious, and can shoot with either hand, and do shoot a lot one handed...and yes, one of my weapons is the 740 slim....i love that gun !!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm going to have to work up the nerve and try using my weak hand. I bet it will be a humbling experiences!
It's really not that bad. Getting to the safety without fumbling the pistol is the hardest part...I'd practice that dry firing before heading to the range just to be safe. :thumb:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've practiced with my 45 single handed but i haven't tried it yet with my 709. Guess that's the program for the next trip to the range.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I practice shooting one handed during every trip to the range. I find it challenging, exhilarating and I‘m actually starting to shoot fairly well during the drills. I do this with my 9mm, 38 special and 40 s&w. The 40 is a real hoot!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I tried the left hand today! Not that bad I just have to think a little harder to keep on target. I think the recoil is not so bad one handed because your arm can give a little more!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Working the safety on the 740 left handed is a little goofy!

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
When I decided to try my Ruger Vaquero .45LC one-handed, I was a bit leery: didn't want to drop it and scratch up that polished SS finish.
But, heck, that's the way cowboys do it, right?
Wasn't that bad at all. Now I gotta get a longer thumb so I can cock it without changing my grip.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have shot my 24/7 G2 in 40 one handed (weak hand) and it was harder than I thought trying to site in the target. The actual shooting was not that bad however I did notice that I was gripping the gun quite a bit harder than I usually do. I guess I still need to practice some more weak side one handed. The strong hand was fairly easy and I was suprising accurate with that one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"Everyone who depends on a hand gun for self defense should be practicing strong hand only and weak hand only."

Well still practice 2 hands!
I know what you meant, it's rare to do a self defense scenario up-close-and-personal where you won't be firing single handed, or disadvantaged. And, one handed shooting...image that comes to mind is the old WWII photos of the soldier with 1911 .45acp pointing downrange, arm fully extended, firing. UH-NOOO

Practicing with one hand should be very close, firing weapon as soon as clearing holster and horizontal, weak hand up in defensive posture, for example.
Something realisitic.Possibly even touching distance.

Just a suggestion if you've never done it in practice!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good idea to do that. I always fire a few rounds one handed with both my strong and weak hand. We ended our quarterly qualifications that way and I continue the practice. I have known people shot in their strong hand and they have to use the weak hand to stay in the fight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts