Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
bought my granddaughter a S&W 640-2 (lightweight snubnose 38 special). It was her choice when handling firearms one day browsing. It was not her first pistol. She had an older Bersa, that I had provided her a long time ago, but she had some ammo issues with it. She had not shot the revolver, yet, after a couple of months (living in the city, making a living, etc. kind of got in the way). We all head to the range over the weekend with an assortment of firearms.
After just a few rounds, I can tell the little snubnose is not for the granddaughter (did not think it would be). She shoots her boyfriend's Sig 2022 .40 S&W just fine - one of my old guns. I suggested she shoot my wife's Sig P238. She loves it (figured she would). At the range's shop, she handles a few guns and lands on a P238 Nightmare (black, with night sights) but says not to spend the money now.
So after taking the kids home, wife and I head back to the range and buy the P238. While buying, it both wife and I see a used Springfield Range Officer Compact .45 acp that catches our eye. Salesman hands us a half box of ammo and sends us to the indoor range. At five yards wife keeps her 5 or so shots in the middle and at 7 yards, they drop a little. I do OK, but enjoy the shooting. The look on wife's face says we will buy the new toy with its five mags.
The granddaughter loved her new P238 and gave me the revolver (which I really kind of wanted for a pocket gun).
So an expensive, but fun weekend.
Found out the next day, granddaughter and her boyfriend are moving from the big city to our little burg, so perhaps her and I will get some more regular range time.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Nothing beats family day at the range.

·
23,210 Posts
You are truly blessed!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are truly blessed!
Yep. Did not dawn on me until a few minutes ago, with the granddaughter coming this way I should have someone I can go to the range with from time-to-time.
My wife rarely goes with me - preferring to shoot on family property in West Texas. We only go out there about 3-4 times a year.

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
Yep. Did not dawn on me until a few minutes ago, with the granddaughter coming this way I should have someone I can go to the range with from time-to-time.
My wife rarely goes with me - preferring to shoot on family property in West Texas. We only go out there about 3-4 times a year.
Now that's something to look forward to, having your granddaughter for a regular shooting buddy!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing. Wonderful that she is interested.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
bought my granddaughter a S&W 640-2 (lightweight snubnose 38 special). It was her choice when handling firearms one day browsing. It was not her first pistol. She had an older Bersa, that I had provided her a long time ago, but she had some ammo issues with it. She had not shot the revolver, yet, after a couple of months (living in the city, making a living, etc. kind of got in the way). We all head to the range over the weekend with an assortment of firearms.
After just a few rounds, I can tell the little snubnose is not for the granddaughter (did not think it would be). She shoots her boyfriend's Sig 2022 .40 S&W just fine - one of my old guns. I suggested she shoot my wife's Sig P238. She loves it (figured she would). At the range's shop, she handles a few guns and lands on a P238 Nightmare (black, with night sights) but says not to spend the money now.
So after taking the kids home, wife and I head back to the range and buy the P238. While buying, it both wife and I see a used Springfield Range Officer Compact .45 acp that catches our eye. Salesman hands us a half box of ammo and sends us to the indoor range. At five yards wife keeps her 5 or so shots in the middle and at 7 yards, they drop a little. I do OK, but enjoy the shooting. The look on wife's face says we will buy the new toy with its five mags.
The granddaughter loved her new P238 and gave me the revolver (which I really kind of wanted for a pocket gun).
So an expensive, but fun weekend.
Found out the next day, granddaughter and her boyfriend are moving from the big city to our little burg, so perhaps her and I will get some more regular range time.
I’m a long ways from grandkids (3 yo child is oldest) but can’t wait for these outing with her and my soon to be son. Then with grandkids lord willing I love long enough to see them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Regarding this thread title

Yeah, those thangs reproduce faster’n rabbits.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Don't rightly blame her.

I'm over 6 feet tall, over 200 pounds and have been shooting pistols for over 40 years. I'm not recoil sensitive. My daily carry is a steel frame, DAO, 5 shot .44 Special revolver and I own- and shot- more .45Colt pistols than any other caliber including .22. I despise Airweight J frames. I would rather shoot .44Mag all day than shoot 5 .357's- or even heavy bullet .38+P- out of one of those things.

J frames don't weigh enough to bother with a light weight version. The difference between a steel and Airweight frame is all of 7.7 ounces empty (that's from the S&W site, models 640 and 642 used). Not a lot for carrying but that half a pound makes some difference in recoil.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Best part of the whole story. I hope you get to spend many days with your grand daughter; and all grand kids, shooting and doing what ever you have fun doing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I married into a family. My wife is 14 years older than I am and I am 60. I already had a son in high school and a daughter in college when I married :) My granddaughter was born a year and a half after I married her grandmother. So I have been married 30 years and have a 29 year old granddaughter (also have a 10 year old granddaughter). So, in reality she is more like a daughter to me. First time she handled a gun was when she was 12 or so and that was a 30-30 lever action and a .45 acp RIA 1911 (not good choices to start with considering I had plenty of .22s at the time).
As to JTG's comments on the featherweight. It truly was her choice and she handled lots of revolvers as well as semi automatics. Oddly enough her second favorite firearm to handle was a .380 Remington 1911. I was fully expecting her to pick a glock 43 or 34 (the single stack .380) as she had told me previously she really liked that gun. I like the featherweight for my purpose - pocket gun. I don't have any other j-frames. Do have a couple of K-frames. Once had a Colt Agent (wish I still had it).
I am really looking forward to working with the granddaughter on her sig. I have a m&p 22c that my young granddaughter shoots some along with a .22 henry youth rifle.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
One gun leads to another ?
[SUB][/SUB]
The Fix is in.
But when one little cross leads to shots, grit your teeth
You run for cover so discreet, why don't they

Do what they say, say what you mean, and baby
One thing leads to another
You told me something wrong, I know I listen too long but then
One thing leads to another...
<span style="border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; clear: none; line-height: 20.52px; padding-top: 0px;" jsname="YS01Ge">

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One gun leads to another ?
The Fix is in.
But when one little cross leads to shots, grit your teeth
You run for cover so discreet, why don't they

Do what they say, say what you mean, and baby
One thing leads to another
You told me something wrong, I know I listen too long but then
One thing leads to another...
<span style="border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; clear: none; line-height: 20.52px; padding-top: 0px;" jsname="YS01Ge">
Someone picked up on what I was trying to do with the title.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts