Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Never thought Id be eyeballing wheelguns but here I am. Its not that I cant afford a 686 or a Blackhawk Im just not willing to spend the 700 or so dollars. Im a striker fire shooter all day minus my 1911. Even so Id like to add a 357 revolver to my collection, So Im looking at a 4" blue Tauri 66 with adj rear sights and also eaa Vindicator. From what Ive read the eaa has a rougher trigger than the Taurus 66 aside from that their roughly the same price. Ive read all kinds of bad junk about Taurus qaulity from other gun forums "Taurus guns are so crappy they cause cancer and what not" lol but I want to hear it straight from the guys that own and shoot these guns. So if you own a Taurus 66 purchased in the last 4 years please tell me about it good or bad I really need to know as Im posibly weeks away from buying a Tarus 66 *

·
22,299 Posts
Everyone should have a .357 revolver. Or three. I got my 66 used, so I'm not sure how old it is. I paid $300. I wouldn't take $500 for it. Accurate, good trigger in DA or SA. In fact, the DA trigger beats any DA Ruger revolver I've ever fired. And it's a darn good-looking revolver with seven shots. From the examples I've held and the reviews I've read, I consider it a higher quality revolver than the Windicator. Don't hesitate to get a model 66.

DSC00650.JPG

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Sterling, I am first going to answer your original question. Choosing between the EAA gun and the Taurus I would use the EAA. The reason I say this has nothing to do with the quality of the Taurus handgun. Any firearm manufacture can produce a problem gun. The difference is how they handle that once it happens. The problem with Taurus is their service and not their firearms. Their service is excessively slow and you can't always count on being told the truth when you talk to their service people. When I see someone sending back a gun for a broken spring and it takes 6 or 7 or more weeks to get it fixed that is excessive.

The EAA is a perfectly serviceable revolver. They are not pretty and some say they are heavy but they go bang every time you pull the trigger. I would purchase they 357 over the 38 because EAA uses an alloy frame for the 38 but the 357 is a steel frame.

If I may suggest another alternative you might want to take a look at the Charter Arms revolvers. They are similarly priced and they are generally a dependable handgun. I have not heard any horror stories about their service department period.

I own all the guns we are discussing and all of them are perfectly serviceable firearms. The only reason I recommend not going with Taurus is, as I said, their service department leaves a tremendous amount to be desired.

Good luck with your decision and whichever gun you buy shoot safe.

Don

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
Between the two I would be buying the Taurus 66. I don't have one yet, but have two .357 revolvers...a Dan Wesson Model 15 with a 3.5" barrel and a Taurus 605. I am also primarily a semi-auto guy, but I really like having the 605 in my pocket in the Winter. Taurus service has improved and continues to do so. The Taurus will still have the lifetime warranty and I'm not sure what EAA will do after the the initial warranty is over. Whichever you choose, the platform is a great one for SD as well as training new shooters. Let us know which way you go.

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
I sold my M19 Smith, but I've kept my early 90s 4" 66 and my early 80s 3" 66 (which I carry occasionally). Both these guns outshoot anything I've ever owned from Smith and Wesson. I had a friend that had a 4" Smith 686 that ran about as good as my Taurus, but he paid for the name, trust me. Taurus revolvers are quite accurate. You can dis 'em sometimes for other qualities vs S&W and I suspect a S&W fanboy every time I've seen such a post, but my 66 will shoot right with my remaining S&W or a little better and will shoot right with all my Blackhawks.

The last Blackhawk I bought was a 4 5/8" .357/9mm convertible, a new model flat top. I gave $600 for it and frankly, if I didn't want it so bad, I'd have passed on it. I guess it was all about want rather than need. I've got a 6.5" Blackhawk in .357 and a 4 5/8" .45 Colt. None of them are for sale, either. The one S&W remaining in my safe was inherited from my Grandpa, a 4" M10 heavy barrel which ain't going anywhere, either, more for the fact that my grandpa owned it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sterling, I am first going to answer your original question. Choosing between the EAA gun and the Taurus I would use the EAA. The reason I say this has nothing to do with the quality of the Taurus handgun. Any firearm manufacture can produce a problem gun. The difference is how they handle that once it happens. The problem with Taurus is their service and not their firearms. Their service is excessively slow and you can't always count on being told the truth when you talk to their service people. When I see someone sending back a gun for a broken spring and it takes 6 or 7 or more weeks to get it fixed that is excessive.

The EAA is a perfectly serviceable revolver. They are not pretty and some say they are heavy but they go bang every time you pull the trigger. I would purchase they 357 over the 38 because EAA uses an alloy frame for the 38 but the 357 is a steel frame.

If I may suggest another alternative you might want to take a look at the Charter Arms revolvers. They are similarly priced and they are generally a dependable handgun. I have not heard any horror stories about their service department period.

I own all the guns we are discussing and all of them are perfectly serviceable firearms. The only reason I recommend not going with Taurus is, as I said, their service department leaves a tremendous amount to be desired.

Good luck with your decision and whichever gun you buy shoot safe.

Don
A very valid point, thank you. Guys i forgot two things in my post 1. The gun will be a range shooter only. 2. I also want to hear about your customer servive / warranty experience within the last few years.

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
I can't tell ya about Taurus customer service because, even though I have a half dozen Taurus handguns, I've never had to use customer service.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Too many Taurus guns in my stable for a reason, take care of it and it will take care of you!..........................

·
22,299 Posts
Like NT, I've never had to send a gun back to Taurus. Some of what I was hearing for a while had me pretty concerned, but from people's more recent comments, it seems like Taurus is doing much better lately in the service department.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't tell ya about Taurus customer service because, even though I have a half dozen Taurus handguns, I've never had to use customer service.
How often you shoot em & whats the round count ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Never thought Id be eyeballing wheelguns but here I am. Its not that I cant afford a 686 or a Blackhawk Im just not willing to spend the 700 or so dollars. Im a striker fire shooter all day minus my 1911. Even so Id like to add a 357 revolver to my collection, So Im looking at a 4" blue Tauri 66 with adj rear sights and also eaa Vindicator. From what Ive read the eaa has a rougher trigger than the Taurus 66 aside from that their roughly the same price. Ive read all kinds of bad junk about Taurus qaulity from other gun forums "Taurus guns are so crappy they cause cancer and what not" lol but I want to hear it straight from the guys that own and shoot these guns. So if you own a Taurus 66 purchased in the last 4 years please tell me about it good or bad I really need to know as Im posibly weeks away from buying a Tarus 66 *
I have both the blued EAA 357 Windictor 4" (the barrel's actually 3 3/4", not 4" as advertised) and I have a black Taurus model 65 4" (same as 66, but without adjustable sights) Both are less than 2 years old.
The only way these guns are the same is price. The Taurus is like S&W and Rugers, in that the pawl/hand push on the cylinder ratchet star when firing and the firing pin stays out when firing. The EAA has no such locking actions, so the cylinder is a very loose rrattling mess, with an .008" cylinder gap, probably .005" of endshake (this is the norm for these guns) and absolutely no lockup. My Windicator also has significantly lower chronograph results than other 3" and 4" 357 revolvers I've tested with same ammo, but the gun is fairly accurate. One other thing, the frame of the Windicator is made of steel and is blued, but the barrel shroud is made of some kind of alloy and is painted black -the blued part and tha painted shroud do not match in color or gloss
EAA also has pretty bad CS, to where you have pay shipping both ways, and the CS reps are rude and blaming. I've never had to send a gun back to Taurus or EAA, but did have a conversation with EAA customer service when I first got my Windicator =me asking why the manual say no +P 38 special, but .357 is ok.

With the Tuarus, there were no surprises and all specs were just where they're supposed to be.

There's no way I'd pick the Windicator over the Taurus 66.
In the picture below is the Taurus to the left, and the Windicator on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Their service is excessively slow and you can't always count on being told the truth when you talk to their service people. When I see someone sending back a gun for a broken spring and it takes 6 or 7 or more weeks to get it fixed that is excessive.
S&W's had my gun for 5 weeks now. :(
Ruger's the only customer service I'd say is good.

When you say the EAA is perfectly serviceable, what do you mean? People take them apart, springs pop out everywhere and they never get them back together. ;D I've researched disassembling one, and have found no one who was ever successful -seriously. EAA has also had it's share of problems, mainly with cylinder locking up when shooting 357. I suspect the reason you haven't heard as many EAA horror stories, is because there are so few of the WIndicators out there compared to Taurus's.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do Taurus revolvers need to be opened and cleaned out the box new before firing or just a wipe down / barrel clean will do ? Im thinking extra cosmoline packed up in the internals ?

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
How often you shoot em & whats the round count ?
I shoot em often, alls I can tell ya. Life's to short to count every round. The pistols run 1000 rounds or less in MY hands, but the revolvers are multi-thousand. I've had 'em a lot longer. Several were bought used and I have no ideal how many were fired before I got 'em. Main thing, they still work as good as any.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do Taurus revolvers need to be opened and cleaned out the box new before firing or just a wipe down / barrel clean will do ? Im thinking extra cosmoline packed up in the internals ?
I make It a habit of cleaning my new firearms out of the box to get all the "packing oil/rust preventative " out and properly lube It.
There's no telling what a manufacturer will use to protect the firearm while It sits In a warehouse or on a dealer shelf.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I shoot em often, alls I can tell ya. Life's to short to count every round. The pistols run 1000 rounds or less in MY hands, but the revolvers are multi-thousand. I've had 'em a lot longer. Several were bought used and I have no ideal how many were fired before I got 'em. Main thing, they still work as good as any.
Thanks. Ive got a 4" stainless 66 coming to my ffl. I hope its as reliable as your wheel guns. None of my guns are revolvers this will be my first, I look forward to plinking with it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought a EAA Windicator .357 Mag "snubby" about 10 years ago because I didn't have a revolver and didn't want to spend a lot of cash to get one. Perhaps I was lucky or maybe G Love wasn't but mine seems to have reasonable fit and finish and does not have anywhere near the degree of issues described by G Love. I'm a bit disappointed with the way the muzzle is "crowned" but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy. Otherwise, I've had no problems with it.
I also have a SS Taurus 66 with a 4" barrel. Overall it seems to be better than the EAA Windicator with regard to fit and finish. To be sure, it's "more gun" than the Windicator and that certainly accounts for some of the extra $170 I paid for it. I do believe G Love's comment that they are closer in price currently.
i too questioned the +P restriction for a revolver capable of firing .357 Mag ammunition. The reply I received from the EAA Customer Service people merely repeated the statement from the user's manual and offered no explanation. Had a rude tone to it.
if pressured to make a choice tho, I guess I would go with the Taurus.
Flex

·
22,299 Posts
There was a time when Taurus was notorious for this, but it's been a few years.

But personally, I'd at least take the sideplate off (watch a few youTube videos before you do that for the first time on a revolver; it's not hard, but you want to watch a few people do the screwdriver handle trick) and have a look. Bet you'll decide a little spray of dry lube or a few drops of oil is all it needs. At the very least, with emphasis on very, spray some lube down into the action. But that's really a 0.5 gluteal way to do it with a brand new revolver.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a EAA Windicator .357 Mag "snubby" about 10 years ago because I didn't have a revolver and didn't want to spend a lot of cash to get one. Perhaps I was lucky or maybe G Love wasn't but mine seems to have reasonable fit and finish and does not have anywhere near the degree of issues described by G Love. I'm a bit disappointed with the way the muzzle is "crowned" but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy. Otherwise, I've had no problems with it.
The crown is messed up on the snub nose ones, because they're all 4" barrels, and EAA cuts them down. https://www.lightweightmiata.com/guns/windicator/ Do a google search for EAA Windicator crown and you'll find less severe, but more examples.
It's not just me or just my gun. Every time I'm at a gun shop I'll check out the 357 EAA Windictors, and they're all the same as mine. I imagine someone who doesn't know much about revolver specs, how to measure them or the importance of those specs, then the Windicator would seem to be fine. Mine shoots, and does so fairly accurately, but it's just no where near the quality (as far as stuff like gap, endshake, head spacing, B/C alignment ect) as the Taurus I just recently got. But maybe I just got lucky, and all Taurus revolvers aren't as good as the one I got? It's my only Taurus Revolver.

i too questioned the +P restriction for a revolver capable of firing .357 Mag ammunition. The reply I received from the EAA Customer Service people merely repeated the statement from the user's manual and offered no explanation. Had a rude tone to it
That's the same response I got. When I explained it makes no sense, because the 357 has far more pressure, the rude tone amplified. :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts