Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came into a Taurus 945B, it was basically new in box and owner says it has never been fired, from looking it over I would tend to believe him. Ran the serial number and it said it was made in 1997, so it's been sitting for about 11 years :eek:

I've got several Glocks and have owned a ton of pistols over the last 20 years, but really don't know much about my new 945 other than I really like the grip and overall size of the gun.

First since it's been sitting so long anything I need to do before taking it out other than a simple clean and lube? and does anyone know of any problems recalls etc.. this model may have had in that era I should watch out for?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
should just clean/lube and take it to the range springs and such are probably just fine in it.

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
What joe sixpack said!

Sweet Deal! Hope you like your New-to-you PT945!

My PT945 is my Winter House and Carry Gun.

BTW, for holsters I have a Kydex Glock 21 IWB holster and a Fobus HK-1 Holster that fits it perfectly.

1999 Vintage Taurus PT945 with Hogue Handall Slip-On Grip

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks!

Can't wait to get it out and shoot it. I've got a 21 SF and your right, thanks for the tip, holster for it works fine.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum blueduck, glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your 945 too, I'm sure it will serve you well. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
jwc007, that sure is a good lookin' gun...and i really like the hogue grip you added. i think that their grips are incredible, and make almost any gun better!

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
Thankyou tcv0825! That grip improves it's handling, too!

Blueduck - Did you ever get out to shoot your PT945 and how did you like it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly no, still not shot it. Had a new disc put in my neck and still do not have clearance to shoot. :( Maybe two weeks, gotta see what Doc says.

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
Ouch! :eek:

Take your time and get well! The Gun and Range will be there when you are ready.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, all this time, but I FINALLY got chance to spend a day with it!

On the plus side I was really impressed with how well the gun shot. It's much lighter than the S/W 4566 I had but seems to shoot even softer and with less muzzel flip. Either great grip design, or it just happens to fit me perfectly. I swear I've shot a lot of 9mm's that were harder on me. Accuracy was great for the type of gun it is. Overall I would have come away loving this thing, except...Failure to feeds out the wazoo :(

Had one factory mag and two "USA" mags. The factory mag worked about 80% of the time, and the aftermarkets about 50%. Tried both WW box 230 FMJ and Remington 230 HP's with the same results.

The FTF are kind of odd, it does not seem that the rounds are getting stuck on the feed ramp, but rather once already up the ramp things are locking up with the round about a 1/3" from being totally chambered? It will go on into battery with a firm push on the back of the slide.

If it was just a ramp issue I might try some polishing, but unless someone has a better idea, guess I'll send it back to Taurus and see what they say ???

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
Glad you're feeling better and made it to the Range!

FTF's are not at all normal! My PT945 has been stone cold reliable! Else, I would not rely on it for defensive use!

Sounds like the frame barrel camming key is not unlocking the barrel soon enough and may be worn or deformed. Fortunately, that is easily replaceable. Might also be a worn/deformed barrel underlug. I do think you should send it back to Taurus and let them sort it out!

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem when I'm breaking in my pt909, after 3 to 4 trips to the range(around 50rnds per trip) and cleaning/lube everytime it just stop doing that, 600rnds later it goes kaboom everytime. maybe it's just my 909 but it looks the same to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello All,

Any advice on which ammo to carry with a 945? I am considering the purchase of a new model and would also appreciate any inpute for a 945 owner. I am new to the site but love my 24/7 and Mil 745 both in you guessed it 45! Also, has the ambi issue been resolved with the pt 1911, i have been holding back to purchase one...thanks! Hbg

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
Currently, my PT945 is loaded with the 185 grn Remington Gold Sabres. CCI Gold Dots in any Bullet Weight will work also. So far, my PT945 has fed everything except Semi-Wadcutters, so when it comes to Defensive HP's, feel free to try most anything. It will most likely feed whatever you've got. I generally prefer bullets in the 185 to 200 grn bullet weight, for defensive use in the .45 ACP.

A 24/7 in .45 ACP is on my shopping list. My have to trade my PT945 to get it, due to finances.
You may wish to wait for the PT845 to come out, as it may share the same magazines as your .45 24/7.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts