Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this from the search....

"I just bought a Model 44 Mag, stainless, 4 inch barrel. I love the size and the way it feels, not much bigger than my Ruger GP 100. My question has to do with the lack of rifling where the ports are. I used to own a Tracker in .45 Colt and I am pretty sure the rifling went all the way to the muzzle. On this gun, it ends before the ports, and then it looks like where the ports are it opens up a bit, and then squeezes back down at the muzzle. Why is the gun made this way?"

"The ported model 44 uses a very different system than most of the other ported taurus revolvers. The Model 44 is actually a compensator, not a ported barrel. The main difference being that a compensator has an expansion chamber. Infinately more effective in curbing muzzle jump, than mere ports cut in the barrel."

:???: :???: :???: Soooooo
I didnt notice this until after I brought my new M44 home. I bought it thinking I had a 4in barrel. Once I looked more in depth down the barrel is when I noticed the rifling stopped short of the ports/compensator. Sooooo, would it be considered a 2in barrel then? I wanted to know if anyone had some more in depth info on this type of barrel. Is there a loss of velocity compaired to a full 4in rifled barrrel? This issue is by no means any reason for me to get rid of my M44! Just something I wasnt aware of, and would like to know more about. Anyone have more input???

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I have the same model you have Whiplash and I actually called taurus customer service to get the scoop. There is actually 4 inces of rifleing in your revolver take a ruler or a tape measure and measure from the forcing cone to the tip and you will see that its about 5 inches, the last inch is your compensator. Also the model deisignation for our particular gun is M44CP the CP stands for compensated. Got into a slew of trouble when I used that term because I was looking for a set of houge grips for it and the CP threw all the sales people off which is why I called customer service. Don't know about loss of velocity because of the ports but at the ranges I am concerned with, it doesn't bother me any if there was.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I chronyed a couple different reloads from Raging Bull 6.5" .44mag and got quite low readings. The gun also has an gas expansion chamber. But I would guess the problem was with the ammo not the gun...

·
Registered
178 Posts
The .44Mag Trackers I have looked at seem to have a expansion chamber ahead of the rifleing. Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts