Taurus Firearm Forum banner

OMG no where is safe.

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Rackir 
#1 ·
Just pulled this off net this morning:

NIAGARA, Wis. - A man wearing camouflage clothing and carrying an assault rifle walked out of the woods and gunned down four young people who had gathered at a river to go swimming, killing three of them and wounding one.

More than 100 law enforcement officers from at least 10 agencies searched Friday for the gunman, a middle-age man who was last seen near the town of Niagara in northern Wisconsin, across the state line from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Officers set up roadblocks and evacuated an unknown number of homes.

Nine young adults had gathered near a railroad bridge on the Menominee River when the gunman came out of the woods and opened fire about 5:30 p.m. Thursday, according to Sheriff Jim Kanikula.

Authorities have not determined a motive. The sheriff said there was no communication between the gunman and his victims.

The shooter was only 7 to 10 feet away from one victim when he fired, the sheriff said.

On Friday, two of the bodies remained at scene about three miles west of Niagara because of fear that the shooter was still in the area.

The dead were identified as Tiffany Pohlson, 17; Anthony Spigarelli, 18; and Bryan Mort, 19. A fourth victim, 20-year-old Daniel Louis Gordon, was wounded.

Niagara is about 210 miles north of Milwaukee.

(Not to make fun, but Taurus say OSS is made to withstand all enviroments, I wonder if a person could skinny dip with one, and what kinda holster would work best?)

See less See more
#2 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25963035 (its polite to post a link to the story so others can see the source material)

updated 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

NIAGARA, Wis. - The massive search for a camouflaged gunman who fatally shot three young people from Michigan along the Menominee River in Wisconsin is over, an official said.

A suspected gunman was taken into custody shortly before 10 a.m. Friday, said Eric Burmeister, Marinette County's emergency management director.

Sheriff's authorities said a man armed with a military-style assault rifle shot and killed the three Michigan teenagers and wounded a 20-year-old Michigan man Thursday evening. The group had gathered to go swimming near the Wisconsin-Michigan border near Niagara, Wisconsin.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

More than 100 law enforcement officers from at least 10 agencies were involved in the search for the shooter, described as a middle-age man who was last seen near the town of Niagara, across the state line from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Chief Deputy Jerry Sauve of the Marinette County Sheriff's Department said his office got a call around 6 p.m. Thursday reporting a shooting in the town of Niagara.

The victims had gathered near a railroad bridge on the Menominee River when the gunman came out of the woods and opened fire about 5:30 p.m. Thursday, according to Sheriff Mike Kanikula.

The dead were identified as Tiffany Pohlson, 17; Anthony Spigarelli, 18; and Bryan Mort, 19. A fourth victim, 20-year-old Daniel Louis Gordon, was wounded.

Niagara is about 210 miles north of Milwaukee.

I'm curious as to WHY this nut-case did it? What, he got a couple of pot plants hidden in the woods?

Steelheart

#4 ·
thanx steelheart.

I was figurin maybe they were scaring that monster buck away, or whatever it is they shoot in wisconsin. No matter, still a "nut job".

My lil brothers' response, and I quote: "I ALWAYS carry. ;) " I really didn't want to ask any further. :???:

But seriously, I live in a 'village' of 200 seemingly 'good folk'. Never used to worry, heck I've caught myself not locking up the house, but lately I just don't know anymore what will set folks off. 'round here meth is the new drug of choice, with labs hidden who knows where. Doesn't help that i live a block down the road from the elevator and lots of ammonia wagons.

anyway, I hope he gets what he deserves for his actions.

#5 ·
Scott J. Johnson, 38, was in camouflage as he walked out of some woods near the scene of the shooting and dropped his weapon as officers approached, said Jerry Sauve, chief’s sheriff’s deputy in Marinette County.
I think this guy did it just to do it, some of these nuts think they're some type of rambo commando, dress up in camo, go out into the sticks and play out their fantasies. Hope they don't let him plea bargain down to a life sentence.

#6 ·
A classic example of the need for carrying a self defensive firearm, not just where you "feel" safe.

As the subject line says; Nowhere is safe.

#7 ·
If pot was involved, he'd be in the city looking for a What-A-Burger driving 20mph in a 45mph zone, not gunning people down. LOL! I'd say if it were drugs, it would probably be some sort of backwoods bathtub "crank" (meth). LOL!

#9 ·
They caught the guy. Apparently he had sexually assaulted a woman the day before, and when police came looking for him, he decided he had "nothing to lose". This story doesn't have all of the details, but its floating around somewhere on the net. I do remember reading he was shooting 7.62mm rounds.

MARINETTE, Wis. - Prosecutors say a man suspected of killing three teens at a Wisconsin river hatched the ambush because he feared being charged with sexual assault and had "nothing to lose."

Thirty-eight-year-old Scott J. Johnson was charged Wednesday with first-degree intentional homicide in the July 31 massacre. A criminal complaint says he also hoped to lure emergency responders to the scene for him to kill.

Johnson's public defender, Len Kachinsky, says people should withhold judgment on his client.

The complaint says Johnson took a woman near the bridge the night before the shooting and sexually assaulted her. The papers say he expected jail time and decided "the only power he had in this life was 'to take.'"

#10 ·
Wow, this guy seems to fit the profile to a T

....,,,profile of a serial killer has been presented by Apsche (1993) stating that most are white males in their twenties or thirties, who target strangers near their homes or places of work. "According to criminologist Eric Hickey, who has assembled the most extensive database on demography of serial murder states that, 88% of serial killers are male, 85% are Caucasian, and the average age when they claim their first victim is usually around 28.5 (this guy started a little later than average). In terms of victim selection, 62% of the killers target strangers exclusively, and another 22% kill at least one stranger. Finally, 71% of the killers operate in a specific location or area, rather than traveling wide distances to commit their crimes.

Good thing they got this guy right as he got started, you can play the odds and bet if he got away that he would have kept on killing. What do you want to bet that in the next month a report will be released in which lays out the following;
His familly background includes physical or sexual abuse.
He is diagnosed with Bipolar disorder.
He has below average intellegence.
He has a remarkably vivid and wild imagination (and spends an inordinate amount of time day dreaming).
As a child he often felt isolated and was a compulsive masturbator.
Was known to kill/torture animals as a child.

#13 ·
"Sometimes he'd say stuff like, 'I wish I could get a girlfriend,"' LaPointe said. "Otherwise we'd just talk about life, the world, whatever."
"He's a quiet guy, never said nothing, never went nowhere," said Don Koller, Johnson's next-door neighbor. "Used to cut my grass, deliver papers way back when he was in school. Said maybe a couple words over the years."

Feelings of isolation, check.

#14 ·
It's the profile that allowed the Washington killers to go on for so long Lee malvo sp they were looking so hard for a white van and a white guy that they pulled those to murders over and let them go with a sniper hole cut into the trunk. Criminals don't always fit profiles. Which is why they are searching grandmothers at airports OK thats a joke

#15 ·
Thats the thing with statistics, they can point in the most commen directions but they dont replace honest detective work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.