Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used 709 off Armslist. While looking on ebayfor extra parts, mags...I came across several guys selling slides. I looked at them and my slide is nothing like the ones they are selling. I figure there was a design change at some point. I went to the Taurus website and entered my serial number and it didnt return any info.

The main difference that stands out is the size and position of the extractor and the shape of the back plate. My markings are very different was well.

So basically can my frame take a new slide? Do I need a newer slide? What drove the design change?

I love my G2 and would never give it up for a G2C, should I consider my older 709 slide better, worse or just neutral in comparision to the newer one?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Can you take some detailed pics?

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I can't really answer your question but I can tell you for a fact that there are differences in the slides, don't know generations etc, but you can get a slide stuck on the frame. There are 2 pin models and 4 models I think. Some of the more technically knowledgeable folks will know better than I do.

I tell you this from experience. I have a 709 that I have owned for about 8 years. While at the range 1 day, maybe 4-5 years ago, there was a guy having trouble with his new 709. Anyway I had the brilliant idea of putting his slide on my 709 to see if it would function properly. The feeding issue he was having persisted. I then tried to remove the slide and it would not come off. Well great! A lot of help I was.

Ultimately I did get the slide off without breaking anything. Finally during my messing and messing with it I had turned the gun upside down and apparently that allowed something to move just enough to allow the slide to come off. That's all I can tell you. Now it's time to get my embarrassed self, never really told that story before, going for the day.

·
23,071 Posts
You just bought it, you haven't said whether you've shot it or not, much less that you're having any problems, and you're asking if you need a newer slide? I'm gonna say "no."

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
ahhh- as the old saying goes--IF it in't broke then don't try to fix it!
as for what your gun will or won't need well you just need to use it, test it and see and move on from there.
and IF it has problems lots of luck getting needed parts.
I would personally try to stock up on plenty of magazines, recoil springs and other related wear parts IF I intended on keeping the weapon myself.

·
23,071 Posts
There haven't been any major changes to the design that I know of. I believe I recall some changes to the slide markings, but that's it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There haven't been any major changes to the design that I know of. I believe I recall some changes to the slide markings, but that's it.
Well from my limited research this comment is 100% incorrect. I know you are a major player here, but come-on man, how do you offer this comment without the slightest google search...

1- There are short extractors slides and long extractor slide. Early models had the short version.

2- The long extractor replaced the shorter one due to several flaws in the small extractor design. The main flaw is +1 loading. Locking back your slide, dropping a round into the chamber and running the slide into battery has a high probability to SNAP the extractor claw off rendering the extractor useless.

3- The small extractor is weaker and can cause limited FTEs at times.

To tell which kind you have simply look at the right side of the gun, the side the case is ejected from. If the extractor is large (about 1 1/2" long), and runs INTO the gripping cuts on the rear sides of the slide, its a long extractor.

If the extractor is small (about 1/2" ) and does NOT touch the gripping cuts on the rear sides of the slide, its the original version. Dont load a +1 by dropping a round into the open breach / ejection port. Load the chamber from the magazine, eject the magazine and top off the magazine.

To address the "if its not broke why replace it" comments... have you ever had an original 92AF slide strike you in the kisser knocking out a front tooth? There was a reason the early 92AF slides were replaced, if I ever bought an early version, I would want to know which slide I had.

Now on this firearm, I see the long extracor slides being sold, but I have not seen a small one. So that prompts me to ask if they are interchangable or not. Darbo pretty much answered that for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Long Extractor seen here at 4:16 -

short extractor seen here at 0:32 -

I have no idea why the vids are not showing up...must be my age.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
To address the "if its not broke why replace it" comments... have you ever had an original 92AF slide strike you in the kisser knocking out a front tooth? There was a reason the early 92AF slides were replaced, if I ever bought an early version, I would want to know which slide I had.

HMMMM!!
so it seems a lot of men and WOMEN that live in Georgia and Alabama are early 92 owners from what I see--and MOST Walmart customers seem to like that weapon as well!!!-----:ngke:

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
1- There are short extractors slides and long extractor slide. Early models had the short version.

2- The long extractor replaced the shorter one due to several flaws in the small extractor design. The main flaw is +1 loading. Locking back your slide, dropping a round into the chamber and running the slide into battery has a high probability to SNAP the extractor claw off rendering the extractor useless.

3- The small extractor is weaker and can cause limited FTEs at times.
My PT709 has the short Extractor and I've not had ANY feed issues, so far.
9mm ammunition has been mostly my reloads and Federal Champion, and is carried with Federal PD 135 Grain Hydrashoks.
My PT709 is my alternate Summer Carry Pistol to my late production third Gen Pre-G2 PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm.

Taurus PT709

Dont load a +1 by dropping a round into the open breach / ejection port. Load the chamber from the magazine, eject the magazine and top off the magazine.
This is generally true for all Semi-Auto Pistols. You risk stressing or damaging the Extractor otherwise.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
MY take from owning multiple taurus firearms and several needing to go back to the mothership is that qulaity control can vary widely from gun to gun.
that being said I had an original release of the 709 that I bought as a carry weapon.
the gun functioned perfectly on various self defnse ammo as well as traget ammo, mostly reloads of mine.
the problem that I had with that particular weapon was
1 ) the rear adjustable sight would not stay in place, it randomly moved as it was shot apparently (this was a gun problem)
. 2) I could not reliabally hit a bull in the butt with the gun, especially if I did not shoot it for say a couple of weeks-- that was a Shooter Problem though-- the gun just did not work for me personally.
I sold the weapon shortly after acquiring it as it did not serve the purpose for which I bought it.
it was however one of the good ones that were not made on a Friday afternoon as it was a dependable weapon through I would guess 500 or so rounds of various ammo types.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
The internal components have had some changes also - trigger bar for one; mods to slide as well as slide stampings; 2-3-4 pin models. There is a thread here somewhere regarding the internals.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
345 Posts
HMMMM!!
so it seems a lot of men and WOMEN that live in Georgia and Alabama are early 92 owners from what I see--and MOST Walmart customers seem to like that weapon as well!!!-----:ngke:
I do have to admit, THAT was pretty funny:D !
Flex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts