Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that i have 2 new 24/7 i wanted to get some history on taurus guns.is there a site that has some pictures of the first taurus guns made?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
if im not mistaken the first gun taurus made was the 92, at the time it was an exact copy of the beretta 92 and was even made in a previously owned beretta factory and even used beretta machines.

at that time it had a heel mag release, iirc there was an agreement they would not export or market the gun in the US for 10 years.. so you generally do not see this older design in the states.

since then both the beretta and the taurus 92 has undergone evolutions in the design and have diverged and branched out in slightly different directions creating a lot of incompatibles while still keeping function similar.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Not a real copy of the Beretta... Taurus purchased the plant, engineers, works, parts on hand and all related plans, specs, material and misc that Beretta no longer needed in Brazil. For a more detailed account of this purchase you would be better off reading the official Taurus history.

While Taurus was producing 92 pistols with remaining parts on hand, Taurus was also busy re-designing the pistol with improvements like moving the mag release from the bottom of the grip to where it is now and moving the safety down onto the frame where it should have been all along. Where I visited Taurus in the early 1980's they made other minor upgrades to the quality of the materials and metals, compared to what beretta had been using. Yes, Beretta moved their mag release after Taurus did.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
DRAEGER said:
Not a real copy of the Beretta... Taurus purchased the plant, engineers, works, parts on hand and all related plans, specs, material and misc that Beretta no longer needed in Brazil. For a more detailed account of this purchase you would be better off reading the official Taurus history.

While Taurus was producing 92 pistols with remaining parts on hand, Taurus was also busy re-designing the pistol with improvements like moving the mag release from the bottom of the grip to where it is now and moving the safety down onto the frame where it should have been all along. Where I visited Taurus in the early 1980's they made other minor upgrades to the quality of the materials and metals, compared to what beretta had been using. Yes, Beretta moved their mag release after Taurus did.
actually in the beginning yes the guns taurus was producing was perfect copies the design changes did not take place immediately, they was already producing guns before they started making design changes.

it's a myth that they moved the safety to the frame if you look at the earlier beretta 92 you'll notice it also had the frame mounted safety it was actually moved to the slide by beretta taurus just kept the older safety design not came up with it.

as for the mag catch/release my understand is that both companies developed this in parallel (at the same time) without sharing notes this is why they are not the same, although i admit my knowledge of the time line on the mag release is a bit foggy the beretta is documented but its' difficult to find history on the taurus, so you maybe correct that taurus did it first.

although i tend to believe they was done in parrellel because they was starting ot market for American LE & civilians and of course the military, americans tend ot prefer behind the trigger type of mag release.

i checked and apparently was way off they actually started making guns long ago a revolver by the model of: Model 38101SO, way back in 1941

http://www.taurususa.com/company/history.cfm

EDIT: found a few pictures of the old beretta design.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
now the question is does anyone have any information on capacity or caliber? or even a picture?

i could'nt find anything on the internet about the revolver. i wonder how rare it is today.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I haven't seen an example of the first Taurus revolver let alone a picture. I'd be quite interested if anyone could post a pic. I've looked all over and nothing. Big gun show in Phoenix next weekend----I'm gonna check there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had an early Taurus .22 4" DA revolver, not 1941, but ~1973. It was very poorly finished, with the cylinder flutes having annular grooves running the length of the flutes. The topstrap and top of the barrel was diamond knurled, but it looked like it was done with a bastard file. The grips looked to be made of pine with a hastily rubbed on walnut like stain, and the checkering on the grips was also very sloppy. The adjustable sights oscillated when the screw was turned. Bottom line, the gun went bang every time the trigger was pulled, and grouping was very good. If it wasn't so ugly, I would have kept it much longer than I did.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have never seen those Beretta pictures with the frame mounted saftey and slide lock, how old are those? and are there any still floating aorund for sale anywhere?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
MPanova said:
I have never seen those Beretta pictures with the frame mounted saftey and slide lock, how old are those? and are there any still floating aorund for sale anywhere?
that was the original 92 design and yes they are still floating around although rare.

i heard some used ones was showing up on the market recently imported from africa not sure if that rumor is true.

might try gunbroker.

EDIT:you could also try http://www.berettaforum.net they have a pretty active classified section.
a member snagged one of these a few months ago also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts