Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have and older pt99af that i bought back in the eightys.
i contacted taurus and from the s.n. they said it was made in 1986
is this one of the pistols that was made with beretta steel and berretta tooling?
if so, should i keep it?
thanks
engraver1

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Taurus bought the plant in 1984, so it's possible that it's still early enough to essentially still be a 95% Beretta pistol. the best thing about it all is you're still covered by the Lifetime Warranty, so if anything goes wrong you can still take advantage of replacement parts on the company dime.

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Does it have the European Magazine release at the butt of the gun or is the Magazine release by the trigger guard? Does it have a de-cocker? 1986 I think was after the first design change.

The first PT-99’s were made with a European style Magazine release near the back bottom of the grip if I remember correctly they started them around 1982. Around 1985 they moved the magazine release up to the current position near the trigger guard, added an ambidextrous safety, and trigger block. Later on in the production they added the de-cocker I think some where around 1990-91 area. Regardless of the style, I really like the older PT-99’s I would keep it.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Well if you don't want it I'll take it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It is my favorite auto...hands down.... I like it better than the Beretta, a Hi -Power, or even a 1911.

It shoots like a rifle.

I will NEVER sell mine. And it is 88'. I like it better than even the new Taurus 92/99.

·
Registered
21,536 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I've shot the old and the new, I say keep it. Whether or not it was made on the original machinery is irrelevent to me, may well have been though.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
i have and older pt99af that i bought back in the eightys.
i contacted taurus and from the s.n. they said it was made in 1986
is this one of the pistols that was made with beretta steel and berretta tooling?
if so, should i keep it?
thanks
engraver1
NO get rid of that piece of crap!
I got a 1987 model 99 with over 10,000 rounds through it and i just know its gonna fall apart anytime now!
i would sale mine but I can't cause i dropped paint all over it years ago and no one wants the ugly thang!
I know sent yours to me and i will try to sale both of them, i'll let you know when yours sells!
no decocker, frame mounted safety, lanyard loop, heck this thang is so out of date!!!
I guess the question is had you rather have a gun made on worn out Beretta machinery or new Taurus machinery??
TO me as long as the gun works i don't really care, and honestly its not going to be a collectors edition regardless of what it was made on, its simply a shooter!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.