Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am lookin at purchasing my first Taurus hadngun and figured here was the place to get info. Of course, I have looked at other boards but there is definitely an air of anti-taurus out there.

Anyway, a co-worker has an older model 85T for sale. It has the short barrel with ports and is all titanium except the barrel sleeve I believe. Anyway, he says he has shot about 500 rounds through it without a hitch. He is asking $225 for it.

Is this a good model of reveolver to start with, as I am looking for a light in-the-pocket type revolver. Any issues I should know of?

Thanks!
Dan

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
WOW!!! $225 for titanium?????!!!

I have a UL, alloy frame M85. I love it, been shooting it for 11 years, lots of rounds, in the thousands of rounds. It don't do well with lead bullets, but 158 grain jacketed bullets it shoots fantastic. It's a 2" gun and I get 3" rested groups at 25 yards with it.

If it's an "ultralite" alloy gun, that's a good price. If it's truly titanium, you're rippin' the guy off big time. LOL Check it out, timing, end play, and such before purchase. Make sure everything is in order. Heck, he might just have bought into the Taurus bashing on the net and decided he needed to get rid of it fast. There is an up side to all the bashing on the boards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's not an ultralite model. It's all titanium. It's very tight. It has only a few "scuff marks" and they are light and on the short barrel.

He's letting it go because a 4" Coltguard Python has bitten him and he has to get $$ fast.

The only thing he's done to it, other than shoot .38spl in it, is to paint a little yellow on the front sight.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
For that price take it. If you don't like it you should be able to pull a profit selling it online.

Steelheart

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
For $225 I'd be all over that like Rosie O'Donnell on a pizza.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
For $225 I'd be all over that like Rosie O'Donnell on a pizza.
Or Rosie all over Ellen DeGeneres.

BTW, that's a great price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just picked up this model 85UL, which sounds a lot like the one you just bought and I paid much more than what you did for yours. I also understand that Taurus for some reason stopped making these for some odd reason;

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did find that the stock rubber grips are great for absorbing recoil but are terrible for using speed-loaders. I replaced them with a set of Uncle Mike's boot grips that I bought off of e-bay for 5.00 and they are great. The action is smooth but did start to bind a bit after a box of wad cutters. I also am having a hard time getting the carbon scoring off of the front sight. While this is my first Taurus, it is also my first ported barrel gun, much less a j-frame. Overall I am impressed with the function and weight, I may get my local gun butcher to remove the side plate and see what if anything is causing it to bind. Does anyone know if the IL on the hammer could be the cause of this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts