Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Taurus Model 85 is probably from the late 1960's (I think, I inhereted it, so not really sure of its age), and I have no manual.

Does anyone know if +P ammo is suitable for it? It is a steel frame of course. It has not seen a lot of use.

I also have a Taurus Model 66 .357 so I was wanting to have some .38 sp. +P and use in both if possible.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I have a twenty-year-old M85, but I've never shot Plus P ammo through it.

I'd recommend that you stay away from Plus P in a revolver made in the 1960s.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good Morning Guys from a warm and sunny Johannesburg.
I have a Model 85 in 'blued finish' which I purchased new in 2001from a local dealer.
The serial number is SJ35416 and I have always assumed (bad move!) that it would be OK to shot +P from it even though I haven't done so yet.
I have no idea how long this revolver was in the dealer's cabinet and given the comments about the 1990 models not being +P rated I checked in the Taurus instruction booklet that came with the revolver.
There is no mention as to the correct/suitable type of ammunition !
The manual just says....Always use proper ammunition,avoiding reloaded ammunition.
Any thoughts and suggestions as to the use of +P in my Model 85 would be much appreciated.
Regards and best wishes,
Keith.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys, I was afraid that +P would not be a good idea. I'll stick to standard ammo for the M85.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
My recommendation would be to try some Federal 110gr Hydra-shoks for your .38. It is a low recoil round, and provides near +p performance without the +p pressure and extra recoil. It's the one I use in my .38....

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
"+P" is an over rated marketing ploy by the makers to sell more ammo; if it makes one feel more warm-n-fuzzy to buy it, go for it.

It does not make a measurable difference on the street.

Standard pressure .38 spl. ammo has been getting the job done for law enforcement since it's introduction in 1899.

I've been toting it on and off duty for 42 of those 113 years and have never felt undergunned.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Good Morning Guys from a warm and sunny Johannesburg.
I have a Model 85 in 'blued finish' which I purchased new in 2001from a local dealer.
The serial number is SJ35416 and I have always assumed (bad move!) that it would be OK to shot +P from it even though I haven't done so yet.
I have no idea how long this revolver was in the dealer's cabinet and given the comments about the 1990 models not being +P rated I checked in the Taurus instruction booklet that came with the revolver.
There is no mention as to the correct/suitable type of ammunition !
The manual just says....Always use proper ammunition,avoiding reloaded ammunition.
Any thoughts and suggestions as to the use of +P in my Model 85 would be much appreciated.
Regards and best wishes,
Keith.
Keith a phone call to Taurus should get you the production date of your M85 ,+P capability info and peace of mind.

Coop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts