Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new (to me) PT 99 in stainless. I like the older style without the rail (only because of appearance). Can someone show me the benefits of buying the newer model instead? If you own both which do you prefer.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Mines old. Don't have any use for the rail. Performance is excellent with either.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I have a PT92 which is the fixed sight version of the PT99. Mine has a rail on it and although I prefer the look of the non-railed version you have the obvious advantage of mounting a flashlight or laser with the railed version.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

I have a PT92 with a rail and a PT1911 .45 without a rail.

But, the
PT92 gets bedside guard duty at night because of the rail which enables me to attach a 90 lumen tactical light to the pistol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just got a new PT92-AFS in stainless steel. It's a fantastic shooter, so no worries there.

Without the rail, you'll find that all the Beretta 92 holsters work. With the rail, your holster choices are less, but not impossible. It's a pretty big gun to put in a holster anyway, which is why it's my HD gun. My intention is to put a flashlight on the rail so that's a plus.

If your intent is to use this has a high capacity home defense weapon, get the new one. With all that said, I'd get the fixed sight version. It's not a long range weapon and the fixed sights on mine are spot on.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've got the 92s, one with the rail, the other without. I do have a laser to attach on the rail unit but prefer the looks of the older non rail.

·
22,058 Posts
I have an old 1st Gen. 92. Bought it new 26 years ago. Still shoots like it did long ago.

I want one like MPG's with that matte finish. Me likey..

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web.

My PT99 AFS is my favorite non-1911 gun. Mine has the rail. I prefer the non-rail model, but the deal was too good to pass up. It's a nail driver.

DSC_0012.jpg

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web.

My PT99 AFS is my favorite non-1911 gun. Mine has the rail. I prefer the non-rail model, but the deal was too good to pass up. It's a nail driver.

View attachment 18841

·
Registered
1 Posts
new pt99

Just shot my new pt99 today. I was amazed at the accuracy straight out of the box. No sight adjustments needed. Love it! I could go with or without the rail. Dont really plan on using it but may change my mind later.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I kinda like the looks of the rail, it gives the gun a "beefier" appearance.

FYI I'm sure we all know, but Beretta has brought out the 92FSA1 which is the same concept, the military requested the M9 be made with a rail for tac lights, and so the M9A1 came out........and Beretta offered a civilian version. Taurus just went with the same idea and added a rail to the PT series.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts