Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently purchase and allotment of firearms. One of which I'm trying to figure out as according to Taurus, it doesn't exists. Its labeled as a Taurus .38 Special but also has Firearms International on the right side of the body. The finish appears to be nickel but really faded. I did google it and found some articles that claim Firearms International was a front company for the CIA and others that deny it. Also read somewhere that Taurus did make this gun but it was owned by the same owners as Smith & Wesson but a lesser quality. There was 1 article that the guy claim Taurus swapped out his gun for a brand new one. Not sure how true it is but worth mentioning.

Just kinda curious on how to polish it as the nickle appears to be faded. There's a little rust up top that I need help in removing as well. Any suggestions? I'm also missing the rear sight. No clue what it would be worth, as I plan to list it on Gun Broker in the near future.

Appreciate any support people can offer.

-Bryan

Bryan

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's a Taurus Model 84. This model was discontinued in 1981.

The Taurus logo is the third variation, used from 1949 to 1973.

Firearms Intl. was the importer to USA.

Mainspring is flat up to 1960, and coil type from that year.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
That is an old one! I haven’t seen serrated flutes in quite a while. You might try Flitz to clear up the nickel. It is a non abrasive and should bring it out a bit. The rear sight might be a challenge. You might be able to fit an old style S&W target sight. That might run into more money than you would want to put into it.

·
23,288 Posts
Erick nailed it. Taurus was imported by several different importers before Taurus USA was started. If it doesn't say Miami on it anywhere, it's probably from before the Taurus USA days.

Boy, those are some deep tool marks under the crane.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The late Professor Eraldo Rabello - our pioneer on Forensic Ballistics area - once said that saw a Taurus revolver by the first time in 1941 - shown by a G-Man during a course in the USA (maybe a sample or prototype).

It's curious that a FBI agent got a Taurus revolver even before of Brazilian authorities.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Erick nailed it. Taurus was imported by several different importers before Taurus USA was started. If it doesn't say Miami on it anywhere, it's probably from before the Taurus USA days.

Taurus USA started its operations only in 1990´s. This revolver was made before 1973.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your support. Does any one know which models are compatible for the rear sight? Or is it one of those things that I have to find one for a Model 84

Bryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a Taurus Model 84. This model was discontinued in 1981.

The Taurus logo is the third variation, used from 1949 to 1973.

Firearms Intl. was the importer to USA.

Mainspring is flat up to 1960, and coil type from that year.
Yeah, I called a friend that works for the government. He said that Firearms International was a shell company used by the CIA in the 1970's.. Appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is an old one! I haven’t seen serrated flutes in quite a while. You might try Flitz to clear up the nickel. It is a non abrasive and should bring it out a bit. The rear sight might be a challenge. You might be able to fit an old style S&W target sight. That might run into more money than you would want to put into it.
I just used Flitz for the past 5 hours. It came out great. I'll post more pics here soon. Any clue where I can get a rear sight? I have the front screw, just need the sight. Heard its compatible with other S&W, just not sure which years or models.

Am I allowed to ask what it might sell for here on this forum? I know some have rules against it. Just kinda wondering what its value is.

Bryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice find ! How is the timing ?
Haven't shot it yet, just got it cleaned and polished today. I plan to shoot it this week and see how it performs. Did the cylinder on these malfunction and not line up with the barrel & cause a catastrophe in peoples hands?

Bryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Is it a bad thing to have the deep tool marks? When I had it all apart today, the numbers 801 are on everything.

Bryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The late Professor Eraldo Rabello - our pioneer on Forensic Ballistics area - once said that saw a Taurus revolver by the first time in 1941 - shown by a G-Man during a course in the USA (maybe a sample or prototype).

It's curious that a FBI agent got a Taurus revolver even before of Brazilian authorities.
Probably bc Firearms International was a shell company for the CIA back in the 70's... Just saying.

Bryan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Any idea how & if we could figure out the exact year?

Bryan
Exact year is very difficult in Taurus revolvers made before 1980s.

The logo is the used from 1949 to 1973.

The mainspring tells you if the gun was made before 1960 (flat) or after (coiled).

Another tip is the safety bar (you must disassembly the mechanism): up to 1967, it's a copy of S&W design. From 1967 to 1977, the safety bar is curved, actued by an inverted L-shaped piece.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Start with the sight from a S&W Model 19, it will extend the whole length of the frame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Exact year is very difficult in Taurus revolvers made before 1980s.

The logo is the used from 1949 to 1973.

The mainspring tells you if the gun was made before 1960 (flat) or after (coiled).

Another tip is the safety bar (you must disassembly the mechanism): up to 1967, it's a copy of S&W design. From 1967 to 1977, the safety bar is curved, actued by an inverted L-shaped piece.
Hey Erick,
Here is a quick video I made when the gun was apart showing the mechanism moving. I wanted to show you this and see what your thoughts are.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Why are you preaching religion in your video while showing us your gun?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts