Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you saw my previous post about me working on a buddy's old Rossi 38, it's one that pre-dates Interarms imported Rossi's. I took it to the range today to test the lighter hammer spring I put in it. It didn't go so well. I had a bunch of light strikes. I still have 10 rounds that went back into the box with tiny dimples on the primers. Well after deciding to call it quits, I was looking it over and saw the hammer nose was broke. Turns out, it was still stuck in the firing pin hole. I haven't been able to come up with a proper model number, but looking at Ebay, and several gun parts websites, including Numrichs, turns up zero Rossi firing pins/hammer noses. The only thing close I can find is on Gunbroker, a seller has a parts kit for a M851 38, which is everything minus the frame. The pic shows the hammer that looks to be pretty much a match. Does any of you experts know for sure if this won't work? It's pretty close to my last resort. Unless someone has a hammer nose for a rossi laying around.

Here's my other post.
The markings on the barrel says Amadeo Rossi B CIA SAO LEOPOLDO RS
On the sideplate it says Firearms Int'l Corp, Washington DC

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/rossi-revolvers/134971-need-info-old-rossi-38-a.html

·
32,531 Posts
Three possibilities.

Call or go to Numrich Arms, ROSSI Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts at Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

They should be able to help.

If not there is this guy. Then please call our Sales Department toll free at:

866-NUMRICH

(866-686-7424)

Outside U.S.A.

845-679-2417

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST

If not then there is this guy. Rossi Gun Parts, Bob's Gun Shop

Least, but not last there is Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota Give them a call.

·
32,531 Posts
Revolver models dimensions can vary enough to not fit parts to one another. In other words substitution can be a iffy thing.

That's why calling to find out as AirForceShooter pointed out is the best bet. Talking with a real person can get you real time data if the parts are available. Or they might give you another source as to would have something if they do not.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the broken firing pin. I got the broken one out and found some Smith firing pins on ebay. So I ordered 3 of them. I still never came up with a model number of the Rossi though, but it fits.

I also found some larger grips for my buddy since he has bear sized hands.

I took it to my farm today to test it out. All went well. I was shooting HPR 158g FMJ that I picked up at Sportsman's Warehouse. A couple rounds didn't want to go off initially since I was shooting DA and staged the trigger slowly just before breaking. But just pulling the trigger normally set off those rounds.

For my testing, I was shooting at an old fridge laying on the ground around 100 yards out. Out of about 30 rounds I shot, I hit it 10 times, which was impressive for me.

As an aside, while the gun was apart, I manged to lose the cup that holds the hammer spring. After an hour of searching, I found one one gunbroker. I delivered the gun back to my buddy with a new hammer and a lighter trigger. His wife was able to squeeze the trigger in DA as well, so she is ready to go shooting again.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remove the hammer from the gun. There is a pin that holds the firing pin in the hammer. Knock it out and remove firing pin. Insert ne firing pin and re-insert the pin from the side it came out of, since one side will still be flared. I just used a slightly larger punch, and layed the hammer on a piece of flat metal, and re-flared the pin. There are some videos on you tube that helped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts