Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A interesting chain of events happened yesterday afternoon. I live in a farming community and everyone knows everyone and what everyone drives. Last afternoon there was a unknown vehicle going down our road at a vey slow pace. I was able to get a description of the car and the driver but no liscense plate#. There has been several burgularies in our area over the last several months during the day time. I reported what I saw to the sheriffs dept. My point being is it made me very concerned for our safety out here in the country. I have my MilPro 145, my Remington 1911, Bersa .380 thunder and seveal other pistols that I have purchased within the last several yrs. I was amazed how quickly I grabbed my old S&W Model 59. It was like hooking up with and old friend. That is one pistol that has never had a problem with a ftf or a fte and I have had this pistol since 1980. I have said I trust my MilPro 145 but I was suprised at what I went to.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Old habits die hard, and it's best to grab something you know you can trust rather than otherwise. Given a threat situation, if I had the chance, I would always grab my Winchester 1300 before my Ruger SR40. I know that I can trust the Ruger, but I am really comfortable with my 1300. Plus, it puts out more hurt faster -- 5 vs. 15 rounds not withstanding.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Old friends are always the best!

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
My old habit would be a nickle plated S&W Model 15 that's been my nightstand gun for over 30 years.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I love and have carried handguns all my life. There is just something about the sound of a pump shotgun action that speaks with huge authority. A 12 gauge barrel looks as big as a manhole cover from the business end.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Perhaps its a Canadian thing but when im awakened by a noise in the night or theres a strange vehicle around our property my first though isnt to go for a gun I usually grab a bat or machete or something.
Im not completely sure how id use a gun for defense if it came to it.
With all the years of martial arts I kind of consider even bats and such a bit frivolous.
There was one time though... last year on the first day of hunting season I was doing some work outside on our acreage. As the sun was setting a bunch of strange pickups flew down the road towards the far end of our land. the road comes to a dead end at our far quarter section. There was a bunch of what sounded like gun shots. So I got in my truck and took my Taurus .454 just in case.
My uncle went along with me also just in case. I left the gun sitting on the dash in plain view in case it was poachers just to let them know were not looking for trouble but we do mean business. I figured worse case they could be taking shots at some of the cattle.
We never found the pickups or any sign of life out there. After dark we left it and headed home.

Im not comfortable going for a gun myself, but sometimes it makes just a good deterrent.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We all have our own safety zone and blanket preference. In this case your blankey of preference looks to be an old trusted faithful friend.
After 30 some years it's a very nice blankey..:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love and have carried handguns all my life. There is just something about the sound of a pump shotgun action that speaks with huge authority. A 12 gauge barrel looks as big as a manhole cover from the business end.
Agreed.

We were having a cookout at my brothers house one day and just happened to be shooting skeet in his front yard. His driveway is about a 1/3 mile long and the house is not visible from the road. His house is the last house on a private - dead end road. The property is heavily wooded by the road. The driveway has a heavy duty gate that normally stays shut & locked. There is a no trespassing sign on both sides of the gate.

Long story short, me and another shooter walked across his field and were setting up balloons to do some rifle shooting and we see a beat up old pickup truck coming up the driveway. Keep in mind where we were standing in the field can't be seen at the driveway.

Dude jumps out of the old beat up dodge looking like vanilla ice--tatted up, cut off jeans, wife beater etc.. Starts rambling on about selling some meat. The other guy starts looking around the house--at his barns/ tractors/etc.

About this time we walk out of the field and I ask what he wants. He goes on about beig legit--selling meat, etc... I ask him if he saw the no trespassing sign as he saw at the gate(open due to cookout). He says yep, then he notices the pair of shotguns me and my buddy are toting. Started to wig out/ act strange etc. I ask him to leave. He ask if the guns are loaded. I racked a shell and I reply yes and theres more than just a pair of shotguns--pulling up one side of my shirt showing my g19. My brother walks up with a slung ar15 and the guy just really started to freak out. Tells to leave - that he is trespassing and he is calling the sheriff. Guy gets in his truck and goes flying down the driveway.

We did fire a few shots towards his field as he was driving off just to let him know we weren't kidding.

He did call the sheriff, and filed a report/complaint. Mainly because of a few break ins in the area.

Long story short, I wouldn't have fired on the guy unless he drew first(don't know if he was carrying or not)there were four other guys all carrying or within hands reach of a long arm. There were multiple women there to witness & be freaked out about the whole situation. But the multiple firearms made the situation easy to deal with. To this day we are still unsure about the guys full intentions. We were just glad there were many of us there and not just my brother or just his wife.

·
Registered
202 Posts
According to the many burglars I've spoken with over the years, they shy away from rural areas...especially where the houses are within sight of neighbors. The most common reasons were that folks in these areas tend to keep an eye on their neighbors' property more closely, compared to the suburbs or cities, and that everyone in the "country" has guns. We live on four acres, but our place is within sight of of seven neighboring houses. And come to think of it, everyone indeed owns guns. :) I'm not aware of any burglaries that have occurred in our neighborhood in the 16-years we've lived here.

My nightstand gun is my trusty old Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44-special, loaded with some really-nasty Corbon. Plan "B" is a Mossberg 500 Cruiser/Persuader 12-gauge, and plan "C" is a .223 AK-47. These are the only guns in the house that I keep loaded, and within easy access. My new-to-me PT145 lives happily and contently in the console of my truck, for the time being, which is always parked inside.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Agreed.

We were having a cookout at my brothers house one day and just happened to be shooting skeet in his front yard. His driveway is about a 1/3 mile long and the house is not visible from the road. His house is the last house on a private - dead end road. The property is heavily wooded by the road. The driveway has a heavy duty gate that normally stays shut & locked. There is a no trespassing sign on both sides of the gate.

Long story short, me and another shooter walked across his field and were setting up balloons to do some rifle shooting and we see a beat up old pickup truck coming up the driveway. Keep in mind where we were standing in the field can't be seen at the driveway.

Dude jumps out of the old beat up dodge looking like vanilla ice--tatted up, cut off jeans, wife beater etc.. Starts rambling on about selling some meat. The other guy starts looking around the house--at his barns/ tractors/etc.

About this time we walk out of the field and I ask what he wants. He goes on about beig legit--selling meat, etc... I ask him if he saw the no trespassing sign as he saw at the gate(open due to cookout). He says yep, then he notices the pair of shotguns me and my buddy are toting. Started to wig out/ act strange etc. I ask him to leave. He ask if the guns are loaded. I racked a shell and I reply yes and theres more than just a pair of shotguns--pulling up one side of my shirt showing my g19. My brother walks up with a slung ar15 and the guy just really started to freak out. Tells to leave - that he is trespassing and he is calling the sheriff. Guy gets in his truck and goes flying down the driveway.

We did fire a few shots towards his field as he was driving off just to let him know we weren't kidding.

He did call the sheriff, and filed a report/complaint. Mainly because of a few break ins in the area.

Long story short, I wouldn't have fired on the guy unless he drew first(don't know if he was carrying or not)there were four other guys all carrying or within hands reach of a long arm. There were multiple women there to witness & be freaked out about the whole situation. But the multiple firearms made the situation easy to deal with. To this day we are still unsure about the guys full intentions. We were just glad there were many of us there and not just my brother or just his wife.

Great Story Kustom -- it just goes to show that a visible firearm can be a deterrent, and yet is still ready and available if it really is needed.......

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
A interesting chain of events happened yesterday afternoon. I live in a farming community and everyone knows everyone and what everyone drives. Last afternoon there was a unknown vehicle going down our road at a vey slow pace. I was able to get a description of the car and the driver but no liscense plate#. There has been several burgularies in our area over the last several months during the day time. I reported what I saw to the sheriffs dept. My point being is it made me very concerned for our safety out here in the country. I have my MilPro 145, my Remington 1911, Bersa .380 thunder and seveal other pistols that I have purchased within the last several yrs. I was amazed how quickly I grabbed my old S&W Model 59. It was like hooking up with and old friend. That is one pistol that has never had a problem with a ftf or a fte and I have had this pistol since 1980. I have said I trust my MilPro 145 but I was suprised at what I went to.
Hold on, let me get this straight... you reported a vehicle driving by "slowly?" Simply because it was "strange?" I'm guessing you are:

1. Retired.
2. Ex-Military
3. Maybe engaging in a little over-the-top paranoia

Not comparing you to him, but this kind of jumpiness lead to Zimmerman harassing Treyvon Martin. Everybody just needs to relax a bit. Be watchful, but stay calm!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hold on, let me get this straight... you reported a vehicle driving by "slowly?" Simply because it was "strange?" I'm guessing you are:

1. Retired.
2. Ex-Military

Not comparing you to him, but this kind of jumpiness lead to Zimmerman harassing Treyvon Martin. Everybody just needs to relax a bit. Be watchful, but stay calm!
Will disagree just a bit on that rifleshooter. I also live in an area where everyone knows everybody and what kind of vehicle they drive. A slow drive by, by a vehicle unknown will get a 2nd or 3rd look here also. Not really paranoia but a situational awareness of something being out of place. Now when I lived in a large town (appx 30K) a different vehicle in the neighborhood was common so I didn't think much about it. Just depends on what is the norm for your area if a red flag goes up.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Will disagree just a bit on that rifleshooter. I also live in an area where everyone knows everybody and what kind of vehicle they drive. A slow drive by, by a vehicle unknown will get a 2nd or 3rd look here also. Not really paranoia but a situational awareness of something being out of place. Now when I lived in a large town (appx 30K) a different vehicle in the neighborhood was common so I didn't think much about it. Just depends on what is the norm for your area if a red flag goes up

Well said, I agree

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

1. Retired.
2. Ex-Military

Not comparing you to him, but this kind of jumpiness lead to Zimmerman harassing Treyvon Martin. Everybody just needs to relax a bit. Be watchful, but stay calm![/QU
OTE]
I did stay calm..I didn't shoot him or even draw my pistol..:)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Always remember..Just because your paranoid dosn't mean they are not out to get you..:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts