Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Forum, I have another question that needs your valued assistance. I have my old FEG APK .380 that has served me well for quite some time. It will eventually be replaced by my spanking new PT709 as my carry gun of choice. As this time draws near, I realize that a face lift is in order. The modern weapons tend to come with the 3 dot sighting for easier target acquisition. I would like to have something similar on this old gun. As it is, there are no dots and the sighting is rather low profile to say the least. The front sight can be dotted if I'm careful, but the rear sight poses another problem. They consist of a flat piece of metal with a u - shape.

My questions are (a) what color would be best on a matted Black finish, (b) should I opt for the glow stuff or just a basic paint color (c) if the glow paint is used what color will provide the most contrast and (d) should the entire rear sight be painted or should they be dotted in some way?

If dotted, does anyone have an idea how this could be done? I know, I know, that's a lot of questions but that's why I'm here.:D

This pistol has always been reliable and opting for a more modern weapon feels like turning my back on an old friend.:icon_ cry: So a little cosmetic appreciation is in order. Thanks as always, Biggz:cool:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well, lots of options here. My personal favorite is to go with something that glows/stands out a little more. In addition, I believe that having contrasting sights is a great idea -- something like the sights on Hi Point pistols (see pic below). Or you could also buy something like a set of Nitetsiters/Daysighters, and you would be good to go (Nitesiters Handgun Night Sights).

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I recently used red and lime green on my Old PT-99 that had no color on the sights since I owned it. For the last 12+ years I used the plain sights. The colored ones help, I just don't like them. I will clean it off and use testers paint or something similar to duplicate the 3 dots that should be there. I think a clear coat over it will help keep the color from wearing off.

I am thinking of putting 3 dots on the slide for my TCP 738 to help make the sights more visible. Think I may use the drill press and dimple the slide in the appropriate place and then fill it in with paint. Not sure what color paint would look good on the stainless slide. I will definitely do a trial run with out drilling dimples first to see if it makes enough difference to make it worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts