Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hanging around this forum for months and read all the posts about Spectrum problems. The suggested fixes were taken to heart and when I got my new Spectrum I took it home and cleaned the snot out of it. The barrel was filthy. It looked like it had 100 rounds through it not one mag to test fire it at the factory before shipping. The rest of the gun looked clean. The mags had a lot of old dried oil in them.
With the gun all cleaned I headed for the range with four types of ammo the check things out. The gun ran perfectly for the first few mags. No light primer strikes, no last round failing to feed, no failure to fire, no nothing. It shot to point of aim at seven yards putting 13 rounds into a two and three quarter inch group at seven yards. THEN IT ALL WENT TO HELL.
The slide started to lock back on almost every round fired. I tried both mags with the same result. I went home, tore the slide off and found the slide lock lever was flopping up and down with no spring pressure on it. Since I could not get the frame assembly out of the grip I do not know if the spring broke or slipped off the lever or the lever broke. I called Taurus and they are sending a return shipping label. Twelve weeks estimated turn around time.
Has anyone found out how to get the frame assembly out of the grip? If I could get it out and see the problem I might be able to fix it myself and save the three month wait. The gun shot really well despite the tiny sights and 75 year old eyes. It is better than my Kahr P380 for feel in the hand and point ability.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Greetings.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about the Spectrum problems, but I'm sure there'll be someone along shortly with some info.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine" state of Florida.

State of over 1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
17,244 Posts
Good..........we need more old guys in here.
We tend to class up the place a bit.

mat.jpg

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Welcome from Cherokee County, Georgia.
I think I’d let Taurus fix it. Booger something up trying to fix it yourself might booger up your warranty too.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
24,854 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome from another Texan!

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois! Their standard quote has been 4-6 weeks, but that is assuredly dependent on parts availability. When they get the decision that the gun has to be replaced, they used to go through a review board process. We do have some folks who have torn down the Spectrum and they may be along shortly. I hope that you can get it running well soon.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
The PT738 comes apart with a couple of pins that go through the entire frame. Loosen a couple of springs and the mechanism comes right out of the frame. I'm guessing the Spectrum is similar. I found the PT738 instruction on YouTube, so that's where I would start.

However, as someone else mentioned, I wouldn't do that to a new gun for fear that I'd mess something up that would void the warranty. I'd part with it for a few months just to keep from messing it up altogether.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Taurus sent me a return shipping label and the gun will go out Fed Ex in the morning. I just hope they fix the slide lock and do not mess with anything else. The gun ran perfectly for 26 rounds of Winchester white box and my reloads (rem 88gr JHP over 3gr of Bullseye). Early production guns often have problems that get sorted out during the production run. My serial number is 1F366XX so I guess that puts it well into the production run.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,245 Posts
Taurus sent me a return shipping label and the gun will go out Fed Ex in the morning. I just hope they fix the slide lock and do not mess with anything else. The gun ran perfectly for 26 rounds of Winchester white box and my reloads (rem 88gr JHP over 3gr of Bullseye). Early production guns often have problems that get sorted out during the production run. My serial number is 1F366XX so I guess that puts it well into the production run.
No one here ever uses reloads in their Taurus, it voids the warranty. However, I am glad to hear that the WWB and VARIOUS other ammo worked well.

Welcome to the forum :wave: from SW Ks

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
exactly!
I never shoot reloads in any of my weapons!
I just like to load them up and stack them up cause I like to look at the shiny brass.
I would NEVER use them in a gun.

Reactions: shinerjohn
1 - 20 of 20 Posts