Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a trip to the other house today to do the yardwork.
Decided to bring back my TI 99/4A and search for accessories on eBay and get it up and running.
Still in the original packaging, although the box is a bit ragged.
Manuals, cables and power supply, never opened and run.

SN850395.JPG

Next trip I might bring back all the old Apple computers I have.

Anyone still have a relic laying around, working or not?
Post a pic if you do.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
An Old Relic just laying around....

8-28-08 021.jpg

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Decided to bring back my TI 99/4A and search for accessories on eBay and get it up and running.

View attachment 25773

Post a pic if you do.
You turn that thing on and you're gonna get zapped back to 1985!
Just sayin'...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Gwk, you have got to have better things to do, lol! Use that thing for target practice!

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not for target practice!
This is a piece of computer history and must be preserved.
Someday in the future it might even be worth a few bucks!
(Up to $100 on eBay right now)
Besides, what else is there for an unemployed computer tech to do?
(other than shoot paper targets)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
One of the younger dudes at school carries one every day. But it is not stock anymore. It looks like an old Tandy but has modern guts in it and is super fast. Dang thing also has something special evidently done to the wireless cause he is always in range of a signal even in a room where no one else can get service.

Sarge

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
But it goes to sleep in a dignified manner. *grin*

Sarge

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Ah, the memories.

Starting graduate school with a TRS-80 (yes, trash-80) as a word processor and being ahead of the curve. Grinding cassette drive and all.

Then an 8088. 'Upgrading' to a 286.

Geesh.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts

View attachment 25773

Post a pic if you do.
I have one of those TI-99's in my basement, i would dig it out but can't even get back to that area to find it. Mine has the voice synthesizer attachment and about 5 applications made on those bulky cartridges. I mostly used it for BASIC programming way back when, those were the days. It's packed up in a box with my old ATARI, controllers, paddles, and games. I kind of wish i could dig them out at the moment, but there's almost more stuff than space down there.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'll have to see if I have any pictures. The pics that I do have are full of old computers with big gaping holes in them. Hope that won't offend anybody.:)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have one of those TI-99's in my basement, i would dig it out but can't even get back to that area to find it. Mine has the voice synthesizer attachment and about 5 applications made on those bulky cartridges. I mostly used it for BASIC programming way back when, those were the days. It's packed up in a box with my old ATARI, controllers, paddles, and games. I kind of wish i could dig them out at the moment, but there's almost more stuff than space down there.
I don't have any of the cartridges or accessories.
The computer was given to me many years ago by one of my Son's friends who didn't want it, and knew I was a computer geek.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Well if you know original BASIC at all, it can be fun to play with. I remember changing the colors on screen on time delay with notes to songs. One of the hardest ones to get right was Credence Clearwater's "Proud Mary". There were way more lines of code to do in that song than any 8 year old should have to write.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did know MS Basic, and also learned to do some stuff in C++, way back when in the '80s.
Then I started using Turbo Assembler and writing programs in x86 machine code.
Remember the Star Wars game "Tie Fighter" for the PC?
I wrote a program in assembly to cheat at the game by altering the number and type of weapons, adding wingmen, invincibility and other stuff.
And it all fit on one 1.4MB floppy disk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts