Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey new gent here, but am old. Hello all!

I’ve owned this Taurus 66 Satin Pinned Barrel 357 5 number serial 452XX since 79/80 if memory serves. It was used and probably 95% or better when I first got it. It’s lived its entire life riding in Jeeps, ATV’s,Boats and on my hip hunting and being in the woods since I got it. Laid many hogs down.

I know it pre dates any info Taurus has. I recently sold my last old Jeep and got curious about it. Anyone care to date it with their opinion? Below is a photo. I have the original grips somewhere as well. It’s had a rough life, held up very well, shot in my guess well over 5k rounds, maybe even up in the 7-9k.

Still shoots as it always has, forcing cone perfect, tight lock up. Never a issue one.

So what y’all think? 1970’s or earlier?

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome from Iowa! You'll find lots of great people and good information in this cyber community.

good looking wheelie and neat history... Someone will come along that knows about it

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
That looks like a 3" barrel, right? And with the partial lug. That IS an earlier model. All good.

So, congrats o having one of the bettter Tauruses. And welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from Iowa! You'll find lots of great people and good information in this cyber community.

good looking wheelie and neat history... Someone will come along that knows about it

Thanks! Okie here. Have hunted all over Iowa, nice state! Sheffield Iowa has my heart!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks like a 3" barrel, right? And with the partial lug. That IS an earlier model. All good.

So, congrats o having one of the bettter Tauruses. And welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us.

Yes on the 3”. I just got curious the other day. I sold my old hunting Jeep, cleaned it out and brought the old Taurus in the house. I have a selection of old S&W’s dating back in the 59 and 60’s and the Taurus will hang with any of them, it sure as heck as been shot more so than any one of them. I cannot remember one single hiccup.

·
8,683 Posts
Certainly and old gem. It is in good condition, its too bad Taurus won't provide birthdates for their handguns anymore via their webpage. It is certainly older than 2000. But am not sure. Can you remove the grip and see if a serial is on the underside of the frame. Or maybe on the sideplate. A serial may help folks help out with the age. Thanks for sharing the neat back story.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Certainly and old gem. It is in good condition, its too bad Taurus won't provide birthdates for their handguns anymore via their webpage. It is certainly older than 2000. But am not sure. Can you remove the grip and see if a serial is on the underside of the frame. Or maybe on the sideplate. A serial may help folks help out with the age. Thanks for sharing the neat back story.

Serial# 452XX

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm no expert, but I thought model 66 all had adjustable sights. That looks a lot like my model 65 built in 1992.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm no expert, but I thought model 66 all had adjustable sights. That looks a lot like my model 65 built in 1992.

Notice yours is not pinned barrel and missing cylinder stop right below at 5 o’clock of the cylinder. Taurus told me it is Pre 1980 and one employee guessed the 5 digit serial number 452XX dates it early 70’s maybe older. It is stamped 66. It sure ain’t 90’s as I bought it used in 79/80 and I’m no time traveler! LOL!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Notice yours is not pinned barrel and missing cylinder stop right below at 5 o’clock of the cylinder. Taurus told me it is Pre 1980 and one employee guessed the 5 digit serial number 452XX dates it early 70’s maybe older. It is stamped 66. It sure ain’t 90’s as I bought it used in 79/80 and I’m no time traveler! LOL!
Yes, I know yours is older than mine. I am just surprised it doesn't have an adjustable rear sight. That has been the main difference between the 65 and 66. Both are great guns. Too bad they don't still come in 3".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes, I know yours is older than mine. I am just surprised it doesn't have an adjustable rear sight. That has been the main difference between the 65 and 66. Both are great guns. Too bad they don't still come in 3".

You may be onto it being a 65 instead of 66. Look at this photo. The second number looks to be the same as the first, but it may be a 5? I think it may very well be a 65. I have old eyes! I will clean on it and use a magnifying glass on it tomorrow in good light. You got me curios, I’m almost certain the second number is indeed a 5! Good eye!

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
The numbers are a little hard to read, but I believe you have a 65.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The numbers are a little hard to read, but I believe you have a 65.

Yes I do too now! Thanks for helping me by pointing that out.

And now about the Firebird. I had a 68 factory straight 6cyl 24 valve overhead cam, 4 speed Muncie all factory Firebird! I bought in 74 and should have never let it go. But I had a guy offer over 5 times what I paid for it in 1983.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

Nice revolver.

·
Super Moderator
35,150 Posts
Welcome from south Texas. Looks like a M65 to me, no adjustable rear sight. The 66s I have do have the adjustable rear sight. I have a nickel 6 shot 66, mid 90s and a mid 80s 3" 66 that's blued. Great shooting revolvers! I carry the 3" occasionally, have a really comfy Don Hume OWB belt slide holster for it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
And now about the Firebird. I had a 68 factory straight 6cyl 24 valve overhead cam, 4 speed Muncie all factory Firebird! I bought in 74 and should have never let it go. But I had a guy offer over 5 times what I paid for it in 1983.
I sold mine last year after owning it about 25 years. I wasn't driving it much and it was just going to deteriorate sitting in the barn. It's a 400ci automatic. I really liked the body style from the time they came out and always wanted one. The color combination you see was the same as the '69 Grand Prix I bought new.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. You've found a great place with lots of friendly folks!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Is there an importer mark? Interarms? FIE Miami? Taurus started distributing their own guns in 1982. Anything from before that should have an importer's stamp of some sort.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts