Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a .38 revolver for years but I'm now in the market for a nice but inexpensive consealed carry weapon. Bass Pro Shop has a new Taurus 709 on sale right now for $349. I went in last night and held it, small but nice. I immagine it feels even better when loaded (more balanced). I have two questions. 1. Is this a good price for this weapon? 2. I know that this is a Taurus forum but would you truely recomend this gun as a good starter gun for someone who has not owned a semi before...and why?

OK one more 3. If not, what would you recomend and why?

I'm looking forward to you replies, thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

Get what feels right for you. If you get the chance shoot as many as you can before you deceide on one.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Welcome aboard from the KY, Horse Country!!

Be sure to check out the Sticky's in each section, and FAQ !!!

I have the 709, the PT111, and the 24/7 9mm, plus the 905 revolver. My first carry gun was the PT111, and the learning curve was tough with a short barreled gun. If you 38 is a snubby you may not have much of a learning curve. But the short semi auto is a different animal. I could shoot a 38, 2" more accurate out of the box than a PT111.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Welcome from N Carolina!!! I agree w/ the above. The 709 is a great gun (I have 2 of them), but you'll need to practice more w/ a semi-auto to get the shooting down right.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

If you have Academy in your area see if they have any and compare the prices. They usually are better than Bass Pro is, even on sale.

If you have a range that rents them nearby try before you buy. When I first got into handguns I probably went through $1500 - $2000 buying and trading before I found one I really liked. This was over a 2 - 3 year period.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't remember what I paid for my 709 but the $349 seems like a good price. I have over 1,000 reliable rounds through my 709. You should find a pistol that feels good to you and like has been said rent some of you can.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Welcome from South Tulsa.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
alien_greetings.gif From South Carolina.

Price sounds about right.
LGS here offered me one in 9mm for $329, $359 in SS.
Sadly it has to wait.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Welcome from IA! $349 is in the ballpark. My LGS sells them for about $335.

Might I suggest something that can be both compact and full-sized? I don't know if Taurus makes something like this, but Ruger and S&W do. Ruger has the SR9c, that is a compact with the compact mag, but has an adapter which allows it to take a full-size mag and gives the compact pistol a full-size pistol feel. Same thing with S&W with their new M&P Shield. I have tried handling both, and of the two I believe that the S&W has the better ergonomics. Prices at my LGS? $409 for the Ruger, and $385 for the S&W.

BTW, there are several members who own the SR9c/SR40c, and they could tell you how they feel about this pistol.......

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome from Southern Orygun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome from IA! $349 is in the ballpark. My LGS sells them for about $335.

Might I suggest something that can be both compact and full-sized? I don't know if Taurus makes something like this, but Ruger and S&W do. Ruger has the SR9c, that is a compact with the compact mag, but has an adapter which allows it to take a full-size mag and gives the compact pistol a full-size pistol feel. Same thing with S&W with their new M&P Shield. I have tried handling both, and of the two I believe that the S&W has the better ergonomics. Prices at my LGS? $409 for the Ruger, and $385 for the S&W.

BTW, there are several members who own the SR9c/SR40c, and they could tell you how they feel about this pistol.......
Very helpful thank you...and thank all of you who have welcomed me, I am surprised by how many replies I've gotten already. I noticed many of you recomended that I rent and shoot as many models as I can before purchasing. I have rented a few 9mm's but not the Taurus, it makes sense that I should. I guess that I got in a bit of a hurry when I saw it on sale and wanted to hear everyone just tell me to buy it. I'm going to slow down a bit and weigh my options, do some testing, etc. before jumping into the purchase.

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth. Good to hear many of you like this weapon though, it is still at the top of my list until something better knocks it off.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello and welcome from Southeast Tennessee;; I also have the PT709, mine has the Hogue Grip and Pearce finger extensions. Mine also was around $350.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Smiley Hello.gif Welcome From the Rust Belt USA....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a Mississippi boy!

I was stationed at the Olathe Naval Station with an Army Air Defense Group back in 66-67.

My wife and I loved Olathe, and returned for a nostalgic visit back in 1990. I was surprised to discover that the entire military base has been shut down.

Another thing that makes Kansas special is that our twin sons were born in Gardner, Kansas at the Gardner Community Medical Center. The facility has since been converted into a nursing home.

·
Administrator
40,161 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts