Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after reading mixed reviews from getdown and some others, I decided to make the drive out to Okeechobee Shooting Sports to give it a try. After 4 visits I can say I love the facility, but i too had some issues with the bald range master Graham. This guy does not belong there, he ruins a perfect time shooting each time i have went (well except the last visit). He has to be one of the most pompous people anyone will ever meet, and hanging around gun ranges we all have met the guy who thinks their the best shot in the world. Well this guy takes that one further, by just butting in to conversations my group and i were having to boast about how he was the worlds best shooter and how we were doing it all wrong. Then went on to tell me how my Taurus 1911 was junk and he has seen them blow up on the line, and no serious shooter would buy one. Well I like my guns and chose it carefully after trying many and am happy with it and i dont need some moron who is full of him self talking down about my gear, especially when he is an employee of a business I am patronizing.

We were a bit put off at his behavior on that first visit, but decided to return because the facility and other staff were great. Our second and third visits were the same, great facility and staff except for that one idiot Graham. We did some skeet shooting on our 3rd visit and found that to be great, good setup and helpful staff. We had a great morning at skeet then switched over to rifle and pistol to burn some brass. Thats were things went bad. We were greeted by the same rm Graham at the line, who saw we were riding sport bikes and felt the need to go into a 5 minute speech about he was the worlds greatest bike racer and set all the records...grrr...we just want to shoot not hear your self promotion. Luckily one of the other rm's grabbed us some flags and got us lanes and away from the neverending tales of Grahams greatness. Even just getting instructions from that rm bothers me because he speaks so loudly and talks to me like im a child when im probably 20 or more years older then he is. Once on the line he felt the need to come by and correct someone in our group no less then 3 times in the first two relays, each time resulted in a story of how he was on a shooting team and was the best shot around...DUDE no one cares...we want to shoot not hear some tall tale. Luckily he was called away somewhere leaving just the one rm there to run the show. He is cool, doesnt bother us other then for instructions and help if we need it. Much different then the other guy. We stayed a few more hours and it was just the one rm and had a great time.

We returned last weekend to shoot again, 4 weekends of shooting in a row WHOO HOO. We we got a very nice surprise when we did! Seems maybe the management has been listening to us here and others and moved the bald idiot up to the office. We only had to deal with him for a few minutes to buy targets and ammo, and then didnt have to even see him again!!! BIG IMPROVEMENT imo. We had the same rm John (I asked this time cause he doesnt have a name tag) and another guy. Both were very cool and made the experience fun! Hell John even let me try out his tricked out 1911( It was a springfield not a Taurus, but not everyone is perfect lol) These guys run the range right, everyone seems to like them and they dont tell you how wrong you are or great they are, but do offer tips and such, just not in the same manner as the pompous idiot.

In the end I hope this was a permanent change, if it was Okeechobee Shooting Sports has got a new regular customer, but if we have to deal with Graham on the firing line we will probably find another place to shoot outdoors. There is one other outdoor range I know of near Sebastian but its 2 hours compared to 1 hour to Okeechobee, and to be honest I really like the Okeechobee range. Funny how much difference one person can make in our shooting experience.

We will be going back next weekend to shoot again and see if things are the same as our last visit!!!

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Welcome aboard from another citizen of Florida the "GunShine" state.

Take your concerns to the range "owners".

Some employees think they are bullet proof (as in un-fireable), but enough public complaints can result in a major attitude adjustement or replacement.

Especially if the owners learn the complaints are being placed on the internet for the world to see...hint...hint.

We had a similar problem at my gun club which was resolved quickly with a NEW employee with a whole NEW attitude.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I know, it is funny how one bad RM can spoil the whole experience for you. Most of the guys doing that kind of boasting usually aren't what they say.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Odd you spent your first post complaining about some guy you don't like. Why didn't you just take him aside and tell him what your issue was? Seems he got under YOUR skin a bit. Best way to deal with another individual is to talk to him man to man and not complain about him. Maybe he thought he was doing you a favor by talking to you the way he did? Why do you suppose he picked YOU and not some other shooter on the firing line to grace with his chatter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks MoonDawg, the gunshine state is a great place to be. I did make a comment to one of the other rm's about him and was kind of agreed with by him, but you could see it was something out of his control. He recommended i talk to the woman up in to office, who listened to me but didnt seem concerned with it, sounds like she hears she hears it alot. But I do think the range owner reads this forum as he has responded to others on here before, and maybe some complaints got threw to him as they had moved the bad seed to the office last week. If he was just filling in or moved there for good i dont know but I will see when i shoot this weekend.

@ Wired He was not singling us out, he seemed to behave the same to all of the customers not just us.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You made it sound like he thought you were his long lost cousin. I personally would have just taken him aside and quietly told him not to bother me. If you don't call someone out in front of their peers and others in public, this is usually a pretty easy way to end any irritation. Glad to have you on board and hope you enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I use to have a brother in law just like that, then I took him hiking in bear country :D

1.1 USA.gif

Reactions: somedudewithagun

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Thanks for the post. I'm meeting my brother in a month for some shooting. It would have irritated me if we ran into that guy on our one time out.

Please keep me posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts