Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot .22s today. I had acquired 200 rounds of Winchester super X. It shoots fine in my 10/22, but a bit left in my Remington bolt gun. I don't wanna change sighting on it, so I plinked with Kentucky windage. I was dead on with CCI, so I know it's the ammo. I tried it in my SR22 pistol, not real great and shoots left and high. I need to try it in the Rossi 511, but didn't get around to that. That gun LOVES Federal Automatch. BUT, I can't get SQUAT for ammo! This is just ridiculous! I fired up 25 of the Winchester, some of my CCI mini mag, and shot up a bunch of CCI Maximag in my Remington 597 Magnum for which there is no shortage. I can get magnum stuff, not a problem. Of course, 10-15 dollars a box of 50, but AT LEAST I can get it! :rolleyes: I shot the magnum on a .22 spinner target at 50 yards, well, shot two holes in the steel. Now I see why the box said .22LR or air guns. :rolleyes:

I know where some .22 long is. I didn't even know they still made longs. I can shoot it in the Remington bolt gun and my Rossi revolver, not sure it'll group worth a toot, but I'm desperate at this point. I think I'll run buy that stuff up and some .22 mag Monday. I really prefer Federal bulk, CCI mini mags, and Federal Automatch. But, when it ain't for sale, it ain't for sale.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
I've been looking for 22 ammo for weeks, non in stock in the local gun stores. I just checked Midway, they show only one supply in stock, but when I clicked on the link it showed out-of-stock, no back order. In other words, Midway doesn't have any 22 ammo available, just future promises. What is going on?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Once things get back to a "normal" state, I'm buying as much .22lr as I can... I'm over this shortage and don't want to be caught in another one..... EVER

CreekFisher

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.22 doesn't keep real well. Best to keep it in the AC if you live in a humid climate, for sure. I'll probably start keeping a LOT more around since we've moved and I can shoot any time, now. I figure at least 5,500 rounds of Federal bulk and about 1875 rounds (five boxes) of the Automatch. I don't shoot CCI much, probably should buy several boxes of that, though.

I shoot .22 in handgun AND rifle and now that I can shoot right out my back door, I do need to stock pile some for the lean times like this, I guess.

I could shoot some of my 7.62x39 up, I guess. I have a few thousand rounds of that. For pistol shooting, I have been shooting cap and ball a lot.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
This is my first dry spell, (I'm a new gun owner) and I was not ready for any of this. Lol the .22 shortages totally caught me b surprise though. That and how quickly 20 gauge ammo disappeared ... I won't be caught by surprise next time, that's for sure.

CreekFisher

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Native, I got lucky with .22 stock piling, just because I invest in ammo and I had all the center-fire calibers well stocked early last year and started buying more .22 LR. Shoot me what you think is a fair price on Remington Golden Bullet .22's, I know what a local gun shop will pay, and I will send you a box of 550, you pick up the shipping and tell me how to ship it., In fact, I'll sell it to you for $20 and I promise I could do a lot better.

Nope, no matter how great a guy you are, I'm not parting with my Federal Bulk or my Mini Mags.

Personally, I don't think any American Companies are making .22 rimfire right now. None of our Walmarts in Lubbock have received any in a month now, and that was Mini Mags and Match target round nose, un-plated. I did see some rat shot yesterday in a Walmart in a small town. I know you are good at scrounging as am I, and it just isn't out there unless you want to pay $9.95 for a box of 50, and I know a shop that prices all those $1.99 boxes of 22 for $9.95 and is about out now. He's probably to $15 a box by now at the rate he raises prices.

I'll bet I could trade a .22 Long Rifle straight up for a .45 acp today and get plenty of takers. The world has gone absolutely mad!

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
When it comes available again I will continue with my shoot 1 buy 2 policy. The last few years of doing this has definitely paid off in .22lr and primers for me. I can continue to shoot at a slightly reduced rate and not worry too much. Of course when supplies come back up I will have to do a little restocking before I go back to the shoot 1 buy 2 plan.

I work with several people that always bought ammo on their way to the range. Needless to say they are not shooting much these days.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I only buy bricks when I see them. I have enough to build a man cave. I refuse to get gouged on small quantities. Live and learn Yall. Carry On.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've been stopping by Dick's and Walmart when I can. A clerk at Dick's said they got a dozen bulk packs of Winchester that was gone in 10 minutes, buyers limited to one box. Another thing I've noticed, even after a short time, is the parade of buyers looking for ammo. It must be two or three people every 10 minutes at those stores.

I'm finding centerfire ammo at a couple of LGS's, one of whom mfg'ers their own ammo. But no 22's. Weird.

I usually keep at least a half a dozen bricks around. Get an ammo can, keep it out of extreme temps and humidity, and 22 will keep.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
.22 doesn't keep real well. Best to keep it in the AC if you live in a humid climate, for sure....

I found .22lr bricks fit real nice in Fat Boy military ammo cans. I can fit 14 boxes of 550 in each ammo can. A little heavy, but they seal up nice.

Reactions: Lil Beaver

·
Registered
179 Posts
Walked through a local gun show today and was floored by the vendors asking $125 for a brick of 22lr. The really sad part is it was all old stock they had. I mean picked it up from a garage sale type stuff. I think the newest brick I seen was 10 years old or better.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
4 weeks ago I bought 2 of the 375 pack for 14 bucks each at the local Wally world. Feeds well in my SR 22. Need a couple more for some summer fun. I will not pay 100+ for a brick. I refuse.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Reactions: Lil Beaver

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have NEVER seen a shortage of rimfire. I really don't care about centerfire, only primers, and I've seen shortages of primers before, but not rimfire.

Someone mentioned 20 gauge? Hell, shotgun ammo is everywhere down here. I know where probably 50 cases of 10 gauge 3.5" T shot is, Walmart in El Campo. This is goose hunting country. They have 20 gauge dove loads, too, and plenty of 12. .22s, though, forget it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
.22 doesn't keep real well. Best to keep it in the AC if you live in a humid climate, for sure. I'll probably start keeping a LOT more around since we've moved and I can shoot any time, now. I figure at least 5,500 rounds of Federal bulk and about 1875 rounds (five boxes) of the Automatch. I don't shoot CCI much, probably should buy several boxes of that, though.

I shoot .22 in handgun AND rifle and now that I can shoot right out my back door, I do need to stock pile some for the lean times like this, I guess.

I could shoot some of my 7.62x39 up, I guess. I have a few thousand rounds of that. For pistol shooting, I have been shooting cap and ball a lot.
I'm shooting stuff that is from the '80s and early '90s that I have stored indoors and in an air-tight ammo can. Still shoots very well. As you say, it must be stored away from humidity.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I started a 'buy more than I shoot' program during the last election. Since then I have started reloading ( 3 heavy rotation calibers so far) and added 22LR to the show. at the first whisper of AWB I accelerated my reload supply (and ammo) buying at the highest l possible rate. Money is tight but I got a better lead on it and continue to hold my fairly strong position. It takes more phone calls and a larger supply circle but I have 3 competition events in March and will make all with no sweat.

Do I want to get on the far side of this - oh yeah. Do I have any idea when that might be - not a clue. Once the AWB crap is settled I'll fell much better - assuming the best *knock on wood*. It does seem like the bigger 2A battle is going to be on for some time and the more radical state variations and battles concerns me greatly. Time will tell. Ammo testing and IDPA practice session scheduled for Thursday regardless!

new sources for 22 = ranges that stock ammo for shooters and gun renters. Many have a policy of limited over the counter sales with some attention to regulars. 200 here and there on a regular basis adds up.

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before I get fleeced on .22 rimfire, i'll just keep shooting black powder interspersed with various center fire which I have some stock of. I have tons of 9x19, for instance, and can crank out more, have Dillon, will load. :D I have over 1000 rounds of small pistol, not a lot, but I haven't even tried to buy primers lately. I'm sure they're about as plentiful as .22LR :rolleyes:

I may break out an SKS tomorrow and burn some of that stockpile.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Never will I pay that and will flag those vendors. :mad:

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
And the local girl at the farm-n-fleet store thought I was nuts when I bought the last 10 bricks of .22LR Federal Champion bulk and 50 boxes of .223 PMC from them back in December. Now, they can't get either. Lately, my air rifles have been getting a workout. I have plenty of pellets, and recently made a mold for using wheel weight lead at work on the CNC machine. I'm not shooting much nowadays, but do have a reserve for verifying sights/scopes.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I was at my LGS looking for a new .17HMR toy when UPS arrived with boxes full of Federal ammo, I scored a brick of Federal Match .22LR for $40.00.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Not having much luck finding .22LR here locally either so for the time being I'm shooting what I have sparingly and opting to shoot more .223, 9mm, .357 Sig and other calibers that I have in abundance.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts