Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is, the satisfaction of shooting ammo that you yourself made. :D I finished my first 100 rounds of ammo and I'm very pleased. As you know from a previous thread, my scale had some issues and I ended up pulling about 75 finished bullets and remeasuring the powder. After going through all of that, I went to the range today with my son.

All 100 were using 185 grain Hornady XTP bullets, Winchester cases, and CCI primers. All loads were set to an OAL of 1.225 or slightly lower. I split the loads up four ways:

- 7.0 grains Unique
- 7.5 grains Unique
- 6.2 grains HP38
- 6.6 grains HP38

I took my Glock 21 with me because frankly I didn't want to tear up my PT1911 if something went wrong. I nervously loaded my first rounds in the mag, and pulled the trigger. Just the normal BOOM - no fatal explosion, no gun pieces flying everywhere, my hand was still there, and there was a nice neat hole in the 9 ring on the target. Cool. :)

The 6.6 grains of HP38 and 7.5 grains of Unique were the most accurate.....I could use either for self defense shooting. The patterns were more scattered with the lesser powder loads. With the 7.5 grains of Unique, I noticed a few flakes on my arm after shooting. I'm guessing that I probably need to back down a 10th of a grain or two but I'd be interested to hear opinions.

Overall, a great day. I'm hopefully on my way to a great new hobby.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Congratulations. It is indeed a great feeling to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
I haven't reloaded handgun rounds or shotguns shells in 30 years, but I always got a lot of satisfaction in loading both. never any kabooms, and I did load magnum shotgun shells primarily, and just range loads in handgun ammo. It's kind of neat to feel like you are your own manufacture even if it is small scale.

My friends all referred to my shotgun loads as 300 yard shells. No doubt they were great loads with 1 1/2 ounces of shot and plenty hot, although not so hot I ever had any holes in my patterns. I remember while on a pheasant hunt, shooting a lead teal, and the teal and the two behind him all fell. George Bond, a now deceased friend of mine always liked to tell the story of me and my magic shells, pulling the trigger and it started raining ducks.

They were good loads, but when I shot the last of those reloads about two years ago (they were over 30 years old), they did get my attention as well as my youngest son's. I still think about reloading handgun ammo and may eventually get another press for .45 acp and .38 special.

Outside of ducks, there just isn't much in the way of birds around here anymore to need magnum loads. Still lots of dove and that is about it other than turkey. Pheasant, quail and prairie chicken are gone. Lots of Canadian Geese, but I've never hunted them.

Long winded, but there is a lot of self satisfaction in reloading.

·
21,932 Posts
KISS

Keep It Simple Silly

I use Universal almost exclusively with a couple of .40 and .45 loads with Tight Group.

But I mainly reload for volume to compete with so I don't tinker more than I have to.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Congratulations, I'm not far behind you in starting my reloading adventures, my Lee Deluxe 45 ACP dies arrived in the mail today, i ordered a Lee Classic Turret Kit last week and I'm hoping it arrives mid wk.
I cant wait to get started,

·
Registered
896 Posts
That powder left over, If I am not mistaken means not a complete burn. You can crank it up a bit more to see if it clears up. Altho, If your good with what you got, and happy with it then just stick with it.

Glad you had no issues and enjoyed your self-made rounds! More to come...Oh so more to come....

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Congrats!
as for the unburned powder, well if its just a bit then nothing to worry about.
several things that you could do such as changing powder to a faster burn rate, backing down on the charge and trying a magnum primer, getting a Lee factory crimp die and taper crimping the shell.
the HP-38 i think is a faster burn rate powder thats likely why its burning completely.
try the unique load in the longer barrel of the 1911 and see if you don't get better burn.
enjoy and be safe!

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is NO powder that burns complete in a handgun.
Powder flakes simply remind you to wash up.
Once I find an accurate load, why would I care about unburned powder flakes?
Never had a gun fail due to it. If you really concentrate on the target, it is amazing how the unimportant things disappear from your awareness.
Too many blaze away and spend little time really concentrating on the target. I shot IPSC and PPC for years and never was concerned about smoke, unburned powder, or how dirty my gun was. Just cared about the target.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I've also recently started reloading but so far only Pyrodex RS (black powder substitute) in 45 Colt loads. I shoot these for my cowboy action group from both pistol and my Rossi 92 rifle. It is the same load the guy I bought the 2 Lee Pro 1000 presses as well as the rest of his stuff from use to load for me. I will be doing some 45 acp and 9mm next though both will use either Bullseye or Unique as I have both as well as some Accurate No. 2. Below are pictures of my newly setup loading area with the 45 Colt press in place though I have the other setup for 38 SPL/357 now I do have all the stuff to convert it over to 9mm. I also got a sonic cleaner as well as the tumbler with it. It also had 1000 rounds of 45 Colt brass, bullets as well as 9mm bullets. I got a few thousand large and small pistol primers as well as a few pounds of assorted powders. I paid a total of $325 for all of it with the 9mm, 45 colt, 45 acp, 45/70, 38/357 and 44/40 setups complete with bottom replacements, powder feeds, 2 scales (1 lee bar type the other the same electronic scale you have), and several books on loading. After over 50 years of guns, I for the first time am loading my own.

Attachments

·
10,379 Posts
LoL I hear ya on the nervously loading up the first rounds and pulling the trigger. I think everyone who loads has some expectation of "I'm gonna kill myself doing this" running in the back of their head, especially on the first loads. My feeling, it's the guys who don't have that niggling little thought are the ones we need to worry about.

"I mean, really, how bad could it" BOOM "Crap, could you pick my fingers up and meet me at the hospital?"

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
There is NO powder that burns complete in a handgun.
Powder flakes simply remind you to wash up.
Actually there is no powder that burns complete in any gun, pistol, rifle , cannon!
if there was a complete burn then there would be NO muzzle flash!
You actually do not want a complete burn or the projectile would be slowing down as it exited the muzzle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I started reloading about 18 years ago with my grandfather, and that feeling that one of these times your going to blow your hand up always seems to sit in the back of your head (and i agree, its a good thing). the thing about it is that it keeps you concentrated on what your doing so it doesn't happen, because when you become confident enough to start going "its ok, its just a little off" is when bad things start happening. just keep good notes, refer to them often, and keep the brain turned on and reloading is a very fulfilling hobby. :)

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Administrator
17,595 Posts
Congratulations on your first load development testing and having had good results! :cool:

Enjoy your new hobby! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts