Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not really a complaint, just an observation.

A friend of mine recently bought a model 92 Al with a rail. He bought it at my favorite local gun shop....a slightly used gun previously belonging to a little old lady who shot only 200 rounds through it on a cold Sunday in February according to Randy, the shop owner!

The PT 92 was flawless other than shooting about four inches low and three inches right on a 10 yard target.

My friend is a relatively new shooter and a left handed shooter and I coached him on finger placement and his grip.
I then tried the 92 myself forgoing the normal shooting stances and grips and opting for sandbagging the front of the frame from the get go. (No double stack 9mm has ever worked it's magic for me...not Beretta 92, Ruger P-89 or PT111)
I take it back, I hit real well with a friends new SA X-D in 9mm and another friends Beretta PX4 Storm.

Sandbagging the frame at ten yards, the PT-92 still shot 4-5" low at ten yards. He shot three different brands of 115 grain fmj, all with the same results. I was able to get the line right, but not the elevation. The sights were three dot, not hineys, hineis, straight eights whatever so it wasn't a sight picture problem.

My final declaration was agreeing with my friend why the little old lady sold the gun. There is no solution with the fixed sights on elevation, the rear sight can be adjusted for windage and windage can be corrected with hold, trigger finger placement and other factors.

My only suggestion before sending the PT92 on a trip back to Miami was to try 124 grain bullets first to see if they will shoot to point of aim regarding elevation.

So, my question to the great brain trust of T.A. net is simply, Do you think 124 grain bullets will make a difference or not?

And for you brain trust members...don't send pie charts or any other B.S. nomenclature on this thread (unless they are pecan)....I sandbagged the gun!

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was it a limp sand bag?
I injected the sandbag with synthetic Portland and pulled out my blow-dryer with a kick-starter and dried it to a very stiff consistency. I also recruited the hot blue-eyed red-head in the lane next to us to whisper sweet nothings to the sand bag. If anything, the PT-92 should have been shooting way high, according to the report quoted from the sandbag and witnesses watching the sandbagf!

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Jake, I'm thinking we have the same favorite gun shop. Randy on 34th st.? Right?
Yep, Randy, the friendly bald headed guy with the somewhat sarcastic attitude who is very fairly priced on his inventory and outsells every gun shop in town including and not limited to 50th & Slide, Academy and Flim Flander Mountain.

My only complaint is he has been so successful he now cherry picks many of the used guns that come into his shop and those never make it into the gun case.

I am a regular there and help out when he get's slammed. Great guy, lots of fun and busy!

A much better real people gun shop program than Sons of Guns could be done there only he doesn't have a range or a gunsmithing service.

Another good Lubbock character for a TV series would be Byron Cowling on his moving and storage business....Lubbock just produces good characters in business!

·
Registered
548 Posts
If its shooting low and the gun IS being aimed right, for shooting low try filing the top of the front sight (a tiny bit at a time). That will bring the low shooting up where it should be.

Just a thought that Ive done in the past on other guns.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its shooting low and the gun IS being aimed right, for shooting low try filing the top of the front sight (a tiny bit at a time). That will bring the low shooting up where it should be.

Just a thought that Ive done in the past on other guns.
I considered that, but it does have the white dot on the front sight, and I already was shooting based on dot lineup rather than the top of the front sight that is just a red hair above the top of the dot anyhow. I don't really feel a half a white dot on the front of the gun is going to help. I am hopeful the 124 grain bullets will raise the point of impact. If the sights didn't have the dots, I would just fill in the bottom of the rear sight notch. At ten yards, he can still hit center of mass if he aims for the adam's apple, but there is still some frustration, even though he will never be shooting competition with it.

At least the Academy special, Rossi 461-03 was completely flawless through 100 rounds and my first shot with it was dead center bulls-eye at 10 yards, although I should have quit after the first shot. :) All the rest were close, but no more bulls-eyes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If I had a gun that shot really well for me and the only problem was the groups were off, I would do whatever it took to move the groups.

I have a Glock G30 that i just haven't got the groups where I want them YET. It has always shot high for me. I've gone as low on the rear sight as I can without buying adjustable sights and next I'm gonna get a higher front sight. I like shooting this gun and it is more accurate than I am. It is now only shooting about 2" high at 25 yards. It started at about 6"-8" high.

If you like the way the gun handles for you and it functions as it should except for low shooting by all means try a heavier bullet or a lower front sight.

I remember when guns didn't have white dots on the sights. If we wanted them, we painted them on. Break out the file and the white (or whatever color you want) fingernail polish.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, It's not my gun, but I would like to be able to get my Buddy happy, so I'll keep my fingers x-ed that the 124 grain bullets will shoot higher. If that works, I'll hook him up with a local commercial reloader for his range ammo, won't be as cheap as Walmart 115 grain, but will be cheaper than he can get 124 grain anywhere else. Or, I'm sure he can get Randy to give him full trade in on an XD.

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
Jake, do you wear glasses? Does your friend wear glasses?

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Okay....my first Taurus Complaint ever

Not really a complaint, just an observation.
I'll be going back through your 17,000+ posts to confirm that. If you're lying......thread locked. :D

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
Guess this is locked!

·
Registered
306 Posts
What difference would glasses make?

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jake, do you wear glasses? Does your friend wear glasses?
I wear glasses Fair Rod, my buddy doesn't.....why do you ask...do you have some.... um.... inclinations....does it matter? :D

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
I and my father in law have had problems with sighting targets while wearing glasses. My fil, had to have his trifocals adjusted, while I took mine off. At the distance I was shooting, 9 yds glasses were not needed.
Just a thought.
When you get glasses ask your eye guy about shooting.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rod, I shot four other handguns at the same distance the same outing. My buddy shot one other handgun the same distance. I don't claim to have the eyesight I had 30 years ago, but I don't think either of us have eyesight that is selective to being bad with just one out of 5 handguns.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
One final thought, as I said, this was a pre-owned gun and had a three dot sighting system. I'm wondering if it might have originally had heinie, straight eights, dot on top of a dot sights. Heinie rear sights would have had the bottom of the rear sight channel taller by the diameter of the dot thus lowering the rear of the pistol about 3/32nds of an inch and I suspect that is what happened. The current rear two dot sight has the bottom of the sight channel flush with the top of the receiver. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut getting a heinie rear sight will cure the problem.

Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out!:) No one ever did answer if a 124 grain bullet would have a different, possibly higher point of impact than a 115 grain bullet, but I suspect it may.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
What difference would glasses make?
OK, Finally one that i can answer!
its simple if you use glasses then you don't look like an alcoholic buy drinking from the bottle!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts