Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I was sitting around talking with some shooting friends (a dangerous thing if you're on a budget) and one friend told everyone that he just ordered a new Infinity pistol. When I asked the caliber, he surprised me and responded that it will be in 40 S&W. I asked why he would choose a caliber that appears to be in decline right now. He responded that if your shooting competitively, 40 S&W is the ideal choice considering power factors and other rules. 40 S&W is the only popular caliber that I don't own or had any intention of owning, but I listened to his reasoning. I asked another friend who competes and he too was shooting 40 caliber. Huh. Then Sunday afternoon I got an email from a vendor that I had used earlier. He's selling a brand new FN Herstal FNS-40 Longslide with three magazines for $299. Uh-oh. Like I said, I have a problem with self control. I figure if I swear off pizza for the rest of the year my budget should be able to recover.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Like I said, I have a problem with self control. I figure if I swear off pizza for the rest of the year my budget should be able to recover.

A mighty test of will-power if I have heard of one. Good luck, may the pepperoni NOT be with you.

·
Registered
24,694 Posts
Your friends are happy to enable er help you.

·
Registered
14,931 Posts
So is 40 S&W the new 38 super caliber of choice for competition?

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I just can't muster any interest in .40 Caliber myself. I know they are popular in competition but I don't compete. Other than that I'll enjoy my 9's and 45's. I feel no urge to have something in between.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just can't muster any interest in .40 Caliber myself. I know they are popular in competition but I don't compete. Other than that I'll enjoy my 9's and 45's. I feel no urge to have something in between.
I felt the very same way. But a brand new FN for $299 should be easy to get out of if I don't like it. And because I'm already reloading 10mm, I can use the same dies and bullets. I will need 40 S&W brass and small pistol primers. Anyone have once-fired 40 S&W brass that they want to get rid of?

·
Super Moderator
36,488 Posts
I had to open this thread to learn more about this thing called...self control. :rolleyes:

Toss a note in the swap brass thread to see if you can move your surplus brass for some 40 S&W ...you can get a lot of brass in just a small USPS box for 7 bucks.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
It used to be that the power factor break between major and minor caliber scoring in USPSA & IPSC was higher than it is now.

Then the .40 S&W came into vogue and the power factor floor for major vs. minor caliber got lowered enough so that .40 could score as major.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I have zero interest in the 40 either until I learned the 357sig barrel was a direct swap on the glocks. I got a great deal on my glock 27 and ordered the glock 33 barrel the same day. The 357sig is a hoot coming out of that sub compact frame.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
I like to stay with one caliber, and as a result shoot only 9 mm. Don't shoot competition so the 40 ca.l does not interest me. But that is a great price for the gun.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like to stay with one caliber, and as a result shoot only 9 mm. Don't shoot competition so the 40 ca.l does not interest me. But that is a great price for the gun.
And I'll bet you only eat your potatoes "mashed." Add some variety to your life. Grab a 40 S&W and order your potatoes "au gratin." Life is too short to stay with the same old thing. (Geez, that doesn't apply to spouses.)

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
ahh yea I see you beat me to it!
actually I think MOST would prefer the 38 Super as recoil is milder typically, while still producing the same or slightly better energy and of course the extra 3-4rounds if its a stacked mag and 2 if single stack.
course many aren't familiar with tis caliber unless they are serious shooters.
course then again IF you don't reload then that's a different game, and I will not, nope totally refuse to even mention the 9 X 23 cartridge.
The 40 is a very good cartridge, nothing wrong with it and seems there are plenty of good deals on 40 cal guns now that the FBI dumped the cartridge.

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
I felt the very same way. But a brand new FN for $299 should be easy to get out of if I don't like it. And because I'm already reloading 10mm, I can use the same dies and bullets. I will need 40 S&W brass and small pistol primers. Anyone have once-fired 40 S&W brass that they want to get rid of?
Sure! ifn you want to pay the USPS rate for a small box, send me your info via a message and I can run some to you.
I don't load or own a 40 but got several hundred once fire cases I am sure.

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
ME as well-- ahh except for the 380, oh and the 38 super, oh yea the 10 MM and danged it I forgot about the 45 acp!
but other than those I am pure 9 MM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts