Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several comments about the sights on my PT 101 P, I read some that said "Barney Fife" it and give a drop of blue loctite. Can anyone look at the photo and give a clue where to put it? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Only two places I can think of - front roll pin and rear staked screw that holds rear blade attachment. I would keep an eye on the two adjustment screws (elevation/windage) to be sure they are not failing, but no Loctite or you can't make adjustments - as for retaining complete sight assembly the front roll pin appears to be it. In either case (roll pin or staked) I'd not take loose just to put Loctite on them. However, Loctite placed on these two spots while assembled may help as Loctite will seep into any space it can find (wicking) - what remains on surface will not harden - if some wicks in it will harden and external excess can be wiped off.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok Wino, applied it yesterday. I used to ride a XL1200 Sportster, rigid mounted, and I found out real quick that Blue Loctite was my best friend. Again, thanks for the advice.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Ok Wino, applied it yesterday. I used to ride a XL1200 Sportster, rigid mounted, and I found out real quick that Blue Loctite was my best friend. Again, thanks for the advice.
Back when, I rode a 1952 FL... a hardtail Panhead. RED Locktite wouldn't keep that beast together.
Now I have a 1992 FLSTC and blue does just fine.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread-locking_fluid

As a disclaimer - I peddled Loctite for years starting in mid 60's working for an industrial supply house. Later years, used the product extensively in various occupations (mining, hydraulics, assembly of equipment, primarily tunnel boring and raise drilling). Great product. Works best if metal parts clean and petroleum free. Have an old bottle of RC609 - only way to remove is with heat. BTW, I use the purple #222 for small screws.

Reactions: Fackler Rebel

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Only two places I can think of - front roll pin and rear staked screw that holds rear blade attachment. I would keep an eye on the two adjustment screws (elevation/windage) to be sure they are not failing, but no Loctite or you can't make adjustments - as for retaining complete sight assembly the front roll pin appears to be it. In either case (roll pin or staked) I'd not take loose just to put Loctite on them. However, Loctite placed on these two spots while assembled may help as Loctite will seep into any space it can find (wicking) - what remains on surface will not harden - if some wicks in it will harden and external excess can be wiped off.
An FYI the elevation screw also helps hold the sight on the slide.
If the sight pops up you will lose some small parts that are crucial to the operation of the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts