Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be misinterpreting it. On the G2C page it shows limited lifetime "repair" policy. It says that this policy extends to firearms manufactured prior to Jan. 1, 2017.

However, armchair commandos on youtube and the internet seem to think that, this means no more lifetime warranty unless manu'd before Jan. 2017.

I don't mind, either way, as I'm hoping I won't need it. I must be misinterpreting the verbage used, or everyone online saying it's a crap move Taurus made, is.

Thoughts? Maybe this question has been brought up already.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Here's a link to the Taurus repair policy on their web site:

https://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm

Note on the third line, quote: "...repair selected Taurus firearm models FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm." IMO, two things need clarification. First, which "selected Taurus firearm models" are covered by the policy and which are not. Second, define the term "lifetime of the firearm". The first implies that there are non-selected firearm models. The second is highly subjective.

Reactions: PilatusTurbo

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
REPAIR POLICY
Taurus USA is totally committed to the very highest standards of quality, dependability, and most of all customer satisfaction. The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is a commitment to repair selected Taurus firearm models FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm. Should you need to take advantage of our repair policy, please follow the directions on the shipping instruction link and our work order form, which can must be printed out and shipped in with the firearm.

The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus USA firearm models in production prior to January 1, 2017.

This policy does not cover grips, sights, accessories, cosmetic defects after one year, or damage caused by customer abuse at any time. Taurus USA will not be responsible for these items.

TAURUS USA reserves the right to field strip, inspect and function test all firearms sent to TAURUS USA upon receipt or anytime thereafter. Customers will be provided an estimate for repair if such repair is not covered under the applicable Repair Policy.

It doesn't say LIMITED TO firearms produced prior to January 1 2017. It says extends to, or which to me means, also covers. I haven't found anywhere or anything official stating this 1 year warranty yet. Just people and videos saying it.

I'm gonna get the manual out of the box of the G2C I bought last night and have a look.

EDIT: Totally says 1 year limited in back of manual. Case closed. Sorry folks.

Reactions: NotSo

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This would also mean, that my PT-111 G2 I sold, that was in fact produced after January 1, 2017, also did not have a life time warranty. Even though we all thought it did. Hmmmm

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
A limited lifetime repair policy is probably limited to the availability of parts.

This issue has been discussed at length, and there are varying thoughts on the subject. Read a few of the threads and you'll probably be no less confused. For the most accurate information, consult your owner's manual. You can always go on to the Taurus web site and chat with Customer Service. Give them your serial number and they should be able to tell you what the status of your warranty is.

Here's my understanding...reality may vary.

Gun models produced before 1/1/17 have a lifetime warranty. However, many of those models do not have parts, so they can't be repaired. Many models in production to 1/1/17 have been phased out--some being replaced and others not. A good example is the PT111G2. That model was in production before 1/1/17 and carries the lifetime warranty. However, it is no longer in production and was replaced by the PT111G2C which, by accounts on this board, is nearly identical. Regardless, as the PT111G2C model began production after 1/1/17, it only has a one year warranty. If your old gun can no longer be repaired, it will be replaced with a current model, with the one year warranty.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Several of our long time members has a conversation with Taurus representatives a few years back about how that limited lifetime warrantee really works. Taurus's position is that once a firearm model is discontinued by the factory, Taurus will honor that Limited lifetime warrantee for a maximum of 5 years or until they run out of parts to service the firearm. Once they run out of parts or the 5 years have passed, so has the life of the firearm. Then you have got no warrantee. Some folks don't view it as vary fair. But then who is going to start up an expensive court case to recoup the cost of an older firearm?

Taurus never said that the limited lifetime warrantee meant it was the owners lifetime.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
It is really easy to understand.

The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus USA firearm models in production prior to January 1, 2017.

The key word here is "Model", not firearm. This is why so many models have recently been discontinued and replaced with a very much identical model with a different model number of designation. Example would be discontinued the PT111 replacement is a new model dubbed the G2C. Or PT809 discontinued, replacement is the PH9.
These new models come with a One Year Warranty.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jonrjen, can't argue with logic like that; makes perfect sense. Ah well. Still like my new G2C and can't wait to get it out to the range this weekend. I'm sure it'll run well for a long while.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fix it yourself. Parts can be found, and there is at least one YouTube video showing you how to do it. I would rather fix it than send it anywhere. And you learn about your gun, and all guns for that matter, they are simple gadgets.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm all about my own smithing. Parts availability would be my concern.

Where do you get them?

Other issue, is the new pins used on the G2C appear to be of a roll pin type, rolled over a couple times. Tolerances and finding those pins could be problematic. 🙄

·
Registered
297 Posts
Fix it yourself. Parts can be found, and there is at least one YouTube video showing you how to do it. I would rather fix it than send it anywhere. And you learn about your gun, and all guns for that matter, they are simple gadgets.
You have a source? Not trying to be a smart..., but best I can find is a slide or a parts gun minus frame for like the price of a used firing G2c in a big box store used case.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I haven't looked, haven't had the need too. It's a new gun, so maybe parts aren't plentiful yet. I can get parts for an RG made in the sixties, so I'm sure there will be parts available for the G2c once they start breaking. Why, do you need parts?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I haven't looked, haven't had the need too. It's a new gun, so maybe parts aren't plentiful yet. I can get parts for an RG made in the sixties, so I'm sure there will be parts available for the G2c once they start breaking. Why, do you need parts?
When the warranty and the parts are gone. If Taurus doesn't send a shipping label ($90 FedEx/UPS) And charge anything over $60 to fix something then the used non working G2 will exceed what they keep selling the new G2C for every 3 weekends here. A parts gun needs parts that are usable if I will hold on to it for "next time". When it came to search it was a slide, a slide and barrel, or stuff like this that is "Go buy a NIB gun already" especially when the parts aren't "tested if ran". I own a Subaru so I'm not a fan of "Never tested if ran" stuff with reason, LOL!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taurus-PT1...525/163228286433?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, just go buy a new one at that stage. If I get a good amount of time out of the pistol (subjective, obviously) I'll buy another. If it craps hard in a year or two, I'll be getting a compact Ruger. Almost bought the EC9S, but I still had all my G2 holsters, stuff, etc still around. EC9S only comes with one mag, too. :( I just missed me my G2. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep, just go buy a new one at that stage. If I get a good amount of time out of the pistol (subjective, obviously) I'll buy another. If it craps hard in a year or two, I'll be getting a compact Ruger. Almost bought the EC9S, but I still had all my G2 holsters, stuff, etc still around. EC9S only comes with one mag, too. :( I just missed me my G2. :)
It's not a horrible gun even at price, some stuff was not as take it or leave it for me. If this gun was $500 and up, you probably would have blocked me by now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed. I even learned from my G2, today, before I even took it out... Took the sight screw out, and applied a teeny tiny bit of blue thread lock. Mine didn't fall off on the old G2, but it was loose to the point of being about to.

Problem solved. So yeah, it is a few 'quirks' gun, and that's ok at its price. And yeah, if it was as much as a Glock or 1911, there'd be a problem with that. It's too bad that Taurus doesn't remedy those known issues, but it would inevitably raise cost, so I guess it is what it is. About to post my first Range Out Rep.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
It is really easy to understand.

The key word here is "Model", not firearm. This is why so many models have recently been discontinued and replaced with a very much identical model with a different model number of designation. Example would be discontinued the PT111 replacement is a new model dubbed the G2C. Or PT809 discontinued, replacement is the PH9.
These new models come with a One Year Warranty.
So say for example you have a model that has a one year warranty. Six months into the ownership something breaks on it, and the owner receives the gun back after a 6 month wait. Is the warranty over when the gun comes back?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think lifetime of the firearm and a lifetime warranty are two completely different things. I know it is like that very often in the archery industry. Lifetime of the firearm probably means as long as they are still manufacturing that particular model thus still manufacturing parts. Many people misinterpret this as the gun being covered as long as it exists in their personal possession.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
So say for example you have a model that has a one year warranty. Six months into the ownership something breaks on it, and the owner receives the gun back after a 6 month wait. Is the warranty over when the gun comes back?
Yes. (adding characters because 3 letters was too short of a response for the system)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts