Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but it's what a Taurus aspires to be. I recently traded away my MINT condition (see avatar) Taurus PT945 and although I did not regret the trade (I got a very rare Smith & Wesson 6944 9mm DAO, only 512 were ever produced), I've always wanted a Taurus PT92. Well, I didn't get the PT92 I wanted but I did make a trade today for a Beretta Model 96 and that's close enough for me. The trade involved my Bersa Thunder Plus 380ACP, 200 rounds of FMJ and $50 of my CASH for a total out of pocket expense (to me) of just $344 (I paid very little for the Bersa Thunder). It came with the Factory and Hogue Grips and 2 10-Round Magazines. The Night Sights are a little dim but I can't see worth a crap at night anyway.

And here it is:

Beretta_96_1.jpg

Beretta_96_2.jpg

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Still....a very nice pistola....congratulations and enjoy :)

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
Very Nice Beretta 96 and sounds like you made a very good deal! :cool:

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Congratulations.

I would, however, dispute the claim that Taurus "aspires to be a Model 92 Beretta". While their origins were similar to PAST Berettas, the existing Model 92, and the PT92, have gone their separate ways over the past three decades. The safety location is different, and, to many, better in the Taurus. Nobody has ever eaten a Taurus slide, and Taurus hasn't needed four versions of it's locking block to get one that lasted more than 5000 rounds. They are, for all practical purposes, different designs, with a common profile, today.

The Model 96 would be a better match for the PT100, because of caliber.

Both the Beretta and the Taurus are mature designs today, and both are excellent examples of large-frame 9x19, or .40 S&W, handguns. While Beretta has been introducing more plastic, and MIM, into their commercial versions, that's more a personal preference than a durability one.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Congrats on the .40 cal Beretta. Have fun with it, I'm sure it will treat you well for a long time. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Oh yeah! Great choice of a new pistol! I used to have a Beretta 96D Centurion, and it was a great pistol. However, I didn't like the DAO, so I got rid of it. One of these years I would like to have another -- say a 96G.......

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah! Great choice of a new pistol! I used to have a Beretta 96D Centurion, and it was a great pistol. However, I didn't like the DAO, so I got rid of it. One of these years I would like to have another -- say a 96G.......
I don't do DAO myself, oh wait, my 6944 is a DAO but then again, being one of only 512 produced, it's a collectible and not so much a shooter.

So here is my stupid question of the day: Do Taurus PT100 Magazines fit the Beretta 96?

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
So here is my stupid question of the day: Do Taurus PT100 Magazines fit the Beretta 96?
Nope! Magazine Latch is positioned a bit higher on the PT100 and you can't re-cut the Latch notch to fit the B96, but you can cut the B96 Magazine Latch Notch to fit the PT100. Also there is not much, if any cost difference between PT100 magazines and B96 Magazines to justify the trouble.

You're much better off getting some Mec-Gar B96 Magazines from CDNN. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/beretta.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good deal I think. I can find used 96G's online for 365, but after tax,tag,title,background check, celestial alignment, shipping, sea level at new orleans, and the holster/ammo I would want. I find myself looking for a new PT101 to convert to 357sig.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Good deal I think. I can find used 96G's online for 365, but after tax,tag,title,background check, celestial alignment, shipping, sea level at new orleans, and the holster/ammo I would want. I find myself looking for a new PT101 to convert to 357sig.
Several folks have been talking about doing the .357Sig barrel swap with their Taurus .40 -- I hope someone does it, so that we can get a report! Better yet, how about Taurus chambering a PT100 in .357Sig FROM THE FACTORY!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...but it's what a Taurus aspires to be. I recently traded away my MINT condition (see avatar) Taurus PT945 and although I did not regret the trade (I got a very rare Smith & Wesson 6944 9mm DAO, only 512 were ever produced), I've always wanted a Taurus PT92. Well, I didn't get the PT92 I wanted but I did make a trade today for a Beretta Model 96 and that's close enough for me. The trade involved my Bersa Thunder Plus 380ACP, 200 rounds of FMJ and $50 of my CASH for a total out of pocket expense (to me) of just $344 (I paid very little for the Bersa Thunder). It came with the Factory and Hogue Grips and 2 10-Round Magazines. The Night Sights are a little dim but I can't see worth a crap at night anyway.

And here it is:

View attachment 25864
And here it is again after having the Slide refinished in a Semi-Gloss Black Moly Resin, fresh Hogue Grips and some polished Stainless Grip Screws:

Beretta_96_SM.jpg

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol! That's a pretty good deal, enjoy!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'd say you came out nicely on the trade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts