Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 rounds of DA .357 in a carbine, quick to reload with a speeloader... if it is good in a .410/45 why not do it in .357?

·
Super Moderator
35,778 Posts
Meh, I have an SKS with a 20 round mag....:D If you REALLY want a speed loader, get an AR. .357 is great in my Rossi 92, very versatile chambering, but I don't really need to speed load it. It holds 10 magnums, 11 .38s, and can be tactically topped off a lot easier than can a revolver if that were necessary. You never know, you might be attacked by a company of squirrels, or hogs, or something. :D

Short answer, I think the revolving carbine concept has seen its day. The idea with the circuit judge that sells it, I think, is the .410/.45 Colt compatibility. It has a choke, too, like my TC Contender with the .45/.410 barrel which would make the shotgun actually useful for rabbits and such.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
8 rounds of DA .357 in a carbine, quick to reload with a speeloader... if it is good in a .410/45 why not do it in .357?
I had a win 94 (newer) in .357 loved it 9 rounds as fast as you could lever it.traded it off as I am more of an auto fan.how about a semi auto carbine in .357 sig or,9mm or.40????...Taurus of course.
:yipee:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have had a hankering for a revolver carbine since I saw one of those old Colt single action ones in a book when I was in second grade. I don't dislike lever guns, I just prefer keeping my shooting hand in place. Works that way with my Thunderbolt, and would work that way with a 608 Carbine. I don't find reloading through the little .357 gate that fast though. Lets see, if I get a 16 inch barrel made for the 608, and a stock...

·
Super Moderator
35,778 Posts
Well, a Mini 30 if you don't like the SKS's fixed magazine and gawd awful trigger.

.357 from a rifle length barrel is basically a light .30-30. The 7.62x39 from a rifle barrel is basically a light .30-30. :D

Meanwhile, the .357Sig, the 9x19, and the .45 ain't got much on the pistol length barrels in a rifle barrel, weak sisters by comparison.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hey ramairthree,

I also like the idea of a longer-barreled high-capacity revolver but don't know if Taurus would see a big enough US market for them...again. They slowly sold a similar model in US from 2001 thru 2005, but the bigger market for them is in England due to their restrictive laws on bigger-caliber handguns. These UK versions have a metal wrist brace that increases the handgun's required length to approx 24", and are commonly referred to as LBRs...I'm thinking it stands for Long-Barreled-Revolver.

Do a quick search for "Taurus LBR" and you'll see what they offer with the UK brace. The non-wrist braced US versions were referred to in Taurus catalogs as Silhouettes, and were offered in many calibers. These US-modeled Silhouettes remain somewhat hard to locate, but show up occasionally on auction sites like GunBroker, etc.

That's why recently I jumped on a pristine Model 66 with a 12" barrel...not quite 16" but it'll fill the void for me! Albeit its only a 7-shot but we have to compromise sometimes...and a few cheap H&K 587-A Speedloaders can make up for that 1-shot shortfall. At least its not compensated like a 608, so you get the full effect of each round's powder load.

Personally I don't think the UK-versions are as pretty with that metal brace, but it may give you ideas on how to proceed with a 608-carbine project.

And check out my album for a couple of pics of my US-version "ultra-short carbine".

Hope this helps!

BTW: Does your screen name refer to some hi-po Pontiacs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey ramairthree,

I also like the idea of a longer-barreled high-capacity revolver but don't know if Taurus would see a big enough US market for them...again. They slowly sold a similar model in US from 2001 thru 2005, but the bigger market for them is in England due to their restrictive laws on bigger-caliber handguns. These UK versions have a metal wrist brace that increases the handgun's required length to approx 24", and are commonly referred to as LBRs...I'm thinking it stands for Long-Barreled-Revolver.

Do a quick search for "Taurus LBR" and you'll see what they offer with the UK brace. The non-wrist braced US versions were referred to in Taurus catalogs as Silhouettes, and were offered in many calibers. These US-modeled Silhouettes remain somewhat hard to locate, but show up occasionally on auction sites like GunBroker, etc.

That's why recently I jumped on a pristine Model 66 with a 12" barrel...not quite 16" but it'll fill the void for me! Albeit its only a 7-shot but we have to compromise sometimes...and a few cheap H&K 587-A Speedloaders can make up for that 1-shot shortfall. At least its not compensated like a 608, so you get the full effect of each round's powder load.

Personally I don't think the UK-versions are as pretty with that metal brace, but it may give you ideas on how to proceed with a 608-carbine project.

And check out my album for a couple of pics of my US-version "ultra-short carbine".

Hope this helps!

BTW: Does your screen name refer to some hi-po Pontiacs?
Thanks for the info,and yep! Got a 69 GTO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts