Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want a short-barreled, low caliber bolt action for my wife and daughter to start rifle shooting. Don't want an AR, and don't want a 22LR. I've never fired 22-250s, or some of those other 22 cal's, so I don't know how rough they'd be . These women are both full grown, but i want them to enjoy it, so they come back for more. Yall know what I mean. Suggestions?

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
21,457 Posts
I'd prob'ly stay away from the .22-250, they're mostly a varmint gun and usually have the heavier barrel. I'd suggest a .243 or .270, both are popular calibers (easy to find ammo) and light in both weight and recoil.

Reactions: FreedomCosts

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess maybe a 243 scout rifle might work. Recoil is heavier than a 223, isn't it? I've fired 243s off & on but didn't really pay attention except to trigger and target.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Along this topic, but off- The new GUN WORLD mag has an article on the last page about teaching a wife to shoot. Very much says don't do it. Maintwo reasons, she won't listen to me, and I'll expect her to hit the target the first time, and get irritated when she has a hard time. The idea is "I can shoot, SHE should be able to shoot too!"
He said the first time he took his wife for a lesson, his first statement was , "I want you to be really good, so you don't SHAME me when you take your cc test."
He said that was his FIRST mistake. :)

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Short barrel bolt gun? Mosin Nagant M44! --oh! you said low caliber...

Does it have to be a bolt gun? I'd say for what you're outlining, maybe a lever gun in, say, .357 Magnum? Can also fire .38spl as well, so low recoil, not semi-auto...just a thought - Rural King had a sale on them not too long ago - the Marlin 1984 18.5" barrel.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Along this topic, but off- The new GUN WORLD mag has an article on the last page about teaching a wife to shoot. Very much says don't do it. Maintwo reasons, she won't listen to me, and I'll expect her to hit the target the first time, and get irritated when she has a hard time. The idea is "I can shoot, SHE should be able to shoot too!"
He said the first time he took his wife for a lesson, his first statement was , "I want you to be really good, so you don't SHAME me when you take your cc test."
He said that was his FIRST mistake. :)
Funny. My wife had never handled guns before we moved to Indiana, but she paid attention (although she does occasionally violate a couple of the 4 rules a little bit...:eek:) and turned out to be a really good shot as far as hand guns go. She still hasn't come to the range with me to shoot a rifle yet...

·
Super Moderator
35,997 Posts
.223 bolt gun? They can have a short barrel and shoot fine. Or, a 7.62x39 bolt carbine like the one's I've seen on the net from CZ.

Of course, .243 is awesome. :D

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
How pricey do you want the ammo to be? You don't want 22lr, but what about 22 mag or 17wmr? Or are you looking for a lower caliber hunting gun for yourself, that you can teach them on?

If it was me, I'd go with a bolt 223 or even a Ruger American 22lr that takes 10-22 magazines.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
.223 or .204 Ruger American rifle?

·
Registered
21,457 Posts
I guess maybe a 243 scout rifle might work. Recoil is heavier than a 223, isn't it? I've fired 243s off & on but didn't really pay attention except to trigger and target.
A couple years ago, I traded a guy an old Mack tractor for a few rifles. One of them was a brand new Ruger MkII in .243. Nice looking rifle but it was too small for me and just the right size and caliber for my 12 year old grandaughter so I gave it to her. She took a buck her first time out with a .30-30 but she loves that li'l Ruger and has hunted with it ever since.

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
Ruger American Rifle in 7.62x39 (shortest barrel)
Ruger American Rifle in .223
Ruger American Rifle in .204
Ruger American Rifle in .243

Are you starting to see a pattern here?

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bOLT 223 WOULD PROBABLY BE FINE, HAS BEEN HARD TO FIND. oops, capslock again- of course I don't want to spend much looking under 500 bucks. Like I said I'm being picky.
Looked online for used lever action 38/357, not a single one under 1,000 dollars. Rossi, Chiappa, Marlin- if they had a 38/357 it was HIGH. Marlin has the model 336 but it's sold out everywhere I looked. I only paid 375 for my 336 in 30-30 and love it.
Found a 243 bolt, think it was a Savage, 20" barrel, 449. Might could work. They have good triggers, too- as if the women would know.
The 38/357 really appeals cause it matches my GP100, wouldn't have to have another calibre.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.