Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say, as an avid reader of this section and a Taurus fan to boot, I'm starting to get the 1911 bug. You guys seem so darn happy, I want to join the party too! :)

I know we have allot of gurus here that can shed some light for me. For the record, the last 1911 that I shot was about ten years ago, it was a Kimber and it was a tack driver at the range I shot it at (7-10 & 15 yards).

Here goes:

1. How does it stack up against the competition (similar price range)?

2. Is it really as good as some of the more expensive guns (bang for the buck)?

3. Are there some proprietary parts or can you add upgrades fairly easily?

4. Just for kicks: Ruger SR1911, Springer Mil-Spec, RIA, Plain Jane Smith, PT1911, are we in the same ballpark?

You guys get the idea, I'm on a learning mission and appreciate you patriots to the nines!

Thanks in advance for your comments and wisdom! ;)

Lee

Reactions: ozzy and MilProGuy

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
I must say, as an avid reader of this section and a Taurus fan to boot, I'm starting to get the 1911 bug. You guys seem so darn happy, I want to join the party too! :)

I know we have allot of gurus here that can shed some light for me. For the record, the last 1911 that I shot was about ten years ago, it was a Kimber and it was a tack driver at the range I shot it at (7-10 & 15 yards).

Here goes:

4. Just for kicks: Ruger SR1911, Springer Mil-Spec, RIA, Plain Jane Smith, PT1911, are we in the same ballpark?

You guys get the idea, I'm on a learning mission and appreciate you patriots to the nines!

Thanks in advance for your comments and wisdom! ;)

Lee
1. yes
2. yes
3. Mil spec
4. yes

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

One more thing to throw into the mix:

Anybody have, say 10K or more through the pipe?

Longevity???

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Lee,

I've not had the privilege or benefit of shooting any 1911 pistols other than the two I have owned, the PT1911 alloy pistol (.45 ACP) and the PT1911AR in .38 Super.

As far as accuracy, the Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP pistols are in the league with your Duo Tone PT92; they are just like an extension of your arm...just point and shoot...and you'll hit what you're aiming at! (Only, they make much bigger holes!)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts
As the shoe ad goes...just do it.

I'm at about 7,000-8,000. Running like a top. I know there's 10,000 plus shooters here.

(I am not addicted...I AM not addicted...I am NOT addicted)

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Thanks!

One more thing to throw into the mix:

Anybody have, say 10K or more through the pipe?

Longevity???
I have heard tell that 10000 rounds is just getting broken in. Gun is still functioning well.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
As the shoe ad goes...just do it.

I'm at about 7,000-8,000. Running like a top. I know there's 10,000 plus shooters here.

(I am not addicted...I AM not addicted...I am NOT addicted)
and...you don't reload, either. ;)

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent responses guys!

Harry, you pushed the right button when you said just like the 92. As many of you know, my old 99 sent many thousands down the pipe without any problems to mention! ;)

Shot that baby regularly for a long time and hung with the best of them, back when I could see.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have not started modding... yet. I just got it this week. But in my reading here I have come to expect that, as with any 1911, there may be some minor fitment on any parts changed out as there are minor machining specs and differences with any production part/gun. some parts will drop in others may need tweeking. I have also read that you have to be careful about ordering grips because of the big ambi-safety or change it out as I plan to do. I did not limit my research to this site and came to the conclusion that PT1911's are equal to or better than most similarly priced competitors. I was looking at Ruger who I also like. The lifetime warranty is also a big factor on a gun that should outlive me if well maintained. I also LOVE the Duotone finish I picked it up NIB on gunbroker for $675 shipped with 2 mags, keys, tool, brush and hard case. PT1911.jpg

Reactions: darbo and leejack

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Go stainless maybe 50 to 100 more comes factory mods done already seen as low as 629 high as 899. Shop for thm, they are there. I have over 5000 round now since mid january mine is a 9mm. The only other gun i would consider in this range is ruger ss 1911 arround 700 to 800 range. the only thing i would change is grips. 1911 ss come factory with
Full-length guide rod and reverse plug genuine Novak® Sights
Serrated slide rear and front
Checkered 30-lpi trigger guard
Checkered 30-lpi mainspring housing
Checkered 30-lpi front strap
Ambidextrous safety
Beavertail grip safety with memory pad
Target hammer
Skeleton serrated trigger
Trigger job
Polished feed ramp and barrel throat
Lowered and flared ejection port
Custom internal extractor
Extended mag release button
Beveled mag well
Supplied with second magazine
and mine had amatch grade barrell acording to the smith who drolled over it wen it was ffled in

rock island is also a nice choice but all the upgrades can set you back an extra 300 to 500
jhp

·
10,379 Posts
I'm over 15k rounds through mine (possibly over 20K, I lost track and stopped trying to keep track many sessions ago) and it's still flawless, and on the original extractor (take that MIM haters! Now watch, just cause I bragged the friggin thing will break the next outing).

Considering the extras they come standard with (ambi safety, full length guide rod, polished feed ramp, etc) I honestly think the PT1911 is in a class of it's own at its price point.

Only thing I've done to mine is changed the grips, then changed 'em back for carry and I put a dab of blue loctite on the guide rod joint to keep the darn thing from unscrewing and separating while I was shooting.

I carry mine daily, it's had sawdust, dirt, mud, water, lint, etc caught in it and it still fires every time I pull the trigger (it's one of the things I do when I'm outside at home, I'll draw it and fire at one of my permanent target stands)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Just buy one you will end up with more, others made by other manufacturers. My PT1911 BHW has been flawless. The only mods. i have done to mine was to get rid of the most massive ambi-saftey i have ever encounter, replaced the slide stop with a extended slide stop and trigger job with factory parts. Just lightly stoned and polished trigger bow,track,disco,sear,hammer hooks and saftey levers. Pretty much left it stock as it is very accurate.

·
Super Moderator
37,560 Posts
I'm over 15k rounds through mine (possibly over 20K, I lost track and stopped trying to keep track many sessions ago) and it's still flawless, and on the original extractor (take that MIM haters! Now watch, just cause I bragged the friggin thing will break the next outing).

Considering the extras they come standard with (ambi safety, full length guide rod, polished feed ramp, etc) I honestly think the PT1911 is in a class of it's own at its price point.

Only thing I've done to mine is changed the grips, then changed 'em back for carry and I put a dab of blue loctite on the guide rod joint to keep the darn thing from unscrewing and separating while I was shooting.

I carry mine daily, it's had sawdust, dirt, mud, water, lint, etc caught in it and it still fires every time I pull the trigger (it's one of the things I do when I'm outside at home, I'll draw it and fire at one of my permanent target stands)
I knew there were some hi-milers here!

All true .. except for the extractors. They are a machined part as MIM wouldn't stand up to the abuse and the flexing. (I'm still on my original also...knock ..knock).

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't start jinxing those extractors guys! :D

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

I would say compares or exceeds to most.

For the price point? Definately!

The sight dovetails are a proprietary cut.
The grip area is a bit larger than standard. Standard 1911 rips will fit and look great, but there will be some extra
frame showing near the front strap

All are excellent shooters, but feature for feature, I would say the PT1911 beats them all! That being said, there's no way
I'll be getting rid of my SR1911 anytime in the foreseeable future! Another excellent 1911 in the same price range is the
Remington R1.

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
With my bad eyesight for a man of not quiet 60 yet, here's my .02 cents LeeJack. I haven't shot thousands of rounds thru anything yet to make any assessment on failures on my 1911's yet. I am somewhat fortunate now that I can collect some more "refined" 1911's such as my Kimbers and I have only shot one, the Super Carry Ultra so far and feel more than adquate with it at 15 yards. nevertheless, these two Kimbers are destined to live their lives safely in a gun safe.

My best shooter is still my Taurus 1911AL, then the Springfield G.I. and the worst is my Colt 1980 Series. The Springfield MilSpec, with it's limited range time is right there along with the G.I. I have not shot the Springfield Range Officer or the Kimber Grand Raptor yet either.

My nephew and a good friend, much younger with fresh eyes can and will tighten up the patterns much more than I can with the Tauri and the two Springfields. The Colt still shoots high and to the right no matter what we do.

Now that you have that "itch" for a 1911 LeeJack, I would say dip your toes in with a Taurus 1911 and start from there or, put your waders on and go off into the deep end with a Kimber, Les Baer or Wilson Combat. But either way, I doubt that it won't be your last one too. Good luck.

·
10,379 Posts
I knew there were some hi-milers here!

All true .. except for the extractors. They are a machined part as MIM wouldn't stand up to the abuse and the flexing. (I'm still on my original also...knock ..knock).
Are they? I could have sworn I read somewhere that they were MIMed parts, could very well be mistaken...I often am:D

LoL and speaking of being mistaken, ran into town and while walking through the store I had to adjust my pants (losing weight so they keep dropping down on me)...felt something roll down my pants leg...dang clip screw fell out of my Crossbreed holster, so now I get to go to Ace Hardware tomorrow and hope I can find the correct size machine screw, rubber washer, and center grommet to fix the silly thing...but hey, at least it wasn't my extractor!;)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Harry, those are some fine looking pistols.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Down to two choices here and waiting on the funds. It will happen. :cool:

·
Registered
14,128 Posts
I agree that the PT-1911 is a great Bang for the Buck 1911 to either start out with or keep for ever. A fantastic learning platform for also moving onto other models and manufactures.

I have owned many of the PT-1911 pistols and later moved on to various manufactures, models, and sized frames before finding my current favorite 1911 pistols of which I am now down to a total of two. My Smith and Wesson 1911 stainless series E which is a full size frame, and a Sig CP3 which is more of a commander size frame with night sights and TC laser grips.

I say go for it, shop the price, buy wise and explore the 1911 cult.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts