Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was given a Lorcin 380 semi auto in S/S.
I've heard a LOT of bad press about this gun. Isn't it the same gun as Davis?
Anyway Last time I took it to the range, it went boom every time. Accurate enough for me. It's a little heavy, but so is a C9 Hi Point.
I certainly would never use it for SD, but plinking might be fun.
What do ya think?

·
Registered
115 Posts
If it shoots it shoots. I'd get one for the hell of it too, if I saw one cheap enough.

Just don't expect it (or anything from the Ring of Fire) to be around long enough to hand it down to the grandkids.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it shoots it shoots. I'd get one for the hell of it too, if I saw one cheap enough.

Just don't expect it (or anything from the Ring of Fire) to be around long enough to hand it down to the grandkids.

Might be ok to keep in the tackel box.
Never know when you're going to get maulled by a stripper! (that's a fish guys)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I try not to let bad press get in the way of my decision making. At my local range some guys/gals are rude and crude when it comes to brand names..etc. I bought my Taurus 66 357 to see for myself what owning a Taurus was all about. I shoot it and my Smith 686 together all the time, and people are usually quite impressed with the Taurus after I tell them it cost me $400 less than the Smith. There are now a lot of Taurus owners at my local range..lol

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The only issue I'd have with the old zinc cast guns are that for example the davis 380 in particular is known to actually crack it's slide and they went out of business I guess cause one exploded and shot stuff back into the guys eye, now the old Jennings guns I hear were actually decent, but the rest of the "ring of fire" guns can be well... iffy. That said hi points don't seem to have that issue just the main problem with them, is you can buy a used Taurus or something like a Makarov for just alittle more. I had a hi point and it worked, was accurate and all and if it's all I could get I'd trust it at least till I saved up afew more coins to get something better ya know.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
If it was me, shoot it til it falls apart. Manufacturer has little bearing on what guns i'm willing to shoot, as long as it goes bang when i pull the trigger. I will admit though that i'm more partial to buy something made here in the USA than China, but other than that, i can't complain about my Brazillian. Lol

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I always figured these were the ultimate in the "meant to be shot little and carried often" type guns. Shoot it just often enough to figure it out, carry it as you need, and not break your wallet in finding an affordable gun. I never get why people want to use the heck out of a gun. It's like buying a car and expecting it to just last forever with minimal maintenance and then hand down to a kid and still be worth what you paid for it. I just don't agree. If you want a range time fun blaster then buy something made for that kind of shooting. But if you buy something, then I would hope you have done at least five minutes of research on it to figure what you are plunking down moeny on if you have so little of it. I don't know. I get crabby when people bitch over guns that they often times haven't even held in thier hand much less shoot one. You just don't buy a Hi Point and expect it to make a great race gun in the same way you don't buy a Ford Taurus and expect it to make a great race car. I just don't get people. I'm sure the Lorcin will function just fine as long as it isn't fed any of this rediculous .380 +P that is floating around these days, your buddy's six pack of beer during reloading ammo, or fancy pants hollow point bullets. You don't buy a cheap gun and expect these kinds of things, or at least I don't. Rant off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did a quick Google of the ammo used to destroy that gun. As soon as I saw they use "DRT" bullets, I quit reading.
This was the first link that came up when I did a Google search on the gun. (Never heard of it before)
I have no experience of "DRT" bullets so that tid not ring any bell for me. :angel:
But the comments fallowing the orginal post tells me that there is a reason to be at least wery easy on this pistol. (At least I would);)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
"DRT" is some sort of fancy pants sintered metal, powder metal, whatever overpriced bullet that is made to be one of these ultimate frangible ammo bullets. Go to the "Box 'O Truth" and see how well this over priced garbage high dollar high science reacted. I have no doubt that they have to juice the pressure to make the bullet try and perform. My biggest beef is the same issue as people that buy a box stock bottom of the barrel 1911 and then cry that it won't feed their fancy $2 a cartridge ammo. These guns weren't made to be high performance. They were made to be affordable. They work just fine with standard pressure ball ammo and shouldn't be expected to function beyond thier price point. They aren't make with the best materials so it's a good idea to swap out that spring at half the life you would expect. As for not being made to take apart (I read that when I had to look up what "ring of fire" was all about) I'm sorry if someone can't figure out thier gun. I have cleaned several Bryco, Jennings, and other lower cost affordable guns. Most of them were similar to how a Walther PPK is taken apart. Some might be tricky in that you need to read the directions to figure it out, but that's a perfect description of the Ruger MK series of pistols. Good luck with those if you don't read up first. I bought one as a box of parts once. Wish I had kept it. I just don't care for gun bashers.

·
Registered
591 Posts
A gun is a gun, it shoots and can be handled and its even better that you have been given it.

enjoy

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lots of really bad guns go bang. The ones you mention are the worst of the worst and definitely NOT something to depend on for your life. They are only good for people who are really poor but nonetheless need some form of self defense. Any gun is far superior to no gun at all.

Look at it this way...

A gun is just a hunk of metal formed into a mechanical device. Mechanical devices all break and all have widely varying levels of quality. You can buy exactly the same size wrench from Craftsman and the local Chinese discount import store. You can loosen exactly the same bolt with the Chinese wrench that you can with the Craftsman... until it breaks... which WILL happen sooner rather than later and maybe even the very first time you use it! If you need the wrench to save your life, you are not going to get it at the Chinese store.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
A gun has to be reliable and safe.

Unfortunately Lorcin, Davis, Jennings and their ilk have been involved in too many "accidental" discharge lawsuits too be considered safe.

Their sears are made of cheesey metal that shears off when dropped.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I recently was given a Lorcin 380 semi auto in S/S.
I've heard a LOT of bad press about this gun. Isn't it the same gun as Davis?
Anyway Last time I took it to the range, it went boom every time. Accurate enough for me. It's a little heavy, but so is a C9 Hi Point.
I certainly would never use it for SD, but plinking might be fun.
What do ya think?
http://

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had owned a Bryco .380 a long, long time ago and it worked alright but the slide nipped my hand everytime, no matter how I held the gun. I also owned shoeboxes full of Roehms, Lorcins, EEA Tanfolgio, H&R top break revolvers when guns sold by the barrel at law enforcement auctions.

Eventually, I sold or gave them all away.

I guess that I qualify as a gun snob.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
So far, all we have is opinion and anecdote shown up. I've owned a Bryco .380 ever since Maryland, where I lived for 57 years, decided to ban them. It's chromed, even. That said, it's been fired with FMJ rounds exclusively (IIRC), been taken apart and cleaned, and hasn't sheared anything, or fired when dropped.

They were designed as affordable protection, and pretty much nothing else. I've seen a LOT of them in the houses of poor people. In the years between 1970 and 2005, we NEVER responded to an accidental shooting involving a Davis, Bryco, or Lorcin handgun that had fired "accidentally", or failed mechanically. I'm thinking that most other EMS people will agree that they are no more trouble prone from our view-point than any other brands.

Have I ever carried one? NO.

Have I ever seen one used to defend some one? Why, yes, yes I have. Fact of the matter is, I've seen far more successful defenses made with these guns in the hands of civilians than I have of police issue 9mm and 40 S&W guns. I had to restrain a young man who had been hit repeatedly in the upper chest by police fired 124 gr +P+ 9mm loads. I also had to literally tie down a large man who had been drilled center-of-mass by a pair of 155 gr. .40S&W JHPs. Both lived to stand trial.

I also responded to a 100 pound Asian female who had shot her abusive 6-02, 230 pound, husband ONCE, with a .22 long rifle from a 2" RG revolver. In fact, I've been to far more shootings that were lethal involving .25, .32, and .22 calibers than 9mm and .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. I've been going over records of my old station involving shootings over that time period, Redacted, of course, per Federal Regulations.

It is amusing to watch people bend over, twist around, and hop on one foot, trying to justify more expensive guns. Many smaller gun companies have been put out of business by unscrupulous lawyers with incompetent clients who they managed to portray as victims. Sterling Arms was sued into oblivion because a boy-friend shot his girl-friend, accidentally, after he pointed a gun at her, and pulled the trigger. He had dropped the magazine after racking the slide, claiming that it should have been empty. He did NOT engage the safety. The lawyer claimed that Sterling Arms was liable because they hadn't included a magazine-safety!! A jury agreed, in this case. Does anyone actually have a court docket that can give us a look at one of the "sear failures" or "exploding guns" talked about? After all "they went out of business I guess cause one exploded and shot stuff back into the guys eye."

My Bryco still has a printed warning in the box that came with it that states to only use standard pressure loads. The use of +P, or +P+, then, is contraindicated.

Just out of curiosity, but where do we get all of the "experts" on firearms condition from? The FBI labs can't tell you how many rounds have been fired from a used gun, how can they, on the M4 Carbine forum?

I have to agree with MaximumBob, they are meant to be carried a lot, but shot a little. Hmmm, sounds like the old J-frames, or the Sigma .380, doesn't it?

·
Registered
751 Posts
"So far, all we have is opinion and anecdote shown up."

It is of my opinion, I purchased this gun new, along with two boxes of standard fmj ammo.
Remington is my memory serves me correct.
This happened in the second box.
It is also of my opinion this is a crappy picture taken 5 minutes ago with my cellphone.

I stand by my original post............
Wait for a gun buy back, you'll get top dollar for it and won't get hurt.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts