Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the February pistol throwdown. Everyone is invited to participate. The idea is to have a litte fun at the range and not blister through a ton of ammo. Unlike I did on the Silver Dollar challenge last month!

Let's see if I can get this straight. We are going to steal chicharrones lobster target.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/members/4403-albums446-picture46782.pdf

All targets are at 7 yards There will be a 4 target limit per class. So if you want to participate you can get in for as little as 10 rounds and still earn bragging rights for the month!

The classes are:

Rimfire, .22 caliber:
1. semi-auto pistol
2. revolver

Center fire pistol.
1. short barrel, less than 5"
2. long barrel 5" or longer

Center fire revolver.
1. short barrel, less than 5"
2. long barrel 5" or longer.

I know chicharrones target says 10 yards but some of us don't have 10 yards available. Hopefully everyone has 7 yards available.

So say we all!

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
If I get to the range I am in. Starting to have enough light when I leave work I may be able to get in about 20 minutes of shooting.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to hear from some of the more knowledgeable revolver guys on the chosen barrel lenths. Do they work or do I need to modify them?
TIA

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
What no 15 yds!!?? - Hehe, count me in M8 for sure!! Fat Tuesdsy here we come. :)

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I would like to hear from some of the more knowledgeable revolver guys on the chosen barrel lengths. Do they work or do I need to modify them?
TIA
I think the 5" cutoff is fine for both revolver and pistol. The distances between front and rear sights is comparable between revolvers and pistols with equal barrel lengths, which should be good enough for an informal shooting challenge.

View attachment 47122

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think the 5" cutoff is fine for both revolver and pistol. The distances between front and rear sights is comparable between revolvers and pistols with equal barrel lengths, which should be good enough for an informal shooting challenge.
Exactly what I was looking for Chich. Thank you.

PS: I stole the target just because I think it's a great target! :)

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Until gwk1951 is back in full swing . . .

Until gwk1951 is back in full swing, I will sticky this as the Handgun Shootout for February 2013.

We'll hold a spot for gwk to set up the March 2013 Handgun Shootout once that month nears. :)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I'll put one up for March, but I doubt there will be much participation due to the ammo shortage.
I can't afford to shoot what I have left just to punch holes in targets.
Maybe once a month I'll shoot a few rounds at 15 yards just to stay in practice.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Okay - suggestion BEFORE I post a target - tie breaker?!?! I can see more than one coming in at 100 points. I suggest the tightest center group of 6. It was the only thing that, looking at the target, came to mind - second tie breaker - most crabs with center body shots?!?! Dunno?!?!

Story: I'm at my usual range and have shot one group of 3 targets and had a pretty good 22 one - thinking of one more round to do target #4 and to start centerfire shooting when one of the ROs approaches me (came from the office - not working the live range) at the target stand. We're not first name pals but I've been at the range frequently for years - they respect me as a responsible shooter and we always have a few laughs SO he says:

"What have we got here?" gestures to the targets
"Oh I do an on-line monthly shootout with some friends - this is a theme target for the month"
"Well we don't allow any figure targets"
"Wha...I'm not sure what you mean"
"Nothing that resembles a person or any other other figures"
"I don't want to me a jerk, you guys know I'm here all the time...I guess I don't see the harm"
"Well we just don't allow figurative targets—only thing we'd allow would be a deer"
"But - it's a crawfish?!?!"
"And you don't shoot crawfish, just take 'em down"
And he walks off.

Next day I'm still processing this. Its run by the MO Dept. of Conservation - so government think is at play.

Their stands have 2 dense foam strips for targets top for standing, bottom for seated shooting. They are about 12 x 24" (h x w) and really would not hold much of a deer target AND they are strict about targets fitting the foam. Most use the double bulls eye that they provide. They have asked me to drop from 3 to 2 targets once before - don't see that RO there much and I still do 3 - they know that I'm pretty much picking out the centers.

SO, I'm going to have to think about wanting to drop $18-20 for an indoor range to shoot the two centerfire classes! ARG! I bet that before the month is out I will figure something out but I won't take them to Henges again - I shoot there too much to be on their bad side. I was dumbfounded. Another shooter stood back and listened and commented to me just after that he could not believe it - he thought the guy was joking.

BTW - other shooters got a big kick out of the targets - props to Chicharrones!
(BTW - your pizza is in the mail, should be there in a few days!)

Reactions: FZ1

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
0213 shootout ETOUFFEE 702 txt II.jpg 0213 shootout ETOUFFEE 702 txt IIa.jpg

Henges Range 02/06/13
Etouffee shoot 5 yds
Ruger SR-22
Win. 22LR 36gr. plated HP
SCORE: 100

Target #2 is in case that is the tie breaker of choice.

Man, am I glad we DIDN'T shoot this at 15' - shooting bullseye on the center worked on all targets but those small crabs - woah. For some reason shooting the edges was not so easy!

SR22 0213.jpg

The Ruger SR-22 i was shooting (thanks Tim!). 3.5" barrel - I'll be buying at the 5-6" range when I do!! Nice solid gun though.

Reactions: chicharrones
1 - 20 of 59 Posts