Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing the thought pattern of transporting 20# propane tanks, in my SUV.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Will the temperature increase enough for the pressure in the tank to vent?

Are 20# propane tanks capable of venting?

My wife will give me the stink eye if I kill myself.

Constructive comments will be appreciated?

Others will be tolerated :)

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Transport them/it in a milk crate so that it doesn't roll around...

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Not a problem unless you're a smoker. Then I'd find another way - like a hitch platform carrier.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
You would probably be amazed at how many are hauled in car trunks and forgotten about until time to fire up the grill again.
Yeah, but I'm thinking Chaffee, White & Grissom.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
You should not have a problem as long as they are stable and cannot move around. Also, if the cylinders are at a very low temperature from being outside in very low temps. I would not raise the temp in the vehicle more than 15 to 20 degrees higher than the temperature they have been at, if they have been at that temp for more than 12 hours or so. However, if it is just a short trip, you will be OK. ...............I think!:shocked:

Reactions: william

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
That is exactly what I do.
I have three propane bottles and I put each one in a milk crate and have never had a problem.

Texheim............you are so smart.
Were we separated at birth? :confused:

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
That is exactly what I do.
I have three propane bottles and I put each one in a milk crate and have never had a problem.

Texheim............you are so smart.
Were we separated at birth? :confused:
I don't have any money... :D

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
I don't have any money... :D
Hey!!!!!!!! That settles it! I don't have any money either.
We are related.:)
Now, when can I move in?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
You'll be fine. Good condition tanks and valves take very extreme temp differentials. As long as they aren't exposed to a torch or inferno everything is fine. Cookin' up something? A few years back most lp companies dropped the amount down to 15 lbs. in the 20 lb. tank rather than increase price. Nothing like an overnight 25% price increase.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I just landed a propane heater that attaches right to the tank and I own 2 - 20 lb. tanks. It looks like we may need some heat especially after dark.

Any sources in the immediate area to get or exchange propane?! Groesbeck?

They are both outside now - I'd probably bring them up to temp the day before instead of just tossing them in the van - the chance of venting as they warm is low but...

·
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did the wife send you the video of my driving?

You should not have a problem as long as they are stable and cannot move around. Also, if the cylinders are at a very low temperature from being outside in very low temps. I would not raise the temp in the vehicle more than 15 to 20 degrees higher than the temperature they have been at, if they have been at that temp for more than 12 hours or so. However, if it is just a short trip, you will be OK. ...............I think!:shocked:
In western Kansas 8+ hrs. is a short trip.

Not a problem unless you're a smoker. Then I'd find another way - like a hitch platform carrier.
The dragging with a log chain idea was discarded quickly :)

I'm telling you, the wife will be PO'd if I die, and she wasn't the cause. :huh:

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
I just landed a propane heater that attaches right to the tank and I own 2 - 20 lb. tanks. It looks like we may need some heat especially after dark.

They are both outside now - I'd probably bring them up to temp the day before instead of just tossing them in the van - the chance of venting as they warm is low but...
Try the Blue Rhino app....

·
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So, bring them in the house?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
So, bring them in the house?
They expand as they warm but I think it would take a very big change to get to the point where the emergency release valve would go off

if it does they should be upright in a vented area. Propane is heavier than air and will ( in large doses) head toward basement pilot lights. This is why keeping the upright is important - if they vent laying on their side the chances of venting liquid propane vs gas is much higher and much more dangerous.

That said - they are dumbed down and under loaded for the consumer market and the chances of anything are VERY low.

They are are banned in most tunnels on US interstates however but I don't think there are any of those between StL and the Waco area!!!

Do not repeat this to your wife!!!

time for a look at the distributor website! :)

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Was "Propane Tank Question" too mild of a thread title for you?

·
Registered
8,797 Posts

If not Groesbeck, Mexia (20 mi, +/-) for sure for exchange (Blue Rhino or another). Can't be sure, but don't expect it to get that cold - the, again.............................it's Texas weather..................who knows. LOL

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Try the Blue Rhino app....
Nice free Ap - thanks!!

i could play wait and see and grab some in Corsicania on the way in and return it on the way out.

Any firepits planned?!?! That might do the trick + S'mores!!! Wolf's down with that!!

·
Registered
6,724 Posts

Isn't Strickland propane around there somewhere?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts