Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've mentioned several times I plan to get one with my first SS payment sometime around Thanksgiving to Christmas.
But I'm not exactly sure what to get.

Main use will be target shooting, 100 yards or more.
Got my 24/7 for defense.
5.56/.223 or strictly .223? Don't want the expense of a Wylde barrel.
Barrel length for accurate target shooting, 20" or 24"?
Single or double stage trigger?
I plan to reload .223 for best performance and accuracy.
Standard sights.

I am putting an upper limit of $1000 for the basic rifle, and will add-on later with the extras.
Any brand will do, as long as it is off-the-shelf, no custom builds.

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
I would go with 5.56 just in case, not sure cost wise is much more. Keep in mind some of the basic models like the Basic DPMS do not come with a forward assist or dust cover. May not be a big deal to you but something to keep in mind.

Reactions: mingaa

· Registered
18,383 Posts
Definitely 5.56. If I understand right you can shoot either in 5.56 but not 5.56 in a .223 specific chamber.
I have the S&W M&P 15 Sport and it does not have a dust cover or forward asist. As to the forward assist that is the "indent" in the bolt carrier. Just put a thumb or finger tip in there and push, same effect. Besides if a round is being that hard to chamber I'm thinking I want it out of the gun instead of forcing it into place.

Not having a dust cover has not been an issue for my use. I use it at the range and 3 gun matches. It really isn't a big deal.

Otherwise you can play dress up just like the other ARs.

Here is a good review of the Sport. Mostly just to give you an idea of how unimportant these features really are to the average user.
? Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Definitely 5.56. If I understand right you can shoot either in 5.56 but not 5.56 in a .223 specific chamber.
I have the S&W M&P 15 Sport and it does not have a dust cover or forward asist. As to the forward assist that is the "indent" in the bolt carrier. Just put a thumb or finger tip in there and push, same effect. Besides if a round is being that hard to chamber I'm thinking I want it out of the gun instead of forcing it into place.

Not having a dust cover has not been an issue for my use. I use it at the range and 3 gun matches. It really isn't a big deal.

Otherwise you can play dress up just like the other ARs.

Here is a good review of the Sport. Mostly just to give you an idea of how unimportant these features really are to the average user.
? Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns
I agree most are unimportant, some people just want them for looks and can be caught off guard by not paying attention.

Reactions: darbo

· Registered
20,098 Posts
Who knows where prices will be when availability returns. I'm guessing that a lot of carbines with 16" barrels will become more affordable again. Some of the 20-24" barrel guns are looked on as specialized and lower build #s generally run prices up. The Stag #6 Varminter comes to mind as a starting place and based on the MSRP it could resurface at a reasonable cost.
24" 1:8 twist stainless barrel
Fixed stock
2 stage match trigger
5.56 / 223
No sights
$1055 MSRP with no current availability could translate into a lower street price with enough room to buy sights and a couple of mags for starters.

Stag Arms

Have a look - how does this sit with your taste / style??

Gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Cylinder

Reactions: darbo

· Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never seen 5.56 at Walmart, only .223.
Online prices for bulk 5.56 runs $0.90 to $1.10 a round in 500 or 1000 round case.
Whereas .223 is $37/100 when Walmart has it.
I also read that accuracy suffers a bit when shooting .223 in a 5.56.
Looked up the M&P15 and the MSRP is a heckuva lot more than the $709 in the video. Must be an old video.
S&W's website shows $839 up to over $1500.
I have 8 or 9 months to figure it out.

Oh, yeah, the gun shop where I got the bullets has Springfield Armory ARs starting at $850.

· Registered
123 Posts
I have an m&p15, I love it. I looked at a couple other manufacturers but the smith and wesson felt the best in my hands.

Product: Model M&P15 Rifle
I paid 1000.00 plus tax

· Registered
3,338 Posts
I would go for something like this

thats a windham Varmint Exterminator they were around 950 bucks pre panic and have a two stage trigger... I'd basically look for something with a fixed stock and about a 20 inch barrel. This particular rifle is .223 chamber it looks like but the vast majority of them will be a 5.56 chamber, I suspect the .223 chamber is alittle tighter. You might also see some called .223 wylde which is a cross between .223 and 5.56. You don't really need a dust cover or forward assist if your going to be using it for mostly bench shooting out past 100 yards. Or you might just want a stripped AR15 I mean even one with a 16 inch barrel is pretty accurate but to get the full potential out of the .223/5.56 you should look at something closer to an 18 to 20 inch barrel, I'd say 20 inch will be easier to find... You want more a rifle then a collapsing stock carbine it sounds like.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/UpdatedTechSheets/VEX-SSMSRPPRICING.pdf

· Banned
17,345 Posts
Get the lower, you can always get uppers later and several that will provide multiple arrangements. JMHO!

· Registered
18,383 Posts
I've never seen 5.56 at Walmart, only .223.
Online prices for bulk 5.56 runs $0.90 to $1.10 a round in 500 or 1000 round case.
Whereas .223 is $37/100 when Walmart has it.
I also read that accuracy suffers a bit when shooting .223 in a 5.56.
Looked up the M&P15 and the MSRP is a heckuva lot more than the $709 in the video. Must be an old video.
S&W's website shows $839 up to over $1500.
I have 8 or 9 months to figure it out.

Oh, yeah, the gun shop where I got the bullets has Springfield Armory ARs starting at $850.
Most of the ammo I have shot through mine has been .223, primarily because it seems to be more prevalent. Early on I was getting PMC 5.56 and after a while I started reloading.

I paid $640 for mine about 1 1/2 years ago. They have had steady and small increases in MSRP since then although I have no idea what has happened to pricing since the frenzy started. S&W makes about 8 or 10 different models. The Sport is the base model.

Like you said you have some time to shop. Hopefully prices will come back down to earth in that time!

· Registered
10,366 Posts
Colt LE6920's go for $1,047 at Walmart...when in stock.

For the price you can't go wrong....you're getting a top-tier AR in the same class as BCM and Daniel Defense as far as build quality.

· Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Silly me I thought you were lost on the Oklahoma Arkansas border. :D

Seriously I'd go with the 556 that way you can shoot either. JMO

· Registered
428 Posts
Howdy
dpms oracle is supposed to be a great buy. I have an ar dpms and like it very much. The oracle is within the price you
mention. Just my humble opinion.

Regards

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Colt LE6920's go for $1,047 at Walmart...when in stock.

For the price you can't go wrong....you're getting a top-tier AR in the same class as BCM and Daniel Defense as far as build quality.
The time of year you are looking WalMart will also have lay-away going, they will let you put them on lay-away, at least down here.

· Registered
549 Posts
Who knows where prices will be when availability returns. I'm guessing that a lot of carbines with 16" barrels will become more affordable again. Some of the 20-24" barrel guns are looked on as specialized and lower build #s generally run prices up. The Stag #6 Varminter comes to mind as a starting place and based on the MSRP it could resurface at a reasonable cost.
24" 1:8 twist stainless barrel
Fixed stock
2 stage match trigger
5.56 / 223
No sights
$1055 MSRP with no current availability could translate into a lower street price with enough room to buy sights and a couple of mags for starters.

Stag Arms

Have a look - how does this sit with your taste / style??
Great advice here. Stag to me in the rifle/AR platform is what Taurus is to me in pistols. Love them! I am a huge fan. I have 3 and have yet to be disappointed.

And the benefit of 556, in a pinch you can shoot either. You most likely wont see it for sale at Walmart. I keep some on hand though like i said just in case.

I paid 1000 for my model 2s so they are coming down in price.

· Registered
21,219 Posts
There's nothing like a 2 stage trigger, I don't care what rifle you're talking about. 2 stage all the way.

· Registered
2,562 Posts
As I've mentioned several times I plan to get one with my first SS payment sometime around Thanksgiving to Christmas.
But I'm not exactly sure what to get.

Main use will be target shooting, 100 yards or more.
Got my 24/7 for defense.
5.56/.223 or strictly .223? Don't want the expense of a Wylde barrel.
Barrel length for accurate target shooting, 20" or 24"?
Single or double stage trigger?
I plan to reload .223 for best performance and accuracy.
Standard sights.

I am putting an upper limit of $1000 for the basic rifle, and will add-on later with the extras.
Any brand will do, as long as it is off-the-shelf, no custom builds.
All other things being the same a .223 only chamber will be a little more accurate than a 5.56 but only slightly, in my experiance it is usually 1/4-1/2 MOA difference. Many times a better 5.56 gun will out shoot a .223 only, for me it's worth being able to digest either ammo and that's why I like the .223 Wylde. Almost .223 only accuracy and the ability to shoot either cartridge, never seen it make a difference in price, just not a lot of companies making rifles chambered in it.

Barrel length has no affect on accuracy, it will affect velocity though. For long range paper or varmint hunting the added velocity and terminal performance will help. 20" is the best compromise for weight, portability but still having good velocity. Guess that's why 20" was std on the original M16?

I prefer a single stage trigger but that's just me. Either can be great triggers but most AR shooters prefer a 2 stage and so does the military for it's designated marksmen.
If it is strictly a paper puncher and only defense if pushed into that role, look at the varmint models of the major brands. Stag, Smith, Bushmaster, DPMS, pretty much everyone makes one, imo the best of the non customs is the Rock River Rock River Arms: NEW LOOK! Varmint Rifle A4 they make from 16" to 24" all very accurate, come with a nice 2 stage trigger, chambered in .223 wylde and my work sells them right at the $1000 mark.

If not a varmint model I would recommend saving money and buy a S&W sport or DPMS sportical, both can be found for under $700 and will allow you to purchase optics and a trigger both very important to a good target gun, IMO. You can change to a more target barrel or upper as your desires and pocket book allow.

In another post I see you mention Springfield ARs. To my knowledge Springfield Armory only makes M1A rifles, no AR 15s. Maybe you are speaking of Armalite? They are the original and good rifles but nothing special IMO.

· Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In another post I see you mention Springfield ARs. To my knowledge Springfield Armory only makes M1A rifles, no AR 15s. Maybe you are speaking of Armalite? They are the original and good rifles but nothing special IMO.
I did not actually hold one or look at any. The wall behind the counter had a large "Springfield Armory" sign and was surround by about a dozen AR style in various configurations. The man behind the counter said they were 5.56/.223. I suppose I should have asked to hold one, but we were sorta rushed at the time to get back home. Next trip will take the camera and actually ask to look at one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.