Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The whole story. A gentleman contacted me stating he had contacted OH AG asking about AZ. OH AG told him he had to have an AZ Drivers License with his AZ Permit/License to be legal in Ohio. So I looked at the Agreement AZ and OH signed (You can View it Here: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - Arizona Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreement

It states Resident twice. No other AZ Agreements state this with other states. No other Ohio Agreements they have with other states state this unless the state has it in their laws. (MI, SC & FL). From the paper work and confirmed by the OH AG they will not honor the AZ non-resident permit/license. Arizona started the paperwork and AZ put the Resident Only wording in the agreement. This agreement was signed in 2004.

The AG’s Office called me today after I sent an email asking them about all the permit/licenses they honored and if they would honor all those states Non Resident Permit/Licenses. I was just confirming this so I would have the correct information on Handgunlaw.us I never mentioned AZ etc. They confirmed they would honor all non-resident permits from states they honor except for Arizona. I told them it would be nice if they would put that info on their website. The AG’s Office told me they would forward my idea to put “Resident Permits Only” out from AZ on their reciprocity page at: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - Reciprocity agreements If they will do that or not I do not know.

I am updating the site this evening late and all the pages I upload will have a date of last updated of 4/20/12 as that was my scheduled update date. I believed I should get it posted as quick as possible.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Thank you for the update, Gary....much appreciated.

·
10,379 Posts
Good to know, thanks Gary.

Well, so much for getting the AZ permit so I'd be legal for the 15 minutes I'm in OH when I drive down to TN, I'll just throw 'er in the case (fully unloaded) before I hit the IN/OH border.

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
Good to know, thanks Gary.

Well, so much for getting the AZ permit so I'd be legal for the 15 minutes I'm in OH when I drive down to TN, I'll just throw 'er in the case (fully unloaded) before I hit the IN/OH border.
Other states have non-resident permits, like Texas. The way I understand this post they'll honor everybody but AZ, so just pick another state. Texas is just on the other side of Arkansas from TN.

·
10,379 Posts
Yeah, but I have to look at how much it's gonna cost me and what hoops do I have to jump through. I haven't really looked at TX, but FL and UT are way out of my range at the moment.

AZ was a copy of my hunter's ed certificate, fingerprints ($5 at the local cop shop), and $60. AZ along with my WI and PA licenses would have gotten me all of the other states I'm liable to ever go to.

Most of the others that I've looked at cost way more than that and require special classes that cost easily $100+, not worth the hassle for the limited amount of time I'll be out of Wisconsin.

Oh well, not really worth the bother. Who knows, maybe the WI DoJ will finally get off it's collective a$$ and actually try to get some more reciprocity agreements.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
South Carolina Instructors offer classes for the Utah non-resident permit.
Kinda expensive.

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
Yeah, but I have to look at how much it's gonna cost me and what hoops do I have to jump through. I haven't really looked at TX, but FL and UT are way out of my range at the moment.

AZ was a copy of my hunter's ed certificate, fingerprints ($5 at the local cop shop), and $60. AZ along with my WI and PA licenses would have gotten me all of the other states I'm liable to ever go to.

Most of the others that I've looked at cost way more than that and require special classes that cost easily $100+, not worth the hassle for the limited amount of time I'll be out of Wisconsin.

Oh well, not really worth the bother. Who knows, maybe the WI DoJ will finally get off it's collective a$$ and actually try to get some more reciprocity agreements.
Texas would be $100 for the class, which you would have to take in Texas, plus application fees of another $60-$70 bucks I think? Sounds like the AZ non-resident permit is too easy to get.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THe Florida permit is expensive but it is good for 7 years. Most others are 4 years.

·
10,379 Posts
Texas would be $100 for the class, which you would have to take in Texas, plus application fees of another $60-$70 bucks I think? Sounds like the AZ non-resident permit is too easy to get.

Too easy to get? Really? I'm not gonna get into a pissin' match over how everyone thinks it oughta be done, but, I will say my WI CCL was a copy of my hunter's education certificate and $50, bam...good for 5 years. My non resident PA LTCF was $26 with NO additional paperwork besides the application and it's good for 5 years.

I had serious reservations over the AZ permit due to fingerprinting. The only reason I gave serious thought to it was I'm already in so many databases due to an old job I had one more set of prints out there ain't gonna hurt me.

People need to wake up, the Right to Carry is just that...a Right. We've allowed the .gov to turn that into a highly taxed Privilege, so long as we meet their arbitrary requirements. The worst part it...a lot of people think that's how it should be, because they're afraid of what might happen if something bad happens. Punish me for what I do, not for what I may do.

Bah, look at WI for instance...we had permitless open carry. We fought for lawful concealed carry...and now we pay a $50 tax for the Privilege of letting our shirt or coat cover the grips of our firearm...and a lot of people called that a "win".

(Please don't think I'm ranting expressly at you, I'm not, it's just been one of my pet peeves since forever it seems)

I think I woke up on the wrong side of the dog house today.

Reactions: taylorman2034

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Boy, I wonder if I can have a "triple residence" and still be legal! I would love to be a resident of Arizona and Texas, and at the same time a resident of IA ! :D

·
Registered
537 Posts
THanks for the update. Keep up the good work! We all appreciate it!.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Washington has never honored TX. TX will honor WA. WA does have an agreement with FL. FL refused TX because they issued to Military and vets under 21. FL just passed that law. They will most likely drop FL in the coming days. When the do FL will drop WA. TX will most likely keep on honoring WA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts